It is currently Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Elvis meets Nixon
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:20 pm 
Flame

This work of mine I posted in two other boards too but I think it would be interesting to know everything about this meeting.

On the morning of December 21, 1970, Elvis Presley personally delivered a hand-written letter on American Airlines stationary to a security guard at the northwest gate at the White House. In the letter Elvis stated that he want to meet with President Nixon and give him a gift. He also indicated his desire to gain the credentials of a federal agent in the war on drugs.

Dear Mr. President
First I would like to introduce myself. I am Elvis Presley and admire you and Have Great Respect for your office. I talked to Vice President Agnew in Palm Springs a week ago and expressed my concern for our country. The Drug Culture, The Hippie Elements, the SDS, Black Panthers, etc do not consider me as their enemy or as they call it The Establishment. I call it America and I Love it. Sir I can and will be of any Service that I can to help the country out. I have no concerns or motives other than helping the country out. So I wish not to be given a title or an appointed position, I can and will do more good if I were made a Federal Agent at Large, and I will help out by doing it my way through my communications with people of all ages. First and Foremost I am an entertainer but all I need is the Federal credentials. I am on the Plane with Sen. George Murphy and we have been discussing the problems that our country is faced with. Sir I am staying at the Washington hotel Room 505-506-507. I have 2 men who work with me by the name of Jerry Schilling and Sonny West. I am registered under the name of Jon Burrows. I will be here for as long as it takes to get the credentials of a Federal Agent. I have done in depth study of Drug Abuse and Communist Brainwashing Techniques and I am right in the middle of the whole thing, where I can and will do the most good. I am Glad to help just so long as it is kept very private. You can have your staff or whomever call me anytime today tonight or Tomorrow. I was nominated the coming year one of America's Ten Most outstanding young men. That will be in January 18 in my Home Town of Memphis Tenn. I am sending you the short autobiography about myself so you can better understand this approach. I would love to meet you just to say hello if you're not too busy.
Respectfully,
Elvis Presley

In his memo to H. R. Haldeman, White House Aid Dwight Chapin described the purpose of Elvis Presley’s unexpected visit: to become a “Federal agent at large” to work against the drug problem by communicating with people of all ages.
After a brief discussion with Presley and his bodyguards, Nixon Aide Egil Krogh was convinced of Presley’s sincerity and of his potential value in the fight against drug use by young people. He asked Elvis to return to his hotel and to wait for a phone call. Shortly afterward, Krogh learned that the meeting had been approved and quickly drafted an agenda for the 12:30 meeting.

Elvis Presley arrived at the northwest gate of the White House at 11:45 for his meeting with President Nixon. Nixon Aide Egil Krogh met Presley and his bodyguards and led them to the Oval Office reception area. At 12:30 Krogh and Presley joined the President in his office. Krogh was present throughout the meeting and made detailed notes of what was said.

Elvis present for President Nixon:

continue...

Post subject: Re: Elvis meets Nixon
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:37 pm 
Flame

Following his meeting with the President , Elvis Presley and his bodyguards ate lunch with Egil Krogh in the White House dining room. Presley received his badge that afternoon from the Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs.

A secretary wrote this note to her friend:

Several days later the President sent Elvis Presley a warm thank you note with best wishes for the new year.

After 13 months of secrecy you can read about the meeting in the press:

Enjoy. :hello:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:52 pm 
Site Admin

Enjoyed reading and seeing everything in sequence; you know, Elvis never said a word about going there for quite a long time. He finally did but swore me to secrecy etc because he was "undercover" as a drug agent and he didn't want to ruin it or be "mistrusted by the government officals". He was so thrilled to be inside the Oval Office and meet the President. He gave the fellow (whose name I can't recall even though I just read it!) credit for getting him an appointment on short notice. He was so sincere, he wanted to be able to help and he was of help; there were several narcotic raids and some people caught because Elvis
found out by being "Elvis" etc and providing a place for an undercover agent to join his group- I have no idea who that agent turned out to be either. But Elvis had been approached about his airplane would be a good way to transport etc and not be
suspect by any feds etc because it was just Elvis Presley going to work etc...he
was quick to decline apparently and it was he related, astounding how much money was involved in illegal drugs. And he was sick at heart thinking of the many kids who'd get hooked so easily on some of those drugs. He said that heroin could hook some people the first time they tried it depending on their
susceptibility to the drug. He spent a while doing some "in depth research" so he'd know more about how drugs affected people and why some could be so quickly hooked. He was very proud of that badge, carried all the time and also carried his certificate for Shelby Police Department and could have suited up and gone to work there- he said. He said that was his second career choice-
police work, and his mom didn't want him to do that or go to the military for a job. I recall saying I was very glad he decided to "suit up and sing" instead and
he laughed, saying he enjoyed suiting up and singing. He was thin in these photos, it was 71 and his whole world was on the verge of coming apart around him regarding his marriage and family life; apparently he and Pris had a big argument and he just wanted to get away for a while and decided to take up the offer. That "purple" suit he was said to have worn, was midnight dark blue and not really purple at all, unless one was a tad color blind. There was a short cape jacket but not in this picture, it was just a suit coat made for Elvis in these pictures. I guess the cape was more for outdoor wear like an over coat would be?
I'm glad he got to go to the White House and visit President Nixon, another Capricorn guy. Elvis spoke of how close their birthday's were, and how both
had "become famous".
Thank you AngelEyes for all your "in depth study and research". Elvis would appreciate that phrase...he used it often.
Love always,
wjh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:10 pm 
Flame

They made a movie called "Elvis meet Nixon" about this meeting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNvcTQWdF9Q

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:42 am 
Site Admin

The movie is more "comedy" and "silliness" than Elvis ever would have been when doing something he felt seriously about, and being at the White House and meeting the President. He did not wear that purple/violet colored suit, and he was not swishing and etc or speaking in such a childish way. Now Elvis was an "innocent" in that he had retained his sense of awe and eagerness and enjoyment of simple and not so simple events, however the film makes him come of as very spoiled and childish and kind not so smart etc. I was disappointed and most people I've met who had seen that movie, were not prone to say it was "good" or even interesting enough to watch the whole thing; no one put it on tape for watching again. Most who were fans were disappointed and even angry at how he was portrayed; some didn't bother to watch much of it at all. I sat through it, and felt embarrassed for both Mr. Nixon and Elvis. I can just about hear what Elvis would have thought! And he would have been hurt that the producers of the film didn't take him seriously and turned it into a parody of both he and the President. It's a shame, but that's always how it's been where he was concerned,
misunderstood, misrepresented and misguided...and I'm sure a bunch of other similar words. He said, of the films he made and the things said of him in print, "They got to make a living; just wish they'd grow some brains an' come up with something real once in a while."
Thanks for posting all the things about the "meeting", it's great to see the REAL thing even if we don't get to hear the dialogue. I wonder, since most everything going on in the Oval office is taped - will we ever?
wjh

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:03 am 
Flame

The movie is the same crap as the film about Elvis' life in which was Priscilla the "advicer"..... :roll:

The reality and truth, which is documented, turns out to be always different.
Too often is told stories that are untrue and without any proof.

Thanks Wanda for your kind words. I'm glad you enjoyed my work. :hello:

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]