It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Elvis Presley
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:55 pm 
Flame

Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Elvis Presley (Part 1) : If ever a single musician deserved credit for taking the essence of Rock ‘n’ Roll music out of the shadows of African American culture and the early tunes of Chuck Berry and Ray Charles, and almost singlehandedly propelling it into the limelight of the American public, that musician is Elvis Presley.

And with his boyish allure, southern charm and enigmatic presence, Elvis Presley is a subject that one could spend half a lifetime digesting. Today is the time for you to acquaint yourself with ten things you probably did not know about the man affectionately referred to as The King.

1 - He was born an identical twin: Elvis Aaron Presley entered the world a few hours before dawn on the 8th January, 1935. He was born to the young couple Vernon and Gladys Presley, in a tiny, two-bedroom ‘shotgun house’ that Vernon had built in preparation of his new family. But, Elvis did not enter this world alone. A mere 35 minutes before he was delivered, Gladys had, with great difficulty, delivered Elvis’s twin brother who was tragically stillborn. The Presleys named the baby Jesse Garon Presley before laying him to rest in an unmarked grave, and chose Elvis’s middle name, Aaron, in remembrance of his stillborn twin brother.

Elvis’s close friends and family have said that throughout his life, Elvis was tormented by a great sense of grief and guilt for his lost twin. His mother, Gladys, has even said in interviews that she felt that his semi-lucid sense of loss was the crucible that forged his destiny to achieve great things, because he “possessed the power of two people, and was living for two souls.” Certain psychologists that have chosen to study the enigma of The King’s mind have also agreed with Gladys’s views, describing it in what they term as the ‘twinless twin syndrome.’

They say that once a person is made aware that they once had a twin, it sets in motion a never ceasing emotional pendulum within the person’s psyche; on one hand such a person feels the insurmountable need to prove themselves unique and a completely separate person, but on the other hand, yearn for contact with their lost twin and endure painful feelings of guilt due to their success. In fact, later on in his life, it was clear to those around him that Elvis was never at rest emotionally, and he himself would refer to his dead twin as his “original bodyguard.” It is said that he also sought communion and re-union with his twin through books, religion and meditation, sensing that his dead brother was a spiritual guide who directed him to search for meaning in life.

2 - He did not really want his first guitar: When Elvis turned 11, his parents could not afford the bicycle that he wanted for his birthday so he asked his parents for money to buy a rifle instead. His mother, who was not too pleased with his second choice of gift, managed to talk him into getting a guitar instead, and the young Elvis bought his first guitar for $12.95 from the local hardware store. It was with this guitar that Elvis would build his musical journey on, starting with a few simple guitar lessons from friends and uncles. He would also go onto use the guitar for his very first recordings with Sun Records that would open the floodgates to his fame.

But, his obsession with guns would continue through later life. At the time of his death Elvis had nearly 40 guns in his possession including a sub-machine gun. And according to those closest to him, Elvis was fond of having a few guns on or around him at all times. They even recall how he used to shoot at TV sets if they showed either Robert Goulet or Mel Torme.

Elvis was also reported to have even performed a few shows with a pistol in each boot after receiving an assassination threat. Elvis was awarded a medal for marksmanship and another for sharpshooting during his service in the United States Military and also had a Smith & Wesson signature revolver designed in his honor.

3 - He had a strange way with women: The legend is that Elvis could make any girl fall into bed with him by just looking into her eyes. Even before the fame and super-stardom, Elvis exhibited an ability to charm and enthrall women; he was fired from his first job as an usher of a local movie theater for accepting free candy from the girl who worked the concession stand. And with his meteoric rise to fame, Elvis was soon signing ‘Elvis’ on the left breasts of star-struck female fans and ‘Presley’ on their right. He would also eventually date some of the most beautiful women in America from actresses to beauty queens. Elvis’s enigmatic pull over the female mind was such that the first riot after one of his shows took place in Jacksonville, Florida, after he closed the show by saying “Girls, I’ll see you backstage.” It is also reported that Elvis had a significant problem with teenage boys wanting to beat him up on his tour stops.

Still, for all The King’s enchantment over women, he was also afflicted by a troubling psychological complex. Suffering from a troubled childhood beginning from the day of his birth when he lost his twin, Elvis grew up being smothered with affection and over protected by his mother. This in turn resulted in Elvis growing up an emotionally stunted man-child, who needed someone to take care of him at all times. This also resulted in a deeply ingrained fear in Elvis that he might be inadequate as a lover and a paranoia that he would not live up to women’s expectations beneath the sheets. Elvis thus developed a psychological complex which drew him uncontrollably to young virgins whom he felt would not demand full-on-sex from him and would not have any prior experience to compare him against. This led to Elvis developing a series of strange relationships with girls as young as 14 while he was in his early twenties. Elvis was even reported to have turned away gorgeous and willing 20 year olds from his bed during this period of his life.

Although Elvis’s fascination with what he termed as his ‘young cherries’ might disturb some, it is reported that Elvis never moved beyond heavy petting and kissing with his younger ‘lovers.’ In fact his agent at the time, Byron Raphael, has stated that he would more often than not teach the girls to put on make-up the way he liked and stop at heavy make out sessions. Raphael also recalls one incident in which he brought three young girls into Presley’s bedroom. He says that even then Elvis did not go beyond kissing and affectionate fondling, and eventually fell asleep with his arms around them, as his records played in the background.
Like Elvis himself was fond of saying – “Don’t criticize what you don’t understand, son. You never walked in that man’s shoes.”

4 - He only performed five official concerts outside the United States: Despite his immense popularity the world over, Elvis performed a mere five concerts outside of the United States, and all of those in Canada. He did give an impromptu performance while on leave from the U.S. Army in Paris but it was not an official concert and he never performed outside of the United States again.

Although he was planning a European tour at the time of his death, his lack of worldwide appearances was partially attributed to the international travel restrictions his manager Colonel Tom Parker faced, due to his shoddy past. Before signing on to manage Elvis, the Colonel was a small-time crook and was infamous for painting sparrows yellow and selling them as canaries.

The Colonel and The King shared a love-hate relationship due to the Colonel’s overbearing style of management that Elvis felt at times restricted his creativity and freedom. Yet, most of Elvis’s close friends have observed that a person as emotionally fragile as Elvis needed the Colonel’s firm hand guiding him on some level, and that was the reason that they stuck together for so long. It is also reported that the Colonel got 50% off everything Elvis made since 1967 and also earned additional pay as a technical advisor for all of Elvis’s movies.

Last edited by Liliane on Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Elvis Presley
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:01 pm 
Flame

Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Elvis Presley (Part 2):

5 - He owned a pet chimpanzee: No rock star is complete without his eccentric possessions, and Elvis truly understood this when he adopted a chimpanzee named Scatter from a children’s entertainer in Memphis. Scatter was a well trained performer and also had a proclivity for peeking under women’s skirts.

Elvis is said to have found this trait hilarious and was known to amuse himself by gathering his female friends together and unleashing Scatter on them. Scatter died of liver failure due to the drinking problem that the he developed over his tenure with The King. There are also rumors that a maid poisoned the chimp after it had bitten her. (Rumors that Scatter peeked under the maid’s skirts and ran around yelling the color of her knickers are yet unconfirmed)

6 - He was threatened with arrest for gyrating: In August, 1956, Juvenile Court Judge Marion Gooding attended one of Elvis’s early concerts in Florida and was treated to an eyeful of The King’s grooving hips. The judge later threatened to have Elvis arrested if he did not tone down his stage act and warned him that he would only permit “limited side-to-side movements.”

7 - There are an estimated 250,000 Elvis impersonators.: You only know you have hit it big when significant numbers of people start imitating you; and Elvis enthusiasts and magazines worldwide place the number of Elvis impersonators anywhere between 80,000 and 250,000. But you know you are a god on earth when you have an entire association dedicated to the profession of imitating you. While Iron Maiden have the Iron Maiden’s, The Beatle’s have Beatlejuice and Oasis have No Way Sis, Elvis Presley has the A.P.E.P.T.A – more commonly known as the Association of Professional Elvis Presley Tribute Artists.

8 - He was a natural blonde: Elvis’s signature slick and shiny raven hair was actually a dye job. The King was in fact born blonde and started dying his hair black to achieve an edgier look. The hair dyes he used to achieve his signature look are Miss Clairol 51D and Black Velvet & Mink Brown by paramount. Elvis has also confessed to dying his hair with black shoe polish in his do-it-yourself salad days.

9 - He was a religious punter…of sorts: In addition to his over the top jackets and bell-bottoms that would sometimes weigh over two stone, Elvis also wore a cross, a Star of David, the Hebrew letter Chai, and other religious symbols around his neck. His reasoning behind this was quite simple – “I don’t want to miss out on heaven due to a technicality.”

