It is currently Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Bowling and Christmas
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:54 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

The place where Walter and I bowl each Monday is going to do a food/toy drive this year. I will be decorating a very large box this weekend and the bowlers will fill the box and then a charity will be contacted after one is agreed upon.
There are so many ways to keep the spirit of the generous heart of Elvis alive while helping others.
always with love,
73smile

Herodotes Greek historian 484-432 BC

Post subject: Re: Bowling and Christmas
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:42 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

Great idea! How lots of fun! :) :P :bouncy: :bouncy:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:05 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

:hello: It sure does sound Like Fun! :hug:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:29 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

It is going really well. Bowlers have filled the food box once already, the toy box is almost full and we are adding a mitten tree next week. If you have time go to www.thetimesherald.com as we managed to get it on the front page. Archive November 16th or 17th. The paper sent a photographer out and the manager of the bowling alley, Karen, is photographed. I chose to remain a silent helper because like, Elvis, it is not important to me to have anyone I know to see my name in the paper.
A 6 year old boy brought a toy in after his dad read the story and the donated items will all stay in Port Huron which has an unemployment rate nearly at 20% so I am happy that people in the town where I grew up will be helped. :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:23 pm 
Site Admin

That is wonderful Marjorie! People can make such a difference when they join up and do things. We give to the Indian cause out here because we are not far from the reservations and too, Jimmie is Indian... It is weird that the government thinks they "do so much" for them, when there are hundreds of families who don't even have decent heating stoves and have to cook on what they have as well. It doesn't make sense to me- but then most government things don't make much sense these days-or in the past days either. I hope that your donations and gifts will make bright days for many, many people! More power to your cause and blessings on all who take part. Like our boy said, "Pass it around" and he was referring to happiness and love. He used to drive around in the poor sections of Memphis and hand out money to anyone he came across. And then give thousands of dollars to regular charities as well. He liked to see the smiles and he'd go inside their little houses and sit a few minutes with some of them. Much to the distress of his bodyguards whom he'd leave in the car- waiting. A lot of the times he went alone- sneaked out to do it rather than deal with the put downs on the idea.wjh

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:59 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

While the turkey was baking Elizabeth, Madelynn, Matthew's mom and I went to a couple of stores rather than watch football!! I found some good toys and mitten and hat sets to help some of the children in Port Huron.
Elvis' generous heart was also the consternation of Vernon but if Elvis wanted to give a hand up, he did it, no matter what.
It is the spirit of his love for any individual in need that Walter and I agreed to work with Karen at the bowling alley this year.
We will collect items until one week before Christmas so the agency selecting the families will have time to separate the toys/food/nonbasics like shampoo and soap and then the mitten tree.
It is a good feeling to be able to help others and that is thanks enough for us.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:22 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

Wonderful to read about and all above brings to light the true spirit of Thanksgiving! :D :D :) :P :hug: Thanks for sharing with us all too, Marjorie! :D :D :) :P

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:13 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

Thank you and while out shopping today I will also be buying toys for those who might not get one this year. For me that is the spirit of Elvis.....help another by giving a hand up and no need to have anyone know who the giver is.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:15 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

:hello: May God Richly Bless you 73 mile for what your doing for the Needy, and I know when Elvis gave to the Poor he was Looking back on when he and his Parents were in the Very Same Shape. I know and I'm so Sorry that Elvis had to always hear it from his Dad and others when he Did something for someone, but I have to wonder if Gladys were Alive if it would have been Different for Elvis when he did things that Others didn't Like him to do? :love:

Post subject: Re: Bowling and Christmas UPDATE
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:24 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

The One above is to be thanked for the generosity of the bowlers as we have filled the food box 3 times, the toy box almost 2 times and the box for things like shampoo/soap et al.

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next