It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 8 [ 75 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: So much Fun in Acapulco!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:18 pm 
Hi Wanda,

I´m confused about this bit of information that I found in your books, and about what you told me personally:

WR, E 2006, p. 11:

"Elvis was living in Bel Air up above the golf course the next time I saw him. He had invited me to "drop by" and so that day I was in Los Angeles and I thought, "Why not go by and see Elvis?" I knew he was at home, though he had been working on a film called Fun in Acapulco and had been to Mexico for a few days. When I got there, rumors were buzzing that Ann-Margret had been there earlier."

Wanda, here´s why I´m confused:

1. Fun in Acapulco wrapped on March 13, 1963.
2. You claim you met Elvis in person for the FIRST time on the set on Kissin Cousins, which was shot in October 1963.
3. That´s were Elvis wrote down your phone number in his left palm, therefore he couldn´t have told you to "drop by" in March 63 or earlier.
4. Elvis met Ann-Margret for the first time at the MGM soundstage in July 1963, according to her own autobiography.
5. Is the EPE Archives Team, the critically acclaimed Peter Guralnick, and everyone else wrong on the fact that Elvis NEVER was in Mexico? Was he pulling your leg AGAIN???

I can´t believe how often Elvis was lying to you. It just doesn´t sound like him. That bit of information was in the 1978 book as well. The short paragraph contains several factual mistakes, why didn´t you correct it in the 2006 book? It´s such an obvious mix-up!

Forgive me, but what´s the story?

Ingrid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:01 am 
Site Admin

Well, if we are getting to the "nitty gritty" of details, then I can't help you much. Sometimes months passed between talking to Elvis- those eary days of knowing him I didn't call him very often, he didn't call much either; it is true he said he had been to Mexico- he had done Fun In Acapulco earlier, mentioned the songs, said a little about his co stars and that he had gone down to Mexico- he had been there another time before he went in the army and didn't like the way the little kids were begging on the streets etc;- I had never been there, I remember him saying that because I too, would have been upset by kids begging etc:. The guy went from one film right into another one it seemed, and mostly hated them all so they were not a big discussion between us.
what does it matter...so I didn't fill in the time between when he taiked about that film, when he told me to come by and when I came by- he went home for Thanksgiving and Christmas and came back after his Birthday. Priscilla was coming out for a few days. I have no idea what month that was but I do know he had gone home for the holidays after Kissin Cousins- so most likely it was l964. I was not writing a day by day accounting of the time frame - and didn't try to because there were weeks and months in between the times I saw him and talked to him.
and besides, if I had tried to date and label everything, I know I would be wrong on some of it because I didn't know what date it was anyway.
Those things don't bother me- Sorry, I just don't care to stew over tying to nail every detail to the wall.
I am not the definitive authority on his life and never claimed to be.
IAnd that is all there is to it. Sorry if you expected more, or better, or something entirly different., but there are lots of other books that are more specific--- and I say good for them, they kept track or researched-
My husband put it pretty plainly... He said, "If that's what they want (detailed day by day etc:) let them get the books that do that- that's cold facts- your book is warm and loving memories, as we know it"-he's right.
bye,
wjh

Last edited by Wanda June Hill on Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:29 am 
Site Admin

Wanda June Hill wrote:
My husband put it pretty plainly.... He said, ..................your book is warm and loving memories, as we know it"-he's right.

AMEN Wanda my dear friend!! :wink: :D :D It is definitely that and then some!!! :wink: :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:36 am 
Hello Wanda,

I don´t feel this is getting down to the nitty-gritty. It´s just something I found in your books, and I guess it´s legitimate to ask how it came about.

Of course it´s natural one doesn´t keep track of every event every single day in one´s life.

That´s not really what I was wondering about. It´s just funny that this movie Fun in Acapulco should be on your mind at all, since it was shot months before you even met Elvis in person for the first time.

I have never heard before that Elvis was in Mexico during the making of this movie. All his scenes were filmed in LA, according to various sources.

I guess it´s easy to mix up all those "travelogues" Elvis hated so much.

So does that mean Elvis´ vacation in Acapulco with his father and friends took place in 1964 and had nothing to do with the movie Fun in Acapulco?

You know Wanda, your book is a loving account of a man we both adore. No doubt about that. But it´s precisely for that reason, because I love Elvis and his music so much, that I´m trying to find out the truth about him.

Thanks for your answer!

Ingrid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:40 am 
Site Admin

Hi, MaryInThe Morning, I'm glad that you agree! I sure am not the expert on details for anything much, unless it has to do with horses maybe, but with Elvis, it was always up or down, and we never knew when he'd call, or if he would, especially in those first years...it wasn't until later after his marriage went south- that he'd be calling more often, needing to sleep and relax his mind, and I didn't pin those calls to the wall or calendar either- it wasn't important so that wasn't something I'd do. I didn't ever imagine I'd need to know...darn...I am kind of dense about some things. Or maybe it never was anything I thought I'd be needing to know again...after all, he would always be here.

