It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:11 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

though I don't know both JD nd Mr Schilling,JD has a special place in my heart.. I believe he is a dear and mature soul..and if there's two words, I'd choose to trust JD's ..one other thing I find wrong is diggin' Elvis's feelings of that moment toward Mike Stone man,which was too personal..there can't be an easy and certain explanation such as black or white in times like this..and starting with West cousin's lousy book,Elvis was blamed almost as a potential killer who planned it..and if Schilling brought back that subject in his new book,without even being sure of it or having not a little idea what sort of feelings Elvis been through in seconds when he learned about the affair, he did the same mistake as Wests.. why this is so urgent to put this in a book about him..he had many more other heartbreaking moments and hurts that no one cared and investigated..

For a heavenly cause

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:02 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

I did a little searching and I do see where there is an out of print book on JD entitled "The Life and Times of JD Sumner" by Bob Terrell. I wonder if his version of the Elvis' reaction to Mike Stone is in there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:19 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

Quote:
there is an out of print book on JD entitled "The Life and Times of JD Sumner" by Bob Terrell.

This one could be a quite interesting book to read, indeed.

Elvis said: "LOVE is what it's all about." :*::*: Now I know it's true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:25 pm 
Site Admin

As I remember, J.D.'s version was in an interview with him years ago...but can't be certain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:40 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

Thank you very much, Sue-Lenora, but I don't think I can get it where I'm living now, or close enough. Maybe, if you have it, you could post the interview if you have scanner. If not, don't worry at all. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:29 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

Thank you very much, Sue-Lenora!

It's really a pleasure to read what Jerry Schilling has to say about Elvis. He sounds to me so honest and true. Behind his words, love for his friend is always there. I feel Jerry S. is a lightful loving soul. I'm glad he was close to Elvis.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:11 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

It would be nice to have it posted! (I love the way information travels through Internet. Don't you?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:22 pm 
Site Admin

Jerry always seemed to be one who actually did do his job and was interested in Elvis' wellfare, a true friend. I can't ever recall seeing him doing anything in public (or otherwise heard about him doing anything anywhere) that would have brought shame or dismay to Elvis or his image. Where as I cannot say that about most of the other guys-even some of his background singers were not always "behaving properly in public" and I and others were shocked to be witnessing somethings that went on especially in the coffee shop after the shows were done.
They sure as heck weren't always up there singing with Elvis, I can say that! And then seeing some things going on after concerts on some of the tours-like in San Francisco and LA and then Arizona- Elvis wouldn't have been very appreciative had he got feedback. Of course I have to say, they weren't doing anything that those women they picked up in different places were not allowing to occur and I guess they'd do anything for the mere chance of getting to meet Elvis or go on tour or just hang around hoping? It was eyeopening and I have to say, very sad in many ways. I felt badly for Elvis sake, though I know he knew all about what went on because he had been there, done that in the early years.
It's just that it was in public and people who saw things going on were totally disgusted and they pointed the finger at Elvis-not at the dummy guys! I heard some comments from a few regular people who got up and left because of what was going on in the back of the coffee shop at the Hilton-they were totally disgusted and they commented about Elvis' choice of companions and co-workers. It did reflect upon his character and he had every right to be upset when things began coming back to him, especially involving lawsuits for assult and battery of fans. The fact is, Vernon was told by the lawyers handling all those suits, it would be better for Elvis and the issues regarding the case, if those named in the lawsuits did not work for him any longer. If he kept them on, since these things were continuting to happen along the way, it would appear that Elvis condoned their actions, that he "approved" of what was happening. He did not of course. So actually when he said it was his father's business, they talked about things, and in the end his father made the final decision and in that case, it was a good one considering the amount of money involved should Elvis' lawyers lose the case. Elvis didn't have the kind of money his guys seemed to think he had-it was going out the door for expenses, tours, people, rooms, food, medical benefits, you name it-Elvis bought his last car on time! Unheard of for him...I was so surprised and it told me quite a bit-he was having to work to keep things going. Of course he spent money easily, had little to no idea of what things cost and had from the early days, always had money "pouring in" and it still did, but he had such a load of expense, people, things, getting a round on tour etc:...and so many taking advantage of his generosity too. It wasn't pouring in anymore-not unless he was out there working. He had a million dollars in the bank when he died-he owed about 2 times that much when all was said and done. It cost a fortune to keep things running-and neither he nor his dad were inclined to save much money-and never had learned how to do that. Elvis was the first to say, "it's only money. What good is havin' it if you can't spend it makin' people happy, gettin' things you want and havin' someone to share it with?" That was always his attitude-the money just came in and he didn't have to worry or do much to bring it about. Not until things changed, the world changed and he didn't change with it.
He was still rooted in the past-and the world was moving on way ahead of him or how he thought and felt. All he knew was he had to get out there on tour-the money was going faster than he could keep up with it and there were so many depending on him. He said he felt badly when he stopped making movies, so many of the "kids" as he called them, wouldn't have jobs like they did with his films-they weren't making those kinds of movies and he was concerned about "walking out on them" like that. I told him they'd get work, after all he had done the best he could and for a long time-not to worry. He thanked me. wjh

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2