It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: ELVIS RELIGION - writes about ELC website!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:30 pm 
Site Admin

I was just alerted by Andrew Tonkin (who frequents ELC) that the book "Elvis Religion" writes about the ELC website and Elvis' belief that his soul came from Rigel!

If you go to the book page (below and then put your cursor over the book thumbnail a box will come up "search inside this book." write in "blue star love" (with quotes around it just as you see it here and hit "go.") It is not going to show it ALL to you, just the first few sentences, but sounds postive. I would like to order the book, but want to find it cheaper, if I can.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1845112563/ref=sr_11_1/002-2713635-5872830?ie=UTF8

Notice the review, though calls us here at ELC an "internet church"!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:30 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

I just went to that website. The least I can say, due the little information accessible, is that the good news are that more people will know about ELC. Whatever interpretation the author does about us, these that care will be able to reach for us. They must be already open to spiritual Elvis (they are buying that book) and that is a very good starting point.

One more book to my list! :roll:

Elvis said: "LOVE is what it's all about." :*::*: Now I know it's true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 3:03 am 
Site Admin

Amanda Viola wrote:
I just went to that website. The least I can say, due the little information accessible, is that the good news are that more people will know about ELC. Whatever interpretation the author does about us, these that care will be able to reach for us. They must be already open to spiritual Elvis (they are buying that book) and that is a very good starting point.

One more book to my list! :roll:

I agree Amanda. :) If more people discover ELC through reading this book, so much the better. :D "The more the merrier" as the old saying goes. :wink: :D I'll be adding this book to my list too. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 5:17 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

:P (Once I read -can't remember where right now- that there were about 1600-1700 books on Elvis. We should have a sponsor to be able to shorten our list now and then, because it seems it only grows longer and longer. Not to speak of the DVDs and so on... :roll: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:35 pm 
Hi everyone,

I'm sorry, this is an old topic, but I saw this book in the bookstore recently and was eager to know whether it was discussed here or not. (Happily, it has been!) I was actually startled that the author mentioned this website, but gratifed that he deemed the contributors sincere and well-meaning. This website seemed to win the author's respect more than any other manifestation of Elvis...what should I call it?... zealotry?

I admit that I laughed out loud when I read about the First Presleyterian Church of Australia whose "faithful" are expected to have 33 of Elvis' favorite food items handy at their house at all times in case Elvis arrives (banana pudding is one), and to pray to Elvis facing Las Vegas five times a day, and make a pilgrimage to Graceland once in their lives. I doubt this is serious....but you never know.

Also I found a PhD thesis somewhere on the net propsing that Elvis is becoming a "semi-deity" in popular consciousness. I'm sorry I didn't get the link but it's out there.

I wonder if Elvis would find "Elvis Religion," the book and the phenomenon, funny or disturbing. On the one hand, it's idolatry, on the other hand, I think I'd feel safer if people were spared the darkness of atheism by believing in Elvis, who is a stepping stone to higher things, than believing in nothing. I guess it depends on what this turns into in the long run? Well there's some food for thought if anyone's interested. :D

Love,
Trish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:10 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
I wonder if Elvis would find "Elvis Religion," the book and the phenomenon, funny or disturbing. On the one hand, it's idolatry, on the other hand, I think I'd feel safer if people were spared the darkness of atheism by believing in Elvis, who is a stepping stone to higher things, than believing in nothing. I guess it depends on what this turns into in the long run? Well there's some food for thought if anyone's interested.

Trish, of course I can't speak for Elvis, but he MAY just shake his head with a woeful smile and say something like "Oh M'Boy!" :lol:

I think that any focus on SPIRIT, if that focus contains CORE TRUTHS is good. It is like you say, "a stepping stone to higher things." While I would not encourage people to see Elvis as a "diety," this sort of thing has perpetuated itself through the eons - many orginal "humans" have had "gods / goddesses" spun off them. Eventually these "dieties" are seen simply as natural forces within us ALL. Elvis' being represents certain of those "forces" - most prominently (to me) LOVE and HUMOR. So maybe you could say that the divine POWERS of LOVE and HUMOR were / are exemplified through him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:09 am 
Site Admin

Wonderfully stated dear Maia and it's funny but I thought the very same thing upon reading Trish's very enlightening thoughts---Elvis shyly looking down, smiling and that precious and humble "m'boy m' boy" coming from his sweet lips. :D :lol: Maia thank you so much for this beautiful picture of Elvis you posted for us. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:31 pm 
I'm laughing because I, too, could just see Elvis saying just that, "Oh M' BOY." :lol: So funny!

Thank you, Maia for that clarification! I see what you mean. If you are awake to SPIRIT and see Elvis as an embodiment of divine attributes, you probably won't be calling him a "diety." I'm tempted to think it's just a matter of words...but "deity" sort of implies a fixed religion to go with it (I think) and I think...maybe...we're all past the point of contriving new religions on this planet. We've got the old ones and everything new seems to fall into the category of spiritualism. So if Elvis WILL be a "god" in the future it probably won't be in the old sense but in a new context altogether. Hope that doesn't sound too high-falutin,' I'm making myself cross-eyed thinking so hard. :D

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me :)

Love,
Trish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:33 pm 
OH AND I LOVE THAT PICTURE!

(Sorry, forgot to mention it!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:21 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

Quote:
I'm making myself cross-eyed thinking so hard.

Image CROSS-EYED? Image Not YOU, impossible! I bet you have big wonderful eyes, experts in looking in and looking out, in a perpetual tranvasing... :P :P

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next