It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 9:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Scotty Moore's Book
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:48 am 
Sun Dial

While in Memphis this past Thursday and Friday, I saw in one store a book called That's Allright, Elvis by Scotty Moore, telling of his experiences with Elvis. I just flipped through it and paused to read about the '68 Special. Two things I specifically remember -- One was that during the taping, you may remember, Elvis swapped guitars with Scotty, and while Scotty never let on, he apparently didn't like other people playing his guitars as he was very particular with them and Elvis was known back in the 50's at least to be kind of tough on guitars. And also he felt that Elvis did it because he had to have the flashier guitar. Hmm...

Anyway the other was regarding Priscilla. The first night Scotty and his wife Emily went to the studio where they were doing the show, someone suggested going out to get something to eat, which Elvis couldn't do. So he asked one of the mm guys to get the car so they could all go to his house for dinner. Elvis started getting upset over why it was taking so long to get the car, so someone finally got it. Turns out the delay was because one of the guys always called Priscilla at Mike Stone's place when they were leaving so she would be home when Elvis arrived. (I wondered if Scotty meant her dance instructor as I thought Stone was later.) Anyway, the gist of it was that the guys knew she was having an affair and helped her cover it up, but that night no one answered their calls, so they had to go anyway. Elvis asked where she was when they got to the house, but no one told him anything. She finally walted in around 2:00 or 3:00 AM and sat down next to him at the table. He didn't say anything to her until later when he asked where she'd been. She told him, you know I take dance lessons to which he retorted, "Til 2 or 3:00 in the morning?" Later when everyone was leaving, she walked up behind him and wrapped her arms around him, and he coldly peeled them off. Can't say I blame him.

Anyway, I never knew that Elvis knew what was going on even before he finished the special. Or maybe he was just starting to get suspicious. And I still can't believe those guys helped her! I can understand keeping your mouth shut and staying out of it, but actively helping your "friend's" wife cheat on him and get away with it? Gee! Some friends!

Post subject: Re: Scotty Moore's Book
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:57 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

Wanda Mc wrote:
And I still can't believe those guys helped her! I can understand keeping your mouth shut and staying out of it, but actively helping your "friend's" wife cheat on him and get away with it? Gee! Some friends!

This is news to me too. Unbelievable. I knew that the MM had at least kept their mouths shut, but had no idea they were activily helping Priscilla to cover up her affairs. Not a sign of true friendship.

Quote:
Anyway, I never knew that Elvis knew what was going on even before he finished the special. Or maybe he was just starting to get suspicious.
Good point. I wonder if Wanda JH can help clarify.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:20 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, some of them if not all, knew it and didn't say anything to him-until the tv show was nearly done-then one of them saw to it that he found out "on his own".
So he might have wondered and was miffed at her response for being out so late-etc:. He was as we know, very perceptive or very much the "boss" and if he asked, he'd better get the "right" answer kind of thing.
He would have been angry had she been out so late and then gave him no real answer etc:.... But yep, they knew and they covered for her quite a bit with Stone...
Scotty probably didn't know about the dance teacher-since Stone was the only one that got publicity out of it all.
To be fair and honest, we were just as "guilty" because we knew and did not tell him either. I didn't say anything about having known about things like that to him. He would have been angry and it was not something I wanted to handle. Plus, had we or anyone of us told him, we feared never to get to speak with him again. His temper was well known-and when he "shut a door" it stayed shut. I understand they would have been afraid to tell him such a thing-I mean, Priscilla? No way! Not Priscilla! Elvis would have not taken it well and when he did suspect they knew, he didn't think it had been something on going, but had just been found out... and he was allowed to find out for himself. The only way it would have worked out. I don't imagine any of them ever told him they'd known about it-and didn't tell him. No one has ever said that-that I have heard about...and I can believe it. One can't judge them on that one, because Elvis' temper wasn't anything to "play around with". wjh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:00 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

So he may have been apt to kill the messenger?

There does seem to me to be a difference though between keeping quiet and activly helping to participate in the cover up. But then again I was not there. They may have felt pressured by Priscilla. I wonder how she would have responded had they not gone along with her request for the warning calls.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:15 pm 
Site Admin

She had a lot of influence on Elvis-more than anyone else other than Col. Tom. Charlie said in an interview or his book (?) that she was a "formidable opponent"and one you wanted on your side. He should have known-he lived with Elvis and around her more than anybody else did. He also took her to find and for fittings of her wedding dress and assured her Elvis would find her beautiful wearing it. He was right about that! Elvis said she was "breathlessly beautiful, almost made me cry lookin' at her". That was something for him to say it.
They like to think that Ann-Margret was "under their control"---I have a feeling that was what she WANTED them to think! She was no dummy! wjh

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]