It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 2 of 4 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:46 pm 
Site Admin

Sweet Ka'rala for all of the joy and happiness your wonderful links and beautiful pictures bring to my heart I say a great BIG THANK YOU!!! :D :D :D :D Great questions one and all ladies and count me in as wanting to know what it was like for Larry to work on Elvis' beautiful hair too. :wink: :P :D Sweet Ingrid you asked the question that I was wondering about too--about how the "Col." pretty much banished Larry from Elvis' life in the 60's and what Elvis' TRUE reaction to that was and how it TRULY made him feel since it's been portrayed on film that it didn't affect him at all which I know is horse****!!! :x :roll: Also I was wondering if Larry could shed any light on what if any action Elvis took when he would hear some of the songs he recorded on the radio (primarily in the 60's I think) and they didn't sound they way he did when he recorded them. Meaning from what I've heard/read Parker would actually take musical advice from his wife or she would complain that SHE didn't like the way a certain song was recorded so Tom P. would have the song re-mixed behind Elvis' back and have THAT version released to radio!! :?: :evil: :roll: Joe thank you so much for giving us the chance to suggest these questions to you for your upcoming interview with Larry and I wish you all the best with it!! :D :D :D Can't wait to hear/read it!! :wink: :D :D Sweet Trish we love you too dear angel!! :wink: :D :hug:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:56 pm 
Oops, Joe, I forgot to suggest this important question:

Will you please ask Larry Geller to join ELC, and be our friend forever?

Thank you. :)

And ladies, have you ever heard of the documentary Altered By Elvis? Larry Geller is featured there and he talks a good deal about Elvis's hair: the texture, the care it required, the way Elvis shook his hair out like a wet dog the first time Larry washed it, how the roots were all coming in white by the end and needed to be touched up with borrowed mascara (Larry forgot his dyes) for the funeral. You can watch the trailer for the film at www.alteredby.com

Mari and Sue, I share your disgust...well, we're all disgusted I'm sure...about the way Elvis is portrayed in film. It just breaks my heart that filmmakers can't do a better job of being true to his extraordinary spirit. Although...maybe I shouldn't admit this...I DID like the fellow who played Elvis in the movie Elvis and Nixon. A long section of that movie's on on You Tube and Elvis was portrayed as very funny, clever, human, and lovable in the parts I saw. The actor wasn't half as handsome as Elvis but was definitely smart and had a great, bellowing laugh. Unlike the timid, skinny fellows with bad posture they pick to play Elvis too often. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:26 am 
Great link Trish, thank you very much!!! :D

Ingrid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:04 pm 
Site Admin

The Elvis and Nixon movie is a joke and a poor one at that. they played Elvis up as being totally a stupid fool, and the only thing that I saw that was Elvis in any way, was the clothes they put on him. Other than that, it was stupid and I hope, the intention was to make a comedy like a "Monty Python" movie twist to it, otherwise they were beyond intelligent who made the darn thing. And I only saw maybe 15 minutes of the whole thing -kept changing the channel when we'd come on it running. Jimmie was totaly disgusted and we can all imagine what Starla thought! She might have "shot out her tv screen"! Not likely it's a big screen, old but still working great-she wouldn't ruin that! But I bet she thought about it. wjh Oh, the guy playing Elvis was not an attractive "copy" at all-the glasses didn't help. He was exagerating every thing and that is what made me think they were going for "comedy" -if not, good grief even!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:23 pm 
:evil: :x IF they can't give Elvis the Dignaty he Desereves, I probably didn't spell that right. " SORRY"! then stop making the STUPIED THINGS! At least tell the Truth! :x FairyTale!

Last edited by FairyTale on Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:41 am 
Whoops! :oops:

I had only seen part of the Elvis and Nixon movie, too. Maybe I didn't see what you saw, Wanda. I was so disgusted by "Elvis the Miniseries" and the way they portrayed Elvis in Walk the Line. I was especially upset about Walk the Line because people thought so highly of the movie. The part I liked of Elvis and Nixon was of him flirting with the airport attendants. I liked the way the actor was bold, quick with a joke, and always laughing. I thought it was just a nice change from the completely humorless actors in the other two movies that I had seen right before that.

Sorry! I guess I should've watched the whole movie before venturing out with an opinion. I know I was extremely annoyed when I skimmed through the book Elvis and Nixon, the author was obviously totally in the dark about Elvis's strength of character. Maybe because the book was SO bad, I was also somewhat happy the movie seemed, at first glance, better than the stupid book.

Altered by Elvis was not as interesting as I had hoped- I felt they could have done a much better job with a good idea. Still I liked Larry Geller's contribution, and Dixie Locke's, and some other parts. They should have put more Elvis clips and pictures into it. I got to missing Elvis after hearing everyone talk about him and wanted the comfort of having him there on the screen more. I did like the trailer and website however so I sent that along.

