It is currently Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Scholarships to be given in the name of Elvis Presley
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:31 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

Quote:
Priscilla Presley was the special guest of University of Memphis athletic director R. C. Johnson and his wife, Melba, recently at a reception at the FedExForum's Ambassador Room. Priscilla said she was in Memphis to "carry on Elvis' tradition of charity." She announced two scholarships being established at U of M in the name of the Elvis Presley Charitable Foundation. One is for an intern to work in the athletic department and the other is designated for the pompon squad. Before attending the basketball game between the Tigers and Houston, Priscilla spoke to a crowd that included Memphis Mayor Willie Herenton, U of M president Dr. Shirley Raines and Jack Soden, president and CEO of Elvis Presley Enterprises. Source: Commercial Appeal / Updated: Mar 6, 2007

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:04 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

Thank you, Laurie.

This is a laudable iniciative.

I don't know why, I have felt an inner sadness and compassion seeing Priscilla in the middle of the play field waving. Guess it is because she probably knows she'll never have the heartfelt and loving applause Elvis could have got, if it was him appearing in front of so many youngs. Her good intention and merit is still shadowed by the impresive impact Elvis always have had and the Love he inspired. I believe that her body language tells much about how she felt in that moment. :(

We have to remember that today it is possible to do this sponsoring, because she had the strenght and intelligency to bring up Elvis enterprises. And this is quite a feat!

Elvis said: "LOVE is what it's all about." :*::*: Now I know it's true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:09 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
We have to remember that today it is possible to do this sponsoring, because she had the strenght and intelligency to bring up Elvis enterprises. And this is quite a feat!

YES, I TOTALLY AGREE! THE ESTATE LAWYERS ORGINALLY ADVISED HER TO SELL GRACELAND. ELVIS WOULD BE PROUD OF HER IN THIS REGARD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:48 pm 
Site Admin

He most certainly would be proud that she didn't listen to the Estate Lawyers! Elvis wanted to keep Graceland "for as long as I possibly can" and she helped to do that for him. No matter what she may do or has done, I have to say that I respect her choice in hanging on to his home and his things for their daughter. wjh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:02 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

Lisa became her 2nd saviour I guess,and hope she(priscilla) would learn to preciate this one day.. all those right looking decisions(I only agree with not selling the house,along with agreeing she has a bussiness mind !!for sure,still don't know who was the real person to see it's benefits in long term),turned to the opposite lately specially right after merging with that greedy company,and leasing the house was a big mistake which got out of controll..yet it gives her the opportunity of being in the spotlight..after all this is all that matters... :roll:

Craft Manor Apartments Inc., an Elvis Presley Enterprises (EPE)-affiliated company, has bought an apartment complex on Craft Road for $6.5 million from Southern Hills Court LLC.

The 182-unit apartment complex is at 1094 Craft Road, west of Elvis Presley Boulevard. Built in 1961, the apartment complex formerly was called Southern Hills Apartments. The name has been changed to Craft Manor Apartments.

Phone messages left at EPE were not returned by press time. But EPE has been buying properties around Graceland with the intention of making millions of dollars worth of improvements to the area.

"We've got an ownership group with very deep pockets and significant intention to invest in the future of the Elvis legacy," EPE president and CEO Jack Soden was quoted as saying in a Jan. 14 Commercial Appeal story. "If we make Graceland as big a draw as we think it can be, we are going to suffer if we don't control the doughnut of land around us."

In December, EPE bought China Buffet, a restaurant on Elvis Presley Boulevard for $1 million. At that time, Todd Morgan, a spokesman for EPE, told The Daily News it was the beginning of the organization's efforts to invest in properties near other EPE-owned properties.

don't think Elvis would be proud of this picture of his hometown..

For a heavenly cause

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:00 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

I have never been to Memphis, but as I understand it the area and part of town Graceland is in has become rather run down. I don't know what EPE plans to do with this newly acquired property, but I would rather have them build that up than turn Graceland itself into a circus.

My hope would be, however, that this new property not be turned into some kind of neon Las Vegas looking area. I can see where putting up a motel would make sense, though not too large for the sake of noise. Perhaps even have a movie theater devoted exclusively to Elvis movies & concert films, where one could see him on a large screen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:20 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

how many people's life ruined btw in this area..it seems they sold their places..hope they do this willingly..details(on every subjects,not just this) will kill me one day I know, as they don't give me a peacefull full hour to spend..it's my fault though..yet can't help thinkin all those,happy pictures usually have a flipside,not that happy..somebodies gain is othere's lose..and power that much of a power very seldom used for common good.. :roll: ok..I've been the cold water in the hot soup as always.. Image

For a heavenly cause

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:29 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

Good point, Zey, I hadn't tought about that. There is an apartment complex on the property, which means there are renters. Whose to say what will happen with them. For the time being, they are still there I presume. One hopes the rent will not shoot up with the new owners. My guess is that at some point in the future the renters will be forced to move to make way for new building projects.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:44 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

maybe it's my pessimistic behaviour but, those people who live and work around was the first thing came to my mind,when the buying began.. these happenings are against Elvis spirit..looks like some kinda mob job..this is against everything he believed and lived to...I don't like his, to be "the name on the label" of those greedy works.. :cry:

For a heavenly cause

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:17 pm 
I have been hearing alot that the area around GraceLand is to become a Theme Park, and that really Scares me. Barbara Lea!

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next