It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Elvis historian Cory Cooper: The King ‘had such...
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:07 pm 
Flame

Elvis historian Cory Cooper: The King ‘had such an importance and a deep impact on the history of music’

If the King of Rock and Roll was still alive, he would be 78 years old. Instead, our minds will travel back to Aug. 16, 1977, when the world was stunned with the tragic news of Elvis Presley’s death at age 42 in Memphis. The continuing Michael Jackson trial in Los Angeles, with its shocking medical revelations, is eerily reminiscent of the way Elvis died.

Las Vegas has become home to all things Elvis ever since: tribute artists, slot machines, wedding ministers and more. Brandon Bennett presents his show, “Elvis My Way,” on Friday night at Sam’s Town, where it’s a King’s all-weekend celebration. All guests dressed as Elvis eat at the buffet for free; Elvis movies will play nonstop at Roxy’s; plus, there’s an Elvis karaoke contest on Sunday.

It’s incredible that nearly four decades after his death, Elvis is still an imposing figure, and it speaks to the impact he and his music, which first shocked a nation, are still making. Nevada played host to Elvis during his career as if it was his second home.

I reached out to Elvis historian Cory Cooper, an authority on the King’s life and music who regular contributes to books, movies, and online and TV projects about the swivel-hipped singer guitarist.

As a sought-out authority on Elvis, Cory draws from his vast knowledge and deep ties to Elvis’ world, including band members, performers and members of the “Memphis Mafia,” the group of bodyguards, friends and employees who worked with and protected Elvis.

Here are Cory’s thoughts:

“Tomorrow marks the 36th anniversary since the passing of the King of Rock and Roll, Elvis Presley. As we look back to celebrate his life and career, we can truly see what made him so unique and special. Not only did he earn more gold, platinum and multi-platinum records than anyone, he also has sold more than 1 billion records worldwide.

“Elvis has a rich history in Nevada. Most people know Elvis performed in Las Vegas and starred in the movie ‘Viva Las Vegas’ in 1964, but he started in 1956 with shows at New Frontier. It wasn’t until 1969, when Elvis made a triumphant return to Las Vegas at the International — later the Las Vegas Hilton and now simply called LVH — that these shows became legendary. Elvis performed 837 sold-out shows to more than 2.5 million people during that time, and it was said that the population of Las Vegas would increase 10 percent every time Elvis was in town.

“What seems to almost be a mystery are Elvis’ performances at Lake Tahoe. Not much seems to be said about these shows, but Elvis performed at Del Web’s Sahara Tahoe, now the Horizon, in 1971, ’73, ’74 and ’76 for a total of 98 shows. Elvis performed only once in Reno at the Centennial Coliseum, now called the Reno-Sparks Convention Center, on Nov. 24, 1976.

As a white artist, Elvis had such an importance and a deep impact on the history of music and for the barriers of music to be knocked down. Elvis was the most controversial person in music at the time his career took off in the early 1950s.

“He liked fancy and bright clothing that he bought from Lansky Brother’s Clothing on Beale Street in Memphis and wore his hair in a pompadour style. The way Elvis danced and moved onstage was seen as too suggestive and vulgar to many people, but Elvis was just doing what came natural to him when he sang and moved to music.

“He not only revolutionized the way we listen to music and for music to be accepted, but he set off hysteria felt around the globe. When Elvis came on the scene, black artists were not on white radio. Music was segregated; there were ‘race records.’ Elvis opened the doors for people to accept black music. People went back and discovered Little Richard and other fantastic black artists.

“It became so popular that legendary music producer Jerry Wexler changed the phrase from race records to R&B. Rhythm and blues was now accepted, and black artists were being recognized and went from local and regional acts to international stars.

“From Paul McCartney and John Lennon to Jimmy Page and Robert Plant, to Tom Petty and Bruce Springsteen, all were all influenced by Elvis. There was truly nobody like him. He was a unique performer, and he was the American dream. He came from humble beginnings and became the biggest superstar in the world and sold more records than anyone else in the history of music.

“All the while maintaining his gracious ways and manners and always appreciating his fans. This is part of what endeared himself to the world along with his tremendous talent, charisma and showmanship. Younger generations are becoming Elvis fans because they enjoy what he was all about and realize his importance and iconic status in the history of music.