Thank you Sue for clarifying that Larry is a part of ELC :D That's wonderful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:28 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

Golden Sky wrote:
I was so disgusted by "Elvis the Miniseries" and the way they portrayed Elvis in Walk the Line. I was especially upset about Walk the Line because people thought so highly of the movie.

Hi Trish. I have not yet seen Walk The Line but had been planning to at some point. Now I don't know if I'm going to, per your comment. Can you please tell me what disturbed you about the portrayal of Elvis in that movie? The only thing I heard was that Elvis was shown to have gotten Johnny Cash started on pills, yet have heard from other sources that it was actually the other way 'round. Was there anything else negative? Thx :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:26 pm 
Hi Laurie,

Yes, Walk the Line blames Elvis for Johnny Cash's drug problem, and that's a complete lie. The time period they're showing for this alleged drug pushing was about 1955-57. To the best of my knowledge, Elvis just took regular sleeping pills and drank coffee at that point; he only got into the more serious pills in the Army, when a superior officer encouraged him and his platoon (? I don't know the word) to take uppers for energy. Even then it was harmless and innocent, not like Elvis was trying to be decadent. But Walk the Line tries to convince its audience that Elvis was a lanky, crass, immoral stoner. He couldn't even sing or perform well.

In Walk the Line, Johnny Cash toured with Elvis. I only know of them meeting at Sun Records, and don't recall that they ever played at the same concert. Do you know if it's true that they toured together?

Anyway, I think Walk the Line was a very ambitious film that used some base, self-serving tactics to glorify its subject. I think all biographical films take liberties with the truth to create a better story, so I don't really hold it against them that they lied and said Cash quit drugs BEFORE the crowning moment when he proposed to June Carter. (In reality, he was still on drugs when he proposed and for a while after they married.) But I think it's immoral when they make real people look worse than they were as part of the story. It's a form of slander, and especially damaging in the context of a moving, popular film. And of course that's what they did to Elvis here.

They made a strong case for the fact that Cash was more attractive, talented, charismatic, and worthy of fame than Elvis. I guess they figured a convenient way to glorify Cash would be to have him stand on the shoulders of the Giant. So they had Elvis and Cash touring together, and portrayed Elvis as a sort of empty-headed nerd, while Cash was the really attractive one. They did this so effectively that I'm certain many people who saw the film came away thinking Cash is really underrated in our culture and Elvis is terribly overrated. I think Cash was good enough, and Joaquin Phoenix who played him was good enough, that they REALLY didn't need drag Elvis into it. To me, it's a literal sin that the filmmakers not only got away with, but were lavishly rewarded for, crushing Elvis.

If you see the movie you might think I've exaggerated the wretchedness of it a little bit now. Some non-Elvis fans that I've talked to seem to think Elvis wasn't that bad in the movie. (Ugh!!!) I hope you can pardon me for being overly defensive then. I just REALLY want people to know that he was NOTHING like that character in Walk the Line. If all you knew about Elvis was what you saw in that movie, you would never guess in a million years that Elvis was actually caring, intense, vigilant, courteous, funny, and brilliant. You would never guess that he was, as his karate instructor Kang Rhee has said, "mentally and spiritually the most powerful person I ever taught."

This holds true for just about all the movies I've seen of Elvis, and it's a tragedy. I was glad "Elvis and Nixon" was true to his humor, but that's such a miniscule victory, such a tiny crumb of truth, it's sad I was happy to find even that. Like I said, I was just relieved to find a man with some kind of personality (and masculinity) playing the role of Elvis. I have yet to see Kurt Russell starring as Elvis, and I hold out a bit of hope for that, because I think Russell is a smart man with some integrity. But I guess no actor can reverse the damage of a lying, sensationalized screenplay, and for all I know, that's all that's out there. :(

Sorry for talking too long here!

Love,
Trish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:20 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

Thanks Trish for your very thorough review! I'm not inspired to see it anymore. It'd probably make me mad while watching it, given the way they potrayed Elvis. It's a shame. They did not need to lift Cash up by putting Elvis down.

Oh, if memory serves me right, I do think Elvis & Cash toured together in 1955. I forget what it was called. Some kind of jamboree show where there were several singers & musicians. After a time, Elvis had to be on last though because he'd get the most excited audience, so no one wanted to play after him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:51 pm 
Hi Trish and Laurie, I to seen "Walk The Line" and I totally agree with what you all said about this movie, it made me very Angry when I seen how Elvis was played. I do believe that Cash was and clear up to the time of his death had a real problem with prescription drugs, and if I remember right Wanda said that Elvis might have been with the show that Cash was with but never traveled with Cash on the Tour. I have seen and read where Elvis and Cash would talk, but The Colonial had Elvis and his band travel seperate from the rest of the group, FairyTale!

Page 2 of 4 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next