It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: ED HOOKSTRATTEN!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:49 pm 
Sun Dial

Elvis' Attorney Ed Hookstratten Dies: Ed Hookstratten, powerful Attorney to Elvis, Johnny Carson and Vin Scully, has died at 83. He passed away Wednesday of complications from congestive heart failure at his home in Beverly Hills. Hookstratten was a powerful and iconic force in sports, entertainment and broadcast news while representing Carson, Elvis Presley, Dan Rowan and Dick Martin of "Laugh-In" fame. His news clients included Tom Brokaw, Bryant Gumbel, Jessica Savitch, and Tom Snyder.
Being Elvis' attorney Hookstratten along with PI John O'Grady worked together during Elvis famous 1971 paternity case as well as 1973's attempt to reduce Elvis' drug dependency. According to Guralnick Elvis even passed out in Hookstratten's offices one time. He also was involved in try to stop the book 'Elvis:What Happened?' being published.
Hookstratten had a reputation for getting his star clients innovative, lucrative and unprecedented deals.
Hookstratten is mentioned in movie producer Robert Evans' book "The Kid Stays In the Picture", Hookstratten was also the namesake of the "Lt. Bob Hookstratten" character in Rob Reiner's rock music mockumentary "This Is Spinal Tap."

Without you I am nothing an could never be so bold. The times we've shared, the laughter and the tears. Priceless memories, treasures all. How could I ever fail? With you I don't fear that at all. Elvis Presley!

Post subject: Re: ED HOOKSTRATTEN!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:42 pm 
Site Admin

Hi, All I can say is that Elvis liked Mr. Hookstraten because he "listened to him and gave him good advice". He spoke of him a few times, always with a kind of awe that he was "nice to me, he listens" said Elvis. There was another lawyer
in that company that Elvis liked also, though now I don't recall his name other than he would say "John" said this or that. I did not question him about his legal issues or problems...if he mentioned them I listened and that was about it.
The lawyer who helped get the rights to our first book back into our hands was another lawyer whom Elvis knew and liked. He might have worked with Mr. Hookstraten's firm but I do not know that as a fact. What I do know is Elvis did
tell me he liked him and trusted him and so when I needed help, that is who I
went to and he certainly did the job for us and was very, very reasonable in fees. I know Elvis thought a lot of Mr. Hookstraten, trusted him and learned from him how to avoid making mistakes...and Elvis listened. So now they can
talk about "things" again...and laugh about much of it!
Thanks for posting this article...again, the press tries to "light up" their bit with
suppositions and unquestionable remarks...especially since the other party is not longer able to "yell about it". Elvis was doomed to die young, all the drugs and etc in the world would not have stopped his early demise. He had a birth defect that would have eventually killed anyone male or female who had it during that time frame. Medical science has advanced now, it can be better treated and
even "somewhat fixed with surgery" but not in the years Elvis was here...he was "born too soon" as he remarked a few times, saying that his health issues
were like a "reminder to remember who I am, just a man, like every other one
livin' here, nothing that special..." He also said, "Man, it works!" He had a constant reminder that he was just a human being, like everyone else...yes he
took medications, like most people he took one too many trying to sleep or to
be able to do his job. Sometimes he had bad reactions, so they put him in the
hospital to adjust medications and change types...nothing they don't do today for many people who are sensitive to different drugs...but he was ELVIS...so
admired and loved by so many...and the press always tries to make him and other people like him..."small" in their stories. Why is that? It can't be just
jealously....or the attention that gets them more $$$. Naw, really? Are we
still that kind of people? ....... :( wjh

Post subject: Re: ED HOOKSTRATTEN!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:47 pm 
Sun Dial

:( Yes it looks like People are still this way, and I don't look for any changes soon. :( I'm Happy that at least for a Lawyer that Elvis could go to him if he needed to talk or Advice and his Lawyer would listen. Its a shame how very few people in Elvis' Life he could go to talk to and would Listened to Elvis. :love:

Without you I am nothing an could never be so bold. The times we've shared, the laughter and the tears. Priceless memories, treasures all. How could I ever fail? With you I don't fear that at all. Elvis Presley!

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]