10 - He traded a $5000 watch for a $5 one: Rock ‘n’ Roll super-gods in their own right, the members of Led Zeppelin were reportedly huge fans of Elvis and were desperate to meet him while touring the US. They finally got the chance to meet The King in Los Angeles in 1973 and were pretty much rendered speechless. Apparently the only thing John Paul Jones could do during the initial stages of this meeting was compliment Elvis on his watch. The King in true princely fashion had then broken the ice by promptly swapping his 5000 dollar gold and diamond timepiece for Jones’ Mickey Mouse watch.

Elvis Presley who charmed the whole world with his undeniable talent, good looks and charisma passed away at his Memphis home, Graceland, on August 16, 1977, bidding farewell to his millions of fans that mourned his loss as they would a family member.

(Article, Source: L. Fernando, The Sunday Leader)
(Source Elvis Info Net)

Last edited by Liliane on Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:13 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks, fun stuff about Elvis! He was quite "outlandish" and his sense of humor
was a wild thing most of the time. He did enjoy Scatter...and was heart broken
when he was told he'd died; he told me that he felt it was his fault for "neglecting him so much, being gone etc" and that the chimp was used to company, doing things and putting him out in a cage caused him to be depressed etc...he had a long story about it. I remember only one clear thing about that chimp, it had
the "deadest" feeling hands, it's skin felt like paper or something that wasn't human really. But he had real emotion in his eyes, it was a thinking and understanding creature...intelligence showed via his eyes. Elvis loved him, the ape loved him more.

I liked Elvis' dark hair better than blonde...but he was a true blonde, blue eyed boy and I liked teasing him about that- he'd call me a jezbel redhead and we
changed "insults" regarding our hair colors and personalities a few times...all in fun of course. The dark hair did set off his looks better...showed up those eyes and as I teased him, made his "big head" look smaller (I meant swelled
up by his self importance big head). He'd laugh, it was all about laughing and
having fun with him most of the time.
Enjoyed that read a lot-
wjh

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:35 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

:hello: Thank You Liliane for Finding and Sharing these Things about Elvis, some I have heard of before. But others I haven't , it seems as though there are New Things coming out about Elvis all of the time. :hug:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:02 pm 
Site Admin

I just feel like posting this brief section of a conversation- it's not as detailed
as some we had concerning this subject- but those were not recorded and this
was:

l974 He was in Vegas, not feeling well, trying to go to sleep. He was alone/no one "loves me enough to stay" he teased.

Wanda: So you have to sleep alone, poor baby boy.
Elvis: Ain't it a shame! God, ya know, gettin' used to it, don't bother me much any more---bein' alone, I mean.
W. Well, you aren't really, you have so many people who'd cut off a finger just to stay with you.
Elvis: Yeah, guess so. I don' like bein' alone...much except sometimes an' this is one of 'em.
W. It's good to spend some time with yourself, at least it is for me.
Elvis: Me also...I like bein' home ya know, spendin' time bein' me, myself and
I... (Laughs) remember that don'cha?
W. Yeah, I think my grandmother said that a hundred times...mainly because I
talked too much...asked questions.
Elvis: (Snickers) Ask me somethin'...
W. Okay, well, there must be a dozen or more young women waiting to meet
you, why don't you pick one?
Elvis: Told you, wanted to be alone a while... ya know, jus' want to be me a
while...
W. I see, it's the image you are tired of huh?
Elvis: Yeah,
W. Maybe if you picked someone a little older they would have more to talk
about?
Elvis: Yah, but they don't stay long...got lives ya know, somethin' else to do.
W. Bound to be some who would give that up to stay with you.
Elvis: We're talkin' about me, not the image...the fella layin' here.
W. Okay, what kind of girl do you want - the "fella" not the image?
Elvis: Oh, some body who don't have a lot of nailed down ideas, someone
who will listen to me an' do what I say...yeah...I hear you! you're thinkin'
I'm bossy!
W. (Laughs) Aren't you?
Elvis: Yeah, sometimes. I just would like to find a nice woman who don't want to change me into what ever she thinks I should be...who wants to be here because I'm just me...not...not HIM, that son of a bitch image!
W. I know, I was teasing you, it has to be hard to get around that image though Elvis, it's what you project out there so strongly, it's you also.
Elvis: Well, one of these days I hope there is a lady who will just see it as
a-a front...a- a part I play...a role kind of ya know? Gawd... I love that role... it's...it's my life...a big part of me, I know it...but...but... it's not somethin I
can change an' women want to do that...want to change me, how I think,\
an' feel...they expect the image to be- be me....an' don't see it as a role
I play....like a movie character...understand what I'm sayin'?
W. I do...I happen to like the fella behind the image...but then I met him before I ever really knew much about the image...so yes, I can see it easily.
Most women you meet only know you by the image, so of course they want to
see what they think they know. I guess it is a scary thing for you, having to
always live with that and wonder if it's just that image, or is it the real you
they see and want.
Elvis: Right! Gawd- Right! I never really know...most of the time; an' a lot of
time I-I...this sounds awful...even thinkin' it (laughs) I don't -don't know how
to be the...image off stage very well...I mean I'm jus' human...not a scene out
of some movie...understand? I mean, livin' up to their ideas of that image is
is hard to do...an' yeah, it's easier if the lady don't expect too much of me...so
so...usually, they go way thinkin' I'm more than I ever could be! (Laughs)
W. Good idea actually, always leave them wanting more...huh? (Laughs)
E. Yeah...most of 'em go away thinkin' next time! An' it don't usually happen.
W. Okay, good plan! If it works, keep it on the list-right?
Elvis: Gawd, it's nearly 2 an' I can't sleep so might as well get up an' find somebody else who ain't slept either!
W. well, probably there will be someone...from what I've heard some of the
others don't sleep well in Vegas.
Elvis: It's all the people down there-the whole town-the many thoughts an' such thrown at us, you know, people comin' to see us, then those who come an' don't get in and all that...it - it's like bein' bombed with energy waves or
somethin'...I can feel it sometimes, heavy man, gawd damn heavy!