“That is why Elvis continues to be so relevant and influential today. So, sit back, put on some Elvis music and enjoy your day.”

http://www.lasvegassun.com/vegasdeluxe/ ... -importan/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:33 am 
Site Admin

AGAIN YOU FOUND A TREASURE!!! "GOLD" - YES... TO THOSE WHO READ
AND LEARN AND COME BACK FOR MORE. MANY TIMES THIS SITE IS THE VERY
FIRST TIME PEOPLE WHO ARE/WERE NOT FANS AS THAT WORD IMPLIES, BUT
WHO LIKE HIS MUSIC, AND SOME WHO JUST "FOUND" HIS MUSIC! THEY ARE THE ONES THIS SITE IS FOR...MORE SO THAN THOSE WHO ARE AWARE THAT HE WAS NOT THE DRUGGED UP, OUT OF TOUCH MANIC AS HIS "FRIENDS" WHO
GOT FIRED FOR THEIR OWN "BEHAVIOUR" WROTE ABOUT AND THAT WAS RELEASED JUST BEFORE HE DIED. THAT HE HAD TO THINK ABOUT THEIR "FEELINGS AND WORDS" WAS JUST ONE MORE NAIL INTO HIS HEART.

SO LILIANE YOUR FINDINGS, THEY ARE IMPORTANT!!! AS ARE ALL THE THINGS
POSTED THAT REPRESENT THE REAL MAN BEHIND THE IMAGE...HE ALWAYS WAS QUICK TO SAY, "THE IMAGE IS ONE THING, THE MAN ANOTHER". NO ONE BUT ELVIS COULD KNOW WHAT THOSE WORDS ACTAULLY MEANT TO HIM.
THE MAN.

HE SAID HE WASN'T PERFECT, ONLY JESUS THE CHRIST WAS MADE A PERFECT MAN, AND LIVED HIS CALLING WHILE ON EARTH. HE NEVER CLAIMED TO BE INNOCENT, BUT HIS FAMILY SAID HE "DIDN'T LIE"- AND ELVIS SAID, "I TRY NOT TO OFFEND GOD, MY FAMILY AND MY FANS..." "I DON'T DO EVEN HALF
THE THINGS THAT YOU CAN READ ABOUT ME DOING...WHERE THEY CAME UP WITH SOME OF THAT STUFF, WELL, IT'S ANY BODY'S GUESS..." AND HE
WOULD SMILE AND SAY GOOD BYE.

I TALKED WITH HIM ON AND OFF FOR ABOUT 15 YEARS, BUT I WAS ONLY IN HIS IMMEDIATE PRESENCE A VERY FEW TIMES. I KNOW THAT HE NEVER DID LIE ABOUT HIMSELF, HIS ACTIONS AND THOUGHTS WERE WIDE OPEN IF HE TRUSTED YOU; NOT SO MUCH IF HE DIDN'T. HE TRUSTED THOSE WHOM HE
HIRED TO WORK FOR HIM, DEPENDED ON THEM FOR SAFETY TO HIMSELF AND HIS FANS WHO OFTEN "LOST IT IN THEIR EAGERNESS TO TOUCH ME, ETC"
AND HE FORGAVE THE MANY SCRATCHES AND CUTS, BRUISES AND LONG LASTING FEARS OF BEING "TRAPPED" IN A WILD CROWD OR SEEING OR HEARING THAT A FAN WAS INJURED..."BECAUSE OF ME". IN THOSE YEARS WE
TALKED HE TOLD ME THINGS I'D NEVER HEARD, HE GAVE ME HIS TIME, AND THAT WAS A REAL TREASURE, INTANGIBLE BUT POWERFUL. I WILL NEVER
FORGET HIM, I DON'T WANT HIS FANS NEW AND OLD TO FORGET AND SO I
WROTE ABOUT THOSE YEARS WE TALKED, IT WAS THE ONLY WAY TO LET HIM BE SEEN AS THE GUY BEHIND THAT IMAGE. THANKFULLY, MANY OF HIS TRUE FRIENDS AND THOSE WHO WORKED FOR HIM IN THE PRIVATE SETTINGS OF HIS HOMES, HAVE COME FORTH WITH TRUTH, NOT "FICTION FOR BIG MONEY"
BUT TO REVEAL THE MAN WHO BECAME "ELVIS".
He said of his fans, "they'd be very disappointed to see me when I'm at home, jus' bein' me. I don't wear those fancy suits except on stage." And he would laugh.
wjh

Post subject: Re: Elvis historian Cory Cooper: The King ‘had such...
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:56 pm 
Flame

Thank you Wanda for your great post and I like it very much.

I learn a lot with your forum over the year, reading all your wonderful conversations you had with him on the phone. In his private life, he was just a regular guy even his wore fancy clothes, that made his trademark and the jumpsuit became part of it.

