It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Please pray for these Christians in Gojra!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:41 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

Please, ladies, could you say prayers for these poor Christians in Gojra who are being persecuted for their beliefs? Thanks!! :hug: :love:
Sue

Quote:
News
<< Back

Gojra Christians want justice, not aid

Christians in Gojra have refused to accept US aid and have instead demanded that the perpetrators of recent attacks against them be brought to justice. Staff members from the US Consulate in Lahore were shocked when on October 5 the
Christians threw the relief packs down in anger and exasperation at the bail release of the main suspect in the August attacks, Qadir Awan.

Still no formal charge has been laid down against Awan, despite the fact that he is believed to be the mastermind behind the attacks that left eight Christians dead and dozens of properties destroyed.

Christians were reportedly coerced by police into making peace with the Muslims responsible for the attacks in a meeting on October 4. The suspects present included Awan, who was supposed to be behind bars in police custody at the time.

The Christians say they were also pressured into accepting Awan’s bail, leading to his release the following day. They allege that police took some Christians to the police station and tortured them in order to pressure the Christians into accepting such a compromise.

The Christians told the US Consulate staff that they did not need aid but justice, and that they would be grateful for their help in achieving this. They also spoke of their strong desire to see Awan arrested.

Police reportedly started beating the Christians for refusing to take the packages and demanding Awan’s arrest, and arrested some of them on the spot. Two women were reportedly seriously injured when the police beat them with the butts of their guns. Razia Bibi reportedly sustained a serious head injury, while Shamim Bibi’s ribcage was injured.

When they were taken to a local hospital, Christians say the police refused to allow the doctors to examine them, forcing them to take the women to another hospital in Toba Take Sing for treatment. Both women have since been discharged from the hospital and say they forgive the police for their violent actions.

The head of CLAAS UK, Nasir Saeed, said the situation of Christians in Gojra was very distressing.

“The frustration and anger of the Christians in Gojra is understandable as it has become an almost impossible task to get justice,” he said.

Mr Saeed said that pursuing justice through the law courts was not an option for many of them because they were so poor.

“They are resourceless and poor so those Christians who are resourceful must help others to get justice,” he said.

The Christians also suspected that members of a mediatory peace committee had colluded with the police and the perpetrators. Although another committee was formed, it was also suspected of supporting the perpetrators.

“The perpetrators are getting away scott free while innocent Christians are still being harassed and arrested,” said Mr Saeed.

“The ones who should be behind bars are freely roaming the streets while innocent Christians are still in police custody. We are doing everything we can to see that the real criminals are sent to prison, not the innocent Christians.”

Joseph Francis, head of CLAAS Pakistan, said: “Police are intent on declaring the Muslim suspects free of responsibility for their part in the Gojra killings. Yet Christians have been held in prison for firing back at their attackers in self-defence. Muslims received aid within a month from the government, while Christians received none. It is like justice in reverse.”

He added: “It is absolutely inconceivable that police could set free the man believed to be the main instigator of the attacks, which were nothing short of horrendous. He should be arrested immediately and put back behind bars where he belongs.”

Post subject: Re: Please pray for these Christians in Gojra!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:58 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

Boy that sure sounds like we are in the Last Days For Sure! These People will be in my Prayers!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:10 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

It sure does Rose-Lyn I will keep all these people in my prayers!!

Talia

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:16 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

Thank you, ladies!! :) :P :D

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]