Elvis often spoke about how the Bible (his favorite book) said that it was good for a man to keep his woman a virgin before marriage and even after, that the man would find favor with God
if he did this, but if he did not or could not, then God would bless him also, and
his woman as well. They were to be faithful to each other; as long as they were happy and did God's will they would be blessed as a couple, but if they could not be happy, could not get along, then they should separate and he said
that a man ought not hold his wife in a cage like a bird etc and let her go if she wanted to be free...even if he didn't want her to go and still loved her. He had
strong ideas about women, he believed if a man loved a woman he would keep
her safe, keep her virgin until he married her. He did not mean that a woman
ought to always be what we think of being "virgin" meant, but that they should
wait to be married "before God" and till after they were man and wife. This
would make them both "pure" in God's eyes and sanctify their union and he always said he belived both parties should practice faithfulness.
All the things said and told about him, what he thought and did and etc by so many who never met him, never spoke to him, never really cared to when he was alive, and now they sit down and compose things that come from hearsay,
gossip, imaginations and suppositions about what he did, thought and was...it is amazing to me. I know that I am not an expert on anything about him really,
and that even though I knew him and we talked, that does not mean I really did get the facts straight from his heart and mind...I know only what he wanted
me to know... but that is true in any relationship, friends or other...we never do know entirely what that person thinks or believes...ONLY what they want us to know. It sure does bother me though, when I read things that seem so off from what I heard him say about his life and thoughts. And from what I know he did, tried to do and how he tended to live outwardly the way he believed and spoke about. Well, this is way too long, but I wanted to "let him have his say" about his views of "wanting young girls etc" and that little piece of conversation is pretty clear and honest from him.
Now, he was no saint, and was the first to say so...but he was honorable and
he was truthful and he did try never to harm anyone in any way. That is a given.
wjh

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:53 pm 
Flame

Dear Wand I love you post.

I love your conversation with me. He had a hard time living with the image that I had to understand.

He could find someone you love him for just him. Also he need time for himself too.