At the beginniing of his career he made also a few interviews and after he return from the army in 1960. After that no more.
Elvis made a few interviews in over the year in Las Vegas in 1969, in Houston in february 1070, and in september and november 1972 for the "Aloha concert".

And the Colonel didn't want Elvis to be interview at any cost and that never happen at the time. He want the fans to pay to see him on stage everywhere on the USA.

How can we know who is the real Elvis this's hard to tell.

We know about the movie's star because he had made a lot, and he had so much charisma, that the studio didn't want to change it, they would lost monies. Even if you see all of his movies in chronogical order he look much beautiful with his natural hair color early 1960 and later in 1963 his black hair.
And when he did his movies, no more interviews.

After that the 68 Special and his return to Las Vegas. Even if he talk about his career on stage being part of his monologue in his very funny was, a side that we didn't know about him and was lost too. Who is the man behind the image is very hard to tell.

If Wanda you didn't have you to tell about all your wondeful conversations who had with him over the years and too the last one in late july 1977.

Me too, I would like to know who is the real Elvis in his private room at Graceland. Because he share his public life to the world, and he didn't have a room just to be himself and nobody care.

And the Colonel didn't want that side of him of be reveal to the world. The spiritual thing was out of it. Even Elvis was a very spiritual person, and he believe in it all his life.

Elvis Presley was just a great human being that he give with his music and with a great heart he gave his songs to the world with a big part of him too.

And it's would be great just to know him and to see the man behind the image. But it's just a dream for me.

Last edited by Liliane on Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:25 pm 
Sun Dial

:hello: Liliane and Wanda, this is a Real Treasure and A Very Rare Piece that You Liliane have Posted but its also About Time. That a " Elvis Historian " said want he said about Elvis. But has for you Liliane Only Dreaming of Knowing the Man Elvis was Behind the Image, like Wanda was Blessed Enough to have done. Is Something I Never Had the Chance to do Either, But I still knew in my Heart the Man Behind the Image that Elvis was even before I came to ELC or Knew Wanda and had Read Her Books about Knowing and Talking to Elvis, I know you might Not Under Stand how I could have if I Never had the Chance like Wanda to Met, and Talk to Elvis on the Phone . But After I had Really Thought about it, I think its want I Seen in Elvis' Face that Really Touched Something Very Deep in my Heart and Very Being. So I Hope that Liliane You Well Learn has you Read More here at ELC, that You Do Know The Man Elvis was Behind the Image. :love:

Without you I am nothing an could never be so bold. The times we've shared, the laughter and the tears. Priceless memories, treasures all. How could I ever fail? With you I don't fear that at all. Elvis Presley!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:10 pm 
Flame

To Barb,

Even if I read many books written by his friends, but I didn't find my answer who is the real Elvis who the man behind the image.

And I found the book written by Wanda, I think at the time the book was out of print, and she send me the photocopy of "We remember Elvis" and 32 pages of "Elvis Face to face" that I found very interesting at the time. After that she had made the little books "Straight talk" and with that I had all of them. And after reading them that change everything to me in a lot of ways of thinking about him at the time.

After that when I found the ELC forum and I read most of the post with conversation with Wanda, some that I already read year way back and some that and I found interesting fact that I didn't know about him, it's was a treasure in the DOCUMENT the 6 page letter.

So the Colonel made sure that we know everything about Elvis the entertainer because he want every concerts to be full of people to just see him on stage. But at the same time made him a man of mystery. After his death the public want to know who was Elvis in his everyday life at Graceland,on tour, in recording sessions.

And it's a treasure to know that we had a great forum like ELC to know more about the Elvis Presley.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:18 am 
Flame

What a great find, Liliane. Thanks for posting this. I'm happy to know that I'm not alone with my efforts to defend Elvis. :hug:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:20 pm 
Sun Dial

Well Liliane it seems like Some People like you who found Wanda's Books First to Read to Experience Who Elvis was has a Person Behind the Image, and Some like Me that Never even Knew of Wanda June Hill and Any of Her Books, until I came to ELC. But Once I did come here and Once I did Read Wanda's Books, and read all of the other Great Talks and things here in the Forum, it Made Me Want to Know Even More of the Elvis has the Person I Felt I had Already Knew in my Heart. So it seems Liliane in a Round About Way, we Both had to Come or should I say Be Lead like I was I Feel By Elvis to ELC. :love:

Without you I am nothing an could never be so bold. The times we've shared, the laughter and the tears. Priceless memories, treasures all. How could I ever fail? With you I don't fear that at all. Elvis Presley!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]