It is currently Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: The Phenomenon named Elvis
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:38 pm 
Flame

This is an interview by Julian Aberbach founder of the Hill and Range Publishing Company.

In 1955, I was in New York and received a phone call from Hank Snow. He was coming to N.Y. and had something interesting to discuss with me. So we had lunch, and he told me he found it impossible to go to the road alone. He had to go with a complete ensemble, playing the biggest audiences he’d ever entertained. On the road he saw a singer who performed without a cowboy uniform. The singer worked in a white shirt and black pants, with a guitar, and he was so popular that the girls chased him off the stage. Hank said his name was Elvis Presley. Very shortly after that luncheon, I flew to Las Vegas.
I saw Eddie Arnold and his manager, Colonel Tom Parker, in a setting in which they were sitting at separate tables. I immediately knew something was wrong. I found out that they had broken up. So I told Parker about Elvis Presley and that I would go to Louisiana the next week to check him out. I went to Shreveport the following week, where Elvis appeared on the “Louisiana Hayride” television program. I found him to be absolutely phenomenal.
All that time, Elvis had an exclusive contract with Sun Records that made it impossible to do any business with him. Sun had two music publishing companies, one called Knox Music and the other Hilo, which furnished songs for Elvis to record. He also had a manager, Bob Neal, who did all of his booking. Thought I couldn’t work with Elvis then, Bob Neal told me he was doing very well in three states; Tennessee, Florida and Louisiana. But he needed more important bookings and asked me to help. I told Colonel Parker about my conversation with Bob Neal and he started booking Elvis. He also got very friendly with the Presley family. One year later, we were able to make to make the following deal: I told Steve Sholes to get funding with RCA Records; with the great difficulty and nervousness about the outcome, he got permission to buy out Elvis
Sun Records contract from Sam Phillips for 40.000 $. So Elvis became an RCA Victor recording artist with the contract done by our attorney Ben Star. The second contract was between Elvis and Colonel Parker, and was to last duration that Elvis was an RCA Victor recordings artist (which was pretty much forever). The contract stipulated that Col. Parker would receive 25% of all income generated by Elvis Presley. The third contract established a music publishing company in which 50% of the shares belonged to Elvis, 25% to my brother (Jean), and the remaining 25% to me. At the signing, Elvis received 2500$ and promptly went and bought a Cadillac.
After that, Elvis was recorded by RCA and the phenomenon started. “Love Me Tender” was the first song recorded and it was an instant winner. Col. Parker secured a movie contract with Hal Wallis and Joe Hazen, who turned Elvis over to the Fox Picture Company. Elvis started in a film, also called “Love Me Tender”, it - too, was an enormous hit. From that point on Elvis Presley had hit after hit. A year later there was a standing order for 1 million records per album from the RCA distributors.
At that time I put my cousin Freddy Bienstock in charge of Elvis Presley Music. He did a brilliant job and went on to become one of the world’s most important independent music publishers. I also hired his brother, John Bienstock, who provided himself by creating a group of hit songs. Today he owns his own music publishing company and still works closely with his brother. My brother and I organized groups of song writers for Elvis’ motion pictures (he made 31 of them). Freddy Bienstock was very helpful in getting the best people to write for us, bringing in writers like Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller. The songwriters were handed the scripts, with places marked for songs. Then Freddy would present the songs to Elvis, who made the final selections for recording. This was a phenomenally successful enterprise; even today, the royalties are 10 times what they were when Elvis died.
In addition to the movies, Col. Parker took Elvis on a tour of 40 concerts, all of which were for sold-out crowds. He also secured two months of appearances in Las Vegas at the American Hotel, always in February and August. Invariably, I would go and talk to Elvis about things we wanted to do together in the future. We had a great, close, personal and professional relationship.

About Aberbach:

Aberbach was born in Vienna in 1909. In 1939, after founding a music-publishing company in Paris, he fled Europe for the U.S., later joining the U.S. Army and returning to Europe to fight in World War II. He and his brother, Jean, launched Hill and Range in 1943, with an emphasis on country music.
In 1956, Aberbach contracted with late Sun Records owner Sam Phillips to transfer the songs Presley had recorded for Sun to Hill and Range, subsequently called the Aberbach Group of Music Publishing Companies. The same year, Aberbach facilitated the transfer of Sun's contract with Presley to RCA Records for $40,000, along with a contract making the late Colonel Tom Parker Presley's manager. Aberbach also organized the Elvis Presley Music and Gladys Music publishing companies. Presley owned half of each, with Aberbach and his brother splitting the other half. Jean Aberbach died in 1992, Julian Aberbach died on 17.May 2004.

Post subject: Re: The Phenomenon named Elvis
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:33 pm 
Sun Dial

:hello: Thank You for this Article also Angel Eyes! :love:

Without you I am nothing an could never be so bold. The times we've shared, the laughter and the tears. Priceless memories, treasures all. How could I ever fail? With you I don't fear that at all. Elvis Presley!

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ]