It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:38 pm 
Site Admin

Dearest Sue from the bottom of my heart I thank you so much for posting and sharing a link for such a beneficial and worthwhile charity. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:17 pm 
Thanks RainBowLight! FairyTale!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:22 pm 
Site Admin

Sweet Sue thank you so much for posting the link to such an inspiring story for us!! :D :D I'm definitely going to keep an eye out to see if this wonderful film is going to be shown in my area!! :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:12 am 
Thanks, Sue,

I hope this isn't the wrong question to ask, but I couldn't tell from the Terry Fox website where the money is going?

In America we have the American Cancer Society. In theory, I have a warm spot in my heart for this group because I personally met and worked with a former President of the Society. He is a good man. However, I have read that an enormous amount of their donations go to administrative costs :( (the figure I read was an astounding 89%) and the rest (a mere 11% of their intake) goes to select pharmaceutical companies.

My dream is that cancer research money will go to the treatments that show the most promise and not to the huge drug companies who hold the most political sway. That natural cures will be given their chance to shine.

My mother, father and brother all had cancer, and my mom died of it when I was 14. I always wanted to do something to help the cause. However, I can't get the same thrill that some of my friends get when they join a "Relay for Life" or "Walk for the Cure," because my eyes have been opened to the corruption of the cancer societies they benefit. I won't join those group efforts, beautiful as they are in spirit and intention.

The UK is probably more advanced than the US in cancer issues, though. I know you folks are wiser about organic foods and genetic engineering and other cancer-related issues. I certainly hope Mr. Fox's efforts make a difference.

Cheers!

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:04 pm 
Sue, please forgive me if I seemed cynical there. It's really the state of affairs in the US that frustrates me. I'm sorry if I was going off on a tangent about the whole politics of cancer and so on.

Hoping to learn more about Terry Fox I downloaded some of the information from the site you linked us to. I was so happy to read that the mission of the Terry Fox Foundation is not ONLY to provide funds to the National Cancer Institute of Canada (NCIC) but to keep patients inspired with hope and keep Fox's legacy alive, of running marathons with only one whole leg. So there's a spiritual element to it. The NCIC also lists some of the researchers they give money to, and I was so happy to learn how many of the researches are focusing on diet and lifestyle factors, and on educating the public about prevention.

Let's hope that trend keeps gaining momentum. Here in the US, information about preventing cancer isn't nearly as widespread as it should be. Possibly that's because food industry and the media work so closely together, the media doesn't want to lose advertising money by blowing the whistle on harmful products and foods (like trans fats, GMOs, additives, preservatives and bovine growth hormone.) TV stations might go out of business if the giant food corporations withdrew their funding, so we have a tragic state of information suppression. I have friends who don't read many books or health magazines, and it's very hard for me to convince them that the "healthy" food they see advertised on TV might actually be full of carcinogens.

OK, enough of my little rant. (Can you tell I read about this stuff all the time?) Sorry for being a "heavy" :D I try not to be, but goof it up sometimes!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:00 pm 
Thank you, Sue! I really appreciate you for always being so gracious and understanding. :D

Love,
Trish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:58 pm 
Site Admin

Hi, one of the biggest risks and offenders in foods today, is high Fruitose Corn Syrup. It is in everything...even toothpaste! And kids are the most likely to be harmed as it creates a craving for it's self and it makes them obese and it also harms the brain later on as it is KNOWN to cause the stuff that causes brain gook in later years- younger persons are found to have this forming already in their brains-people doing autopsys are reporting this but the FDA has done nothing about it. It is practically impossible to find crackers, cookies, candy, fruit drinks, (even cranberry juice!), cake mixes, bought ready made things like bread, rolls and etc: and just about everything one can put in one's mouth! Even jelly and perserves and syrup and such other things! It's horrible! And why is it used? Because it's much cheaper and easier to come by than sugar!
Sugar- white sugar- is so highly processed to be "white" it is a chemical it's self! And has no benefit to the human body-and because people began to complain about the sugar in things, they switched to the HFCS
racket. Kids are fatter today than they ever were do to the fast food, easy fixin' stuff made and the stuff in them. I can't believe the US is so stupid, but then we are at war in Iraq over oil when we have oil right here under ground where THEY USED TO GET IT but shut it down to get the CHEAPER oil overseas...now we are in a spot-we didn't upgrade our oil fields and wells and refineries so here we are...fighting over oil in other countries! Disgusting. Stupid and BLIND as well as mostly GREEDY!
Oh well, I live here-we contributed to it all as well. I guess we deserve what we get for being so stupid and gullible.
Anyway, please be careful what you buy- even genetically altered plants are not perfect- their cell sructure is altered and the human body doesn't know how to handle that altered cells structures...lots of people who are inclined to having degestive upsets easily will and ARE having more and more of that problem---and those who are up to date and trying to help human kind, scientiests and researchers who do the health food stuff, are finding these things to be true and warning people to be careful....not everything is as it's touted to be...if making more money is the aim and it is. They redo plants that have done fine for millions of years on their own, so they can "not spoil so quickly", "look pretty longer even if they don't taste so good" and "grow quickly, be insect freer and easy to pick and ship. And then too, they are running things through radiation and they do not know what it will mean years down the road! Life is a toss of the dice and I guess always has been in one way or another-but we humans are making the odds higher all the time...in the name of M o n e y! Spelled "PROFIT". Starla sees this every day, and she of course being in that business, doesn't look at it other than as profit and margin too, but she does notice which things seem better and which are not so good- some things look beautiful and have no taste or are awful when eaten or used. Beauty is skin deep when it comes to fruits and veggies!
But we do not have to drink and eat High Fruitose Corn Syrup, for pete sake! wjh It's even in the most popular brands of yogurt! I spend a lot of time reading labels and finally found one that has none in it- and it's made by a good brand too. Breyers....who also make the all natural ice cream that is almost good for you! In small amounts of course. I eat a lot of yogurt now that I found one...The strawberry/banana is great with good fruits that aren't "ugly" from being treated etc;. Starla found it.
I am going to post about my yogurt experience with Elvis- I don't think I have before...if so, then don't read it. wjh
Golden Sky, you are beautiful...and so's the kids...even back view!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:18 pm 
Site Admin

Sweet Wanda thank you so much for sharing all of this very informative with us about the dangers of High Fructose Corn Syrup. :) I knew that it was not the best thing in the world for you, but I had no idea that it was THIS bad!!! :shock: :shock: Everything you said was really interesting to read and find out about, and I know that I'll definitely be reading labels even more carefully than I already have to do now. I have to because due to Ashley's autism and severe intestinal problems that have gone along with it, she can't have anything with wheat or dairy in it at all. Poor little girl and to think that 1 of her favorite foods is grilled cheese sandwhiches too. :roll: :( We work it out ok though and buy her soy cheese and use wheat free bread, and bless her heart she eats it and seems to enjoy it even though it actually tastes pretty yucky. :( :roll: Thanks again Wanda for posting all of this for us and I can't wait to read about your yogurt experience with Elvis!! :wink: :D :D I'm already smiling in anticipation of it!! :D :D :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:00 pm 
Me either- I had no idea HFCS was THAT bad. Thanks Wanda! I knew about the link to obesity-and I knew that there's a very high concentration of GMOs from the GMO corn its derived from- but I had no idea it touched the brain. YIKES!

While we're on the subject of food warnings, MSG is another bad one, it causes irreversible brain lesions. And there are other grisly additives in the neurotoxic/ brain-damaging category, including many of the food colorings and aspartame. Yeah, so...I'll just take the plain sugar, thanks! :lol:

Wanda, I agree with you 100% about the stupidity of our country. Not to sound ungrateful....but what messes we're in!

Mari, bless your Ashley's heart for enjoying her version of the grilled cheese. I should probably be giving my children the same....Alex gets those allergic shiners under his eyes, and I'm thinking it's either a wheat or dairy sensitivity. We eat a lot of gluten-free snacks (it alleviates my conscience a bit, since I haven't gone completely wheat-free yet.) Alex and I both have Type A blood and I believe that's part of it.

I'm a "health nut" and enjoy some of the more rustic natural foods...plain homemade yogurt with flax oil and raw sunflower seeds, for instance, which I eat about every day. We buy mostly organic food at the grocery store. But I have little willpower to be a health nut when temptation calls! So there's one problem- we love eating out! That's our "achilles' heel" because some of the stuff from restaurants really isn't fit for human (or animal) consumption. Gosh, it's nice to dream of the day when perhaps consideration for health will inspire the restaurants to provide wholesome, clean food. Things are looking up because trans fats are being phased out, but...of course...we have a long way to go.

Anyway, organic food tastes better :wink: Here's wishing you all some healthy, yummy meals today....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:18 pm 
Site Admin

In light of all of the health issues I've been having, we're trying to eat alot healthier too. :) It's not always easy as you said dear Trish and it seems that we both have that same temptingly delectible "achilles' heel" of eating out. :wink: THAT'S when it's really hard to try and eat properly and I confess, when I am usually the weakest. :roll: :oops: Also, since Joe(my husband) has been out of town this week on a business trip, that hasn't helped either since I'm taking care of Ashley alone and that means I basically just eat a little something when I can since it gets pretty hectic here. :roll: :P Oh well.....guess all we can do is the best we can and try and keep an eye on what we all eat. :wink: Why does it seem though that nowadays almost everything we eat is bad for us in one way or another??? :? :roll: In any case, I, too, wish all of you happy, healthy eating today!! :wink: :P :D

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next