Well, thanks for posting, it's getting late and I am so beat tonight- too much to do around here and it's so hot outside but things have to be done. The trees are hanging over our roof and need cutting but we are both so darn old, it's not safe to climb on ladders very far and reaching up with the long handled trimmer is a bummer too. Then picking up the mess and hauling it down the hill to the dumpster- well, anyway, it's a drag this time of year. It's so dry too, it worries me some because just about 3 lots over and down the hill, the well the people put in for their new house two years ago, went dry. They are moving and putting it up for sale rather than pay the enormous fee the water department wants for bringing a pipe line up to their house! Crazy how the utilitie companys are so greedy! They bring it up for money, but they won't bring it to their house- they have to dig the ditch and lay the pipe and actaully hook on to the line- or pay the water co. to do it.... which is usually what happens.
They did that with us too, but Jimmie knew how to hook on and did it himself... and they even said he did a good job. We saved over 800 dollars with him doing it too. But for a well to go dry, one that had been really good just wo years ago- and suddenly is dry! That's bad news. So many people have wells up above us and they'll be next.
wjh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:52 am 
Site Admin

You know Ingrid, I don't know what year he went to Mexico - but he talked about Fun In Acapulco and Girls Girls Girls and how they were brochures for people looking to vacation, etc; and he hated having to do those type films, he said Blue Hawaii over and over and over- and I really wasn't much help because I hadn't seen Blue Hawaii or the others either- We did have the album though, Jimmie played it quite often because he liked the music- I liked some of it too- the Hawaiian Wedding Song was beautiful...his voice etc;.
I understand your quest Ingrid, really I do. But you won't find my style of writing lending it's self to details of dates and so forth because that's not my thing. I wish it were. I haven't read very many books on Elvis to date, none of those "research books" at all. It would be interesting to see the one that goes day by day probably, and it might even help to recall things some but I don't have it and won't be buying it any time soon. And too, one of the people at Graceland who worked on the archives said there were whole sections of Elvis' life they had no real record of and they were trying to piece things together to fill in the gaps- I wondered about that- where are these "gaps" and "why would there be no records" and was these the "gaps" he managed to sneak out and be else where?
And didn't bother telling where he'd been? There were some of those- I remember people calling around trying to find out where he might be- and I even got such a call- me who didn't exist after his death! I guess he must have been gone for several days and he never told them where he was either. But I fully understand why- he needed to get away, to have some peace and quiet and freedom from being Elvis Presley- just being himself. I didn't blame him one bit. wjh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:45 am 
I agree that no one, not even the people closest to Elvis, are a definite source of information. Everyone has a different perception, and it´s difficult to see the bigger picture if you´re in the eye of the hurricane yourself. I guess each of us has made that experience in our own lives.

Elvis totally had the right to disappear when he wanted to. There must be a number of untold stories out there. It´s exciting for us to find out about those.

I´m asking all these questions, Wanda, because although you´ve repeatedly mentioned on this forum, that you´re not an Elvis expert yourself, certain things as the above mentioned come across as definite facts in your books. You always sound so confident and secure in your comments and posts, quoting Elvis whenever you remember something he said. Like the "drop by" quote.

So forgive me for being surprised when I ask, and you actually don´t remember. Which is an honest answer, so fine with me, I understand that.

Thank you.

Ingrid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:01 am 
Hello Ladies,

I've been reading these exchanges between you, Ingrid, and you, Wanda, with great interest. I hope my unsolicited comments won't be terribly intrusive.

Ingrid it seems that you and I have arrived at some of the same questions to ask Wanda. I was also wondering about Mexico, for example, but didn't want to offend Wanda by asking. But I don't think you were being offensive in the way you asked for clarification. I didn't know anything about the address mix-ups you brought up on another thread, though...when I saw that, I also thought an explanation would be helpful.

You mentioned Guralnick and as far as I'm concerned that's a signal that you are very detail-oriented, like me. Only detail-oriented people could suffer through Guralnick :D

Wanda I greatly admire your spirit and selflessness. I appreciate what you want to do for Elvis. No one else has nearly as much first-hand information on tape. That he reveals his spiritual nature on those tapes is a priceless treasure. Please understand the magnitude of that treasure as you reveal it. People are putting great faith in the Elvis that you tell us about.

I'm glad that you are on a mission to reveal this unique side of Elvis. I hope it doesn't seem terribly rude for me to ask that you take equal care to protect your own credibility, so that the truth of your testimony doesn't go to waste.

I disagree that Ingrid's questions are about "nitty gritty details." Accuracy, right down to the details, is crucial to any biography that is destined to be taken seriously. Just because you knew him doesn't put you above the obligation to do the tedious leg-work in order to be PRECISE. Because, you see, people want to be able to trust your account of Elvis fully. It is such an amazing, rare, and beautiful story, I hope you will protect it.

It seems Elvis did tell you some huge lies. I hope you'll keep track of them as Ingrid did, so you don't misinform your audience. (Or perhaps you can just omit some, to protect your buddy's reputation? :lol:)

I wish all of you the very best.

Love and Peace,
Trish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:31 pm 
Site Admin

Hi,

I'll make this quick as no telling how long I can