Thank you for sharing this special conversation with him.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:41 pm 
Site Admin

Hi, I really am glad that you posted those articles Liliane! And the last one gave me a chance to let him sort of "respond" in his own way...I hope it helps others who read both, have a chance to judge what he says along with what others write and say, that way it's "fair". Elvis always did seem to gravitate toward younger women but again, they were just about all he got to meet most of the time, he attracted them, fer sure! He did have older female lady friends, some did visit with him now and then and stayed in Vegas with him so we can't say it
was "always" the younger ones. When he met a girl he liked and who seemed to like him enough to want to get to know him, the man, he kept them around with him longer. Linda for instance was with him almost 6 years and he was happy with her around, she helped him get through his day he would say. And they shared
similar interests in books etc as well as she was pretty good at putting up with the guys- and she was beautiful as well and very sweet and easy going with him.
He at one time considered marrying her, he wanted more kids, said so and she
tells that they talked of having babies and he knew she wanted to marry him.
However right in the middle of all that, he was feeling bad, his colon was acting up and he could have died during the treatment used to save his life. It was
a life changing moment for Elvis; it changed how he looked at his future. At first I didn't see that, but after a few comments over a couple of years I thought
he knows something is seriously wrong and then in late 75 I realized that he was very worried, and that it was going to kill him and not too far down the road...but he wouldn't really discuss it other than to say he did not think he would live to be 50 or maybe 52 "if I'm unlucky enough". Now I realize he meant
"unlucky enough to hang on that long" and that he knew it wouldn't be anything
any body would want to live with or through. For years I wondered and tried to figure it all out and then he died, and things began to come out a little but
after the true facts began to come forth, it's clear to me that Elvis really did
a good thing when he practically forced Linda to leave him, to let her think he was a rotten cad after all, chasing women in front of her etc...he did it to let her have a life, something "better than hangin' on to me" is how he put it...
he didn't want her to see him going down hill, suffering because she could not
save him etc... I understand. I know it crushed her to have him turn into that
"image guy" who was cheating on her etc, but maybe now she understands what really happened...he didn't not love her...he loved her too much to let her see the end results coming down. Again, always the protector...he played the devil to save an angel. Linda did all she could for him, took more off him than any female would because she did care; he knew and regretted having to be that guy, he said "I'm gonna have to do somethin' ", "I'm gonna be her worst nightmare." and I am sure that was exactly put.
wjh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:13 pm 
Flame

I love what you say in your last post. I think the same ways.

I understand that he had a hard time to live up to the public image of himseilf. When he was on stage his jumpsuit was like a trademark wtih style and colors and stones and capes.

At home, he like to be just himself and enjoy simple thing of life. And had the time to be with his precisous daughter Lisa. And to be at home at Graceland in his private quarter.

During the year 1975 his doctor order him six months of rest. And he had many test medical durng this time also He knew that his health was falling apart. And he didn't want Linda to rescue him again And he didn't want her to seeing dying. Linda Thompson was a beautiful lady and he want her to have a life without him, even he love her very much. He care so much he plan her to leaving he would break his heart too.

Lat night I saw viewing again "Elvis by the Presley" and Priscilla say exactly the same thing. She want him to change too.

Quote:
Elvis: Yeah, sometimes. I just would like to find a nice woman who don't want to change me into what ever she thinks I should be...who wants to be here because I'm just me...not...not HIM, that son of a bitch image!

For me, I had better understanding him today

He had a strong public image for the fans and the public . A concept of himself and he didn't like much.

He was a man also with ground fondation from his parents and from a humble home in Tupelo, Mississippi.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:56 pm 
Site Admin

You got that right Liliane, it was a hard thing for him to try to accept the image people had from the real man. He always said, from early days to the end days that "if people knew what I'm really like, they'd be very disappointed". Poor baby, some might have, but most of us would have loved him even more to be allowed
to get to know that fella behind the image.
I am so glad that you came here Liliane, you have found some very interesting
articles and writings about him and they are all of great importance to his legacy.
Thank you so much for all your work and careful thought.
Love
wjh

I have to add that I sent you an email, I hope that you can resolve what is
going on with your email address quickly. I believe it is some crafty con person
using it and your name. It has happened to others from this site in the past
but been a long time. Let me know your new email should you have to get one
as probably you will, some had to get new ones 2 times to stop it.
:(

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:41 pm 
Flame

Thank you for your comment. I like it very much. It's say exactly want I think also in a lot of way.

Whe your watch his movies they created him a Hollywood image with a look, fashion and everything. He look great in all of his movies.

After we had the new Elvis look with his concert in Las Vegas, with his jumpsuit and cape. He gave his fans the best.

I think for him, he was difficult to live up to that kind of image all his life. The fans only know a small part of him.

The Colonel created a icon and tne fans didn't know the real Elvis, the man. And it's true today.

He gave us a legacy to be proud of him and to be remember to be a part of American Heritage with his songs and songs and everything.

In his life he was a sky person who want to be ordinary, to be normal. But he was more went he sings and to be on stage to be with his fans.

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]