It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Elvis on National TV
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:12 pm 
Flame

As of December 1955 Elvis had still not made an appearance on national television. His manager Colonel Tom Parker negotiated a deal through Steve Yates with CBS's "Stage Show" for four appearances on the show in January 1956 at $1,250 each and an option for two more at $1,500 each.
Harry Kalcheim, an agent with William Morris Agency, which represented Elvis, was upset that Parker had booked Elvis through another agent. Colonel Parker, in a straightforward letter written December 16, 1955, chastised Kalcheim for his lackluster attempts to book Elvis. Colonel told him that writing a letter and then sitting back and waiting to hear a reply was no way to sell Elvis. He continued, "If I waited for someone to call me with deals all the time, I would have to start selling candy apples again. Nuff said..."
On Monday, January 23, 1956, Elvis, Scotty, Bill and D.J. rehearsed in Memphis for their television debut. Elvis and the Colonel flew to New York on Wednesday the 25th. They stayed at the Warwick Hotel on 52nd Street. Scotty, Bill and D.J. drove from Memphis to New York and arrived on Friday, January 27th.
"Stage Show" was produced by Jackie Gleason and hosted by big band leaders Jimmy and Tommy Dorsey. The thirty-minute program aired on Saturday nights at 8:00 PM as a lead-in to Jackie Gleason's "The Honeymooners."
Elvis and his band rehearsed at Nola Studios in New York on the morning of Saturday, January 28th. That night the show aired from CBS Studio 50. It was raining and the then-unknown Elvis Presley did not draw a large studio audience. Also appearing on the show were singer Sarah Vaughan and comic Gene Sheldon. Tommy Dorsey introduced Cleveland disc jockey Bill Randle, who, in turn, introduced Elvis to his first national audience by saying:
"We'd like at this time to introduce to you a young fellow who, like many performers - Johnnie Ray among them - came out of nowhere to be an overnight big star. This young fellow we saw for the first time while making a movie short. We think tonight that he's going to make television history for you. We'd like you to meet him now - Elvis Presley."
Elvis wore a black shirt, white tie, dress pants with a shiny stripe, and a tweed jacket. He sang a "Shake, Rattle & Roll / Flip, Flop & Fly" medley and "I Got a Woman." The audience reacted with both shock and interest. The show received an 18.4 % ratings share while its competition "The Perry Como Show" on NBC received a 34.6% share. The option was picked up and Elvis appeared a total of six times on "Stage Show."
For these appearances the band rented instruments in New York while Elvis associates Red West and Gene Smith transported the band's own instruments to the next concert appearance using a pink trailer that Elvis' father Vernon had built for this purpose. After the fourth "Stage Show" the rented standup bass that Bill Black had enthusiastically played had to be repaired. Bill had broken the neck, sound post and the back of the instrument. The repairs cost $32.96.
Elvis' sixth and final "Stage Show" appearance was on March 24, 1956. That night Carl Perkins was to have been on the opposing "Perry Como Show." However, Carl had been badly hurt in an automobile accident on the way to New York. That night on "Stage Show," out of respect for his friend Carl, Elvis refused to sing Perkins' "Blue Suede Shoes" as previously planned and instead sang "Money Honey."

:hello:

Post subject: Re: Elvis on National TV
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:21 pm 
Sun Dial

:hello: Angel Eyes, You sure know how to Post Great Articles. I have seen Video Clips, of this Show. :love:

Without you I am nothing an could never be so bold. The times we've shared, the laughter and the tears. Priceless memories, treasures all. How could I ever fail? With you I don't fear that at all. Elvis Presley!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:14 am 
Flame

Thanks Barb. I always try to share my informations or what I found during my yearlong research. I have a lot of documents which I always use when I write one of my "special reports". All what I want is that people can see through all this lies and myth that surround Elvis.
I stopped to write on other so-called "fan boards" because I decided for myself, that they are not worth for sharing my knowledge. The experience that I made is that, especially if you are a woman, all this so-called "Elvis-experts" try to insult you, calling you a liar, a dreamer and if they have no other arguments, so they say: Oh, you are a woman that is in love with Elvis and see him through rose-colored glasses.
Most of them are men, thinking they are the only ones who "knew" the truth. But all what they are doing is to put Elvis down of their own level - the same what did and do his "buddies".
If people/fans are really interested to find out what kind of human Elvis really was, they must question all, seeing through the motives why they are trasing him and may some day the real fans will know the truth.
And this is my only intention: To expose the lies and discrepancies. I'm just trying to give Elvis back his dignity that was stolen from him. And if I succeed just a little bit, then it is worth all the work and effort.

And I think that I'm not alone in my efforts to defend Elvis. :hug:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:11 pm 
Sun Dial

:D No Angel Eyes You Are Certainly Not Alone, in the So Wonderful Efforts you are Doing to Defend and to Get Elvis' Dignity Back That Was Stolen for Only 2 Reasons Greed, and Jealousy. I also know how you Feel about being other Fan Groups, you can usually tell Right Off if they are True Elvis Fans that don't Believe the Lies that has and continues to be told about Elvis and that Knows and Understands the Difference between the Man Elvis and the Image Elvis. So I Gladly Stand With You Angel Eyes, in Doing All I can to End the Lies and to Get Elvis' Dignity Back! :love:

Without you I am nothing an could never be so bold. The times we've shared, the laughter and the tears. Priceless memories, treasures all. How could I ever fail? With you I don't fear that at all. Elvis Presley!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]