It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: What People thought and said about Elvis
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:32 am 
Flame

I don’t think that Elvis let anybody down. Personally, I don’t think he owed anything to anybody. I think that, as it was, he did more for most people than they’ll ever have done for them in their lives. The trouble that he ran into, that’s the trouble that you run into. It’s hard to keep your head above the water, but sometimes it’s not right for people to judge the way they do. I don’t think Elvis sold out when he lived in Graceland – people never sold out by buying something. It wasn’t ever something they bought; it was something they thought that changed.”
I remember when I was nine years old and I was sittin’ in front of the TV set and my mother had Ed Sullivan on, and on came Elvis. I remember right from that time, I looked at her and said, “I wanna be….just---like… that!”
– Bruce Springsteen -

“Elvis had the power over people’s imaginations that would enable him to obtain high office.”
– Richard Nixon –

“Elvis Presley’s music was thrilling because it dissolved the signs that had previously put adolescence together. He celebrated – more sensually, more voluptuously than any other rock ‘n’ roll singer – the act of symbol creation itself.”
– Simon Frith –

“I think deep down Elvis never worried about anything catchin' or passin’ him. But he certainly never acted like he was a big cock o’ the walk. He was very humble by the fact that he was risin’ so fast. He didn’t know what was happening, but he took it and handled it very well. I think he lasted under the pressure longer than any of us could have.”
– Carl Perkins –

“He came around, apologized for the way he’d changed “Blue Moon Of Kentucky”, and I told him that if it would help him get his start and give him a different style, I was for him a hundred percent.” – Bill Monroe – (B. Monroe was the blue grass king at that time and has written and originally released this song)

“I don’t know what those Presley records have, but I put them on yesterday and the switchboard lit up like Gary Glitter Gulch in Las Vegas. I still can’t make out half the words of “Mystery Train” and “I Forgot To Remember To ‘Forget”. ‘But the kids seem to get them. He hits them like a bolt of electricity. My phone hasn’t stopped ringing. ‘Take my word – he’s gonna bust wide open into the biggest thing that ever hit the music business.”
– DJ Bill Randle of radio station WERE Cleveland 1955 –

“The first thing I heard when I got back to the States was that Elvis Presley recorded “Mystery Train”. It was a brand-new recording and it just tore me up. I couldn’t get it out of my mind. I liked it and for the first time in my life I considered music as my profession. This Presley sound was something else – like millions of other listeners, I was totally consumed by it … the first time there was an Elvis Presley record, it was an approach and rendition that no other singer had ever done before. It was a brand-new sound, a brand-new feel; it came out of left field. It took this country by storm, and it’s hard to describe all those feelings.”
– Conway Twitty, returning to the US after army service in Germany –

“When I came out they wasn’t playing no black artist on no Top 40 stations. I was the first to get played on the Top 40 stations – but it took people like Elvis, Pat Boone, Gene Vincent, to open the door for this kind of music, and I thank God for Elvis Presley, I thank the Lord for sending Elvis to open that door so I could walk down the road, you understand?”
Elvis was in the front row on the night Art Rupe came along to hear me. I drew attention to him and he stood up and took a bow. He watched me like a hawk all the way through my act, then afterwards there he was waiting for me, a good-looking dude in a white suit with two or three of his guys. After the show he said, “Man I love your act, you’re the greatest!
– Little Richard –

“It may surprise you – but I am a Presley fan! Elvis recently saw my folks in California and told them he was a fan of mine – that I had been an inspiration to him. What that boy has done is phenomenal! He has busted many of the disc sales records I held, in little over a year.”
– Mario Lanza –

I knew that I had never met a more polite, handsome and unselfish gentleman. He was unspoiled and kind and he made this (birthday) the most wonderful days of my life. When he left, he gave both (childhood chum Mary Lombardi) and me autographed pictures, and he even asked for my autograph. It was close to heaven as I could ever imagine feeling.”
– Laurin Chapin, recalling a surprise birthday party given for her by Paramount Studio –

“Elvis came to my Deer Lake training camp. He told me he didn’t want nobody to bother us, he wanted peace and quiet. I don’t admire nobody, but Elvis Presley was the sweetest, most humble and nicest man you’d ever meet.”
– Muhammed Ali –

“What really surprised me was the extraordinary talent of Elvis Presley. He took to his part as if he had been a dramatic actor all his life, with a particular feel for Odets’s colorful and poetic dialogue.”
– Philip Dunne, director on “Wild in the Country”.

