It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: I am a Elvis fan - am I?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:12 am 
Flame

Maybe I am that was is common called a fan of Elvis Presley. I love his voice, his music and the man himself, not only of his extremly awsome appearence but for the human he was.

Recollecting my life I like to tell how it all starts.
I remember Elvis singing his first sucessful and famous record "Thats All Right, Mama" in 1954, when I was around 6 or 7 years old. The next thing I remember is when I was 14 years and were with my parents on vaccation. At the hotel we stayed were another family which had a daughter of my age. She was a huge Elvis fan. One day we discovered in a local newspaper the advertisement of Elvis' film "Blue Hawaii". So she bagged her father for days to bring us to the cinema, which was located around 20 km away in a next, bigger village. At least he gave in and luckily we could see the movie.
To be honest: I was more impressed by the beautiful scenery of Hawaii than of Elvis. Of course I thought what a good-looking man he was, but liked more the ambience of Hawaii and his singing in the movie. From that time on I played his records whenever I could affort to buy one. And this would continue till today, sometimes more, sometimes less, but always was he one of my favorite singer to me - even with 14 years I was a big Beatles fan too..
Later in life, when I grew older I discovered Elvis again. In a bookstore I delved among books, autobiographies, and came across with a book about Elvis, a biography written by Pamela Keough. I was going through the book and it made me curious. So I decided to buy it. After reading this first book I wanted to know more about the man. As much I read about Elvis, his life and career, as much I got more curious and I started to buy and collect nearly every book
I could my hands lay on. After reading a few book I dedected very fast all the contradictions, halftruth, lies, what was the real motivation of the authors and I was shocked how much damage this so-called "friends" of Elvis did to him, the man they called "my best friend", who feed them on his table. I couldn't believe all this things what were written about the man, my favorite singer.
Deep down inside me I felt that all this couldn't be true. I cannot explain why I was so sure that all this people visualized a wrong picture of Elvis. So I started my own research - thanks to the innovators of the world-wide web.
At first I came across with Elvis fanboards and I was flabbergasted to see how much fanboards exist. I thought by myself "wow, all this people are Elvis fans and know a lot about the subject of their admiration". But after a short time I was disappointed by all this self-appointed "experts". I noticed that the real reason to be in Elvis forums for their members mostly is not first to talk
about Elvis, exchanging thougths and views but just plain showmanship and to dominate and cussing other members if they didn't agree with their opinion. Very disappointed I leave all this boards because it made me ill - till the day I heard in another forum about ELC. There were members, talking about Wanda and her book "We remember Elvis" (which I don't own) That made me curious again because it was not clear to me what was the reason for such a bad attitude and behavior. Like always, I like to make up my own mind and I searched for ELC. I couldn't trust my eyes as I read all the stuff there.
For the first time I read things about Elvis what covert pretty much my own result of my research. I was astound to see there were people who admired Elvis, but didn't try to critize every little step he did, every fault he made, every wrong note (in their ears) he sang, and... and... and. All this made it easy to me to leave all fanboards. But here I feel a common understanding of what was the man, called Elvis. I love his songs, his voice which touched me deeply in my heart and soul.
Hearing his Gospelsongs, this brought me back to God. I lost my confidence in Gods representatives here on earth.
He contrived me to see my human fellows with other eyes, not waisting time in hating people, whatsoever they did to me. In my mind he lived to Gods commandments, showed us what it means to be faithful to others, console and help them.
First I became a fan of him for his music, later on - as I learned and knew more about him - I became a much bigger fan. Often people don't understand why I am so devoted to a man who ist more than 35 years dead. Maybe they think I am in love with him btw. his image. I don't know. Even so many men like to be like him, they are jealous of him. What a nonsens.
And if - as a woman - you defend Elvis (like I do) in every way that is possible, they won't understand. I never was interested on him because he was such a handsome man or the greatest singer and entertainer (for me).but I was more curious and interested in for the man behind the image.

I remember a day before two years ago. My 85 year old mother was in my house. I was playlng the laughing verson of Elvis' "Are You Lonesome Tonight?"
Suddenly my mother startedd to smile and to giggle. I asked her what the matter and she told me:" I don't understand no word of the song but this laughter - It makes me laughing too. Hearing his laughter and you know what kind of person he was.

And that's the real reason why I am call myself a Elvis fan - am I?

Post subject: Re: I am a Elvis fan - am I?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:36 am 
Site Admin

Of the "highest order" I'd say; you see the man he wanted to present but was held back by his "image" in many ways. What you and many others like you, are seeing, is the real spirit that was the man, the spirit within the good looking body etc...that spirit came out through his eyes, his heart and his voice, never more strongly than when he was on stage singing praises to God...and some of the obviously not thought of as "gospel" songs were also, love songs to his Lord...
and he sang them in that way...that is why they are so touching to us, that voice reaches into our inner heart...where all the love in the world lives. More people need to open their heart door just a little bit wider and this world would be a better place for us all. It's a hard thing to do, I know that personally because I've struggled with trying to "love everyone" even if they seem unlovable for years. And in today's world...boy, is it difficult at times! Too borrow Elvis' words, "if you don't mean it, don't toss it out there; God ain't gonna listen-He ain't got the time." He was speaking of praying etc... That line stuck with me and lately (election time) it has come back-probably to keep me from being angry all the time...
wjh

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:55 am 
Flame

I am an Elvis fan - am ! ?

A little long stories how I became an Elvis fan ?

I saw my first french Elvis movie at age of six "Blue Hawaii" but he sangs in english. But for me, it's one my favorite movie. After that, I watch most of his movies, but they always the same one.

Like most people I know a little about his life. I remember on year when 8 or 9 year old a CJRP radio station in Quebec City. They do a radio week-end about the life of Elvis Presley. For the first time, I heard songs that I never ear before. And I like the early sun record. And I found it very interesting.

After that I hear for the first time, one saturday night one my Elvis favorite song "The wonder of you". For me, It's my song.

So after that, I began to buy Elvis records more of the latest one and none before the 50 and 60 era.

TO BE CONTINUED...

Last edited by Liliane on Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:46 am 
Flame

One more time I have to agree with you, Wanda.
Elvis' eyes were a mirror of his soul - and he had a beautiful soul! His beauty were not only outside but also was relayed deeply of the purity of his soul.
He had a piercing look and I think if he looked into people's eyes he could see through into their heart.

Whenever and wherever I meet other people my first look is into their eyes
Eyes cannot lie, but tell a lot of what kind the person is. That's the experience I made more than often in my life.

@ Liliane - great to hear how you became a Elvis fan. :hello:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:36 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

AngelEyes, I just read your story how you "met" Elvis. Thank you for sharing with us, this is vey touching!! :hello: :hug:

"ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE IF YOU ONLY BELIEVE"

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]