It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: "New Petition for "Elvis Presley Airport"
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:19 pm 
Flame

"New Petition for "Elvis Presley Airport": There is a new petition that fans should sign, for Memphis to rename their International airport. ... Since the death of Elvis Presley millions of fans from across the world have travelled to Memphis & Graceland .. Graceland has had over 16 million Visitors since it opened it's front door in the early 1980's.

Elvis has brought much needed revenue to Memphis providing jobs to local people within the hotels , Airport , Eateries, Shops , Clubs , Cafe's , Zoo.

Elvis' undeniable success and contribution to Memphis Music makes this campaign a worthwhile tribute to honour Memphis' most famous resident. Liverpool renamed their Airport John Lennon airport many years ago ..Memphis should honour it's most famous Son by renaming their Airport 'ELVIS PRESLEY INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT'

http://www.change.org/petitions/the-int ... port#CLICK HERE to sign.

(News, Source;BrianQuinn/ElvisInfoNet)

Post subject: Re: "New Petition for "Elvis Presley Airport"
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:41 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

:hello: Thank You Liliane for Posting this, I have Signed the Petition when this was Posted on Face Book. But I For Got all about Posting the Petition on here, So I'm so Thankful to you Members to Remember, Want I Forget. Elvis' Name on Memphis Air Port should have been done a Long Time ago! :love:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:43 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

:hello: Image :hug:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:16 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

Thank YOU Liliane, for bringing in the opportunity to sign the petition. I doubted I could being from overseas, but I found out that it was not problem at all. :P

I invite all the people from other countries to sign! :hello:

Elvis said: "LOVE is what it's all about." :*::*: Now I know it's true.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:38 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

I signed from Switzerland some days ago!! :) :bouncy:

"ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE IF YOU ONLY BELIEVE"

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:09 pm 
Flame

Marty Lacker joins the campaign to rename Memphis Airport in Honor of Elvis: EIN is happy to report that Marty Lacker recently wrote to a leading member of the Memphis City Council to help boost the campaign to rename Memphis Airport.
Here is his letter below -

Councilman,

I am compelled to write about this matter, especially in light of the hoopla and the honors bestowed upon Whitney Houston in New Jersey by the Governor of that state, Mr. Christie. I write this on behalf of the memory of Elvis Presley.
To give you some background I was with and close to Elvis for twenty years, was his right hand man for a number of years and Co-Best Man at his wedding. I also was one of the leaders of the Memphis Music Industry from the late 60's to the mid 70's when at that time most in the Memphis Music Industry left for other music cities primarily because the powers that be here showed the music industry people that
they really didn't care about them or appreciate what the industry did for the city both financially and publicity wise. I kid you not.

I had the pleasure and honor of proposing to then Mayor Loeb that to honor Elvis the city could at least change the name of Highway 51 to Elvis Presley Blvd. because at the time the newspapers kept writing stories that people kept suggesting that the airport, the downtown auditorium or something should be named for him. I can tell you that all the hoopla it was an embarrassment to Elvis. The Mayor even made the mistake of asking Elvis what he wanted named after him, that is not an honor if he had to do that in his mind. In late '71 I was asked by the Mayor to be the speaker to the City Council after the Mayor proposed the street name in order to get the Council to vote to name the street. I was proud to do that on behalf of my friend Elvis. It was passed.

I am also proud that in honor of my accomplishments in the music industry back then, I was recently honored with a Beale Street Blues Note, Memphis' version of the Hollywood Walk Of Fame in November,2010. I conceived the idea of The Memphis and Shelby County Music Commission in '72 and went before the County Commission and got it established. I was its first Chairman and also was a co-Founder of the Memphis NARAS Chapter (The Grammys).

Enough about me and now the reason I am writing.

There is a campaign now in the worldwide Elvis world by many of Elvis' millions of fans to have the Memphis Airport named after Elvis just as many other cities have named their airports for their distinguished late celebrities. Elvis put Memphis on the worldwide map in the 50's and it has continued through today. The city has realized millions of dollars because of what Elvis did here and he always called this home as opposed to anywhere else he was. He touted Memphis to many throughout the country. The millions of people that have visited Graceland because of him since his death have brought to Memphis not only great worldwide publicity but hundreds of millions of dollars that they spend in Memphis businesses as well as the city,county and State realizing millions of tax dollars over the last 35 years. He is a gift to Memphis that keeps on giving.

If the Gov. of New Jersey can order the flags in the State to be flown at half mast for Whitney Houston, don't you think the Council and the Mayor can see to it that the airport bears Elvis' name? Whitney was a great singer but she was no Elvis Presley, no artist has been. None of them had the impact on a city or world as he did. He changed the culture of the world in the 50's.

I turn to you because as I've mentioned before in emails I think you are the most common sense,competent Council member today and I would love it if you would run for Mayor. I would greatly appreciate it if you would initiate this matter in the Council and the Mayor by proposing that this be done by the city. If I can be of help please call on me.

Name it after Elvis and I can assure you that the world will know about the airport and where it's at.
Respectfully, Marty Lacker
Note -.. Memphis should honour it's most famous Son by renaming their Airport 'ELVIS PRESLEY INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT' CLICK HERE to sign the petition.
(News, Source,MartyLacker/ElvisInfoNet)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:45 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

wow...! Thank you Liliane for the promptitude in finding and sharing with us that letter.

So we are in debt with Marty Lacker for more than I could guess... Excellent! :P

Marty Lacker talks about how Elvis and he first met, in Elvis Information Network (EIN):

"Elvis and I went to the last year of high school together at Humes High in 1953. We were not close there but were aware of each other because we both basically dressed alike, unlike most of the guys back then, we wore colorful flashy clothes. Shortly after Elvis came out with his first record I went into the army but saw him perform locally just before I went.
Shortly after leaving the army I went to Graceland to see him which was just after he moved there, I never left. He later asked me to go to work for him and then I was named his right hand man for a number of years.

In late 1967 I quit to start a record company in Memphis where I discovered Rita Coolidge and produced her first hit record. I later ran Chips Moman's American Studios and then became one of the leaders of the Memphis Music Industry when it was the third largest in the world.

At the same time, I was with Elvis almost every night when he was home at Graceland . I went on some tours with him,to the Aloha Show and also many engagements in Vegas. I did that until the late 1976."

Read the whole interview here:
[url]
http://www.elvisinfonet.com/interview_m ... _2005.html [/url]

Elvis said: "LOVE is what it's all about." :*::*: Now I know it's true.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]