“I was outside working one day and Mr. Elvis and this other gentleman came walking up to where I was. Mr. Elvis shook hands and said “How are you Albert? Is everything all right?” Fine Mr. Elvis, Fine. How are you? Doing just great, Albert.” The other man didn’t speak, he just kind of nodded. Mr. Elvis looked at the other man and told him “You shake hands with him too. He works for me just like you do”. The other man shook hands with me.
– Albert Clark, handyman at Graceland for twelve years –

“Elvis is the greatest blues singer in the world today.”
– Joe Cocker –

“I’m crazy about Presley’s understanding of what he does.”
– Bobby Darin –

“Elvis was the original punk. I would not have had a musical career without him. In fact, every pop singer or group today borrowed from Elvis, and if they say they didn’t, they’re liars.” – Gary Glitter –

“I don’t know anybody my age that did not sing like him, at one time or another.”
– Bob Dylan

“That’s my idol, Elvis Presley. If you went to my house, you’d see pictures all over of Elvis. He’s just the greatest entertainer that ever lived. And I think it’s because he had such presence.”
– Eddy Murphy –

“Elvis produced his own records. He came to the session, picked the song and if something in the arrangement was changed, he was the one to change it. Everything worked out spontaneously, nothing was really rehearsed. Many of the important decisions normally made previous to a recording session were made during the session. What it was, was a look at the future. Today everybody makes recordings that way. Back then, Elvis was the only one. He was the forerunner of everything that’s record production these days.”
– Bones Howe, record engineer and record producer –

“In his heyday, when he was really hot, there was an explosion of energy between Elvis and his audience. I wasn’t a wild fan of Elvis, but put the man on stage doing his music and you got something more powerful than the sum of its parts. You got magnetism in action. Maybe it was sexual, I don’t know, but if ever a performer could get up onstage and turn a crowd into crashing waves of energy, it was Elvis. Yet Elvis couldn’t really whip up a Las Vegas dinner- show crowd on a regular basis. I went to see Elvis one night on the Strip and I thought: What is going on here? There was Elvis up there working his ass off, and the crowd was just kind of politely exhausted. They clapped and whistled, but you couldn’t feel them giving anything back. I felt like jumping on top of a table and yelling Hey, everybody, that’s Elvis Presley up there! You should be jumping up screaming.”
– Willie Nelson –

“I not only place responsibility for Elvis death on the doctors, but I place it on the people around him, too. They continued to it. I think that people like Col. Tom Parker should not have allowed him to work when they became aware of his problems. If you notice the disintegration of Elvis Presley in the last three or four years – his weight problem, he almost collapsed on his last concert when he came off the stage. What are we talking about? We’re talking about a money machine. They should have taken action. Allegedly they love him. Everybody. Every time you read an article, they say,” I was devoted to Elvis. They greatest man that ever lived.” You can’t be devoted, take his money and watch him kill himself.”
– John O’Grady, former L.A. Police Department officer, Private investigator and friend –

“You that have written books about him, you must remember he has a very pretty little young daughter growing up who is not going to like what is being said about her daddy. I would like to say to her regarding all the bad books written about her father that there is more than enough good to cover up all the bad.”
– Nancy Rooks, Cook and maid at Graceland.

“Elvis Presley’s death deprives our country of a part of itself. His music and his personality fusing the styles of white country and black rhythm and blues permanently chanced the face of American popular culture. His following was immense, and he was a symbol to the people the world over to the vitality, rebelliousness, and a good humor of this country. Elvis may be gone, but his legend will be with us for a long time to come.”
– Jimmy Carter, ex-president of the U.S.A -

Post subject: Re: What People thought and said about Elvis
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:08 pm 
Sun Dial

:hello: Angel Eyes, Thank You for Posting these Wonderful Nice Comments that People have said about Elvis. It is So Refreshing to read about The Man Elvis, Not the Image and Some Body that Couldn't Never Be The Man Elvis Presley Was and Still is. I Also Include the Most Awesome Singer and Actor that Ever Was Born in the Country. :love:

Without you I am nothing an could never be so bold. The times we've shared, the laughter and the tears. Priceless memories, treasures all. How could I ever fail? With you I don't fear that at all. Elvis Presley!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:02 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

Thank you, AngelEyel, I love reading that quotes, makes me feel so proud and happy for Elvis!!!! :D :hug:

"ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE IF YOU ONLY BELIEVE"

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:15 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

Quote:
“I was outside working one day and Mr. Elvis and this other gentleman came walking up to where I was. Mr. Elvis shook hands and said “How are you Albert? Is everything all right?” Fine Mr. Elvis, Fine. How are you? Doing just great, Albert.” The other man didn’t speak, he just kind of nodded. Mr. Elvis looked at the other man and told him “You shake hands with him too. He works for me just like you do”. The other man shook hands with me.
– Albert Clark, handyman at Graceland for twelve years –

This one moved me to tears...

Elvis said: "LOVE is what it's all about." :*::*: Now I know it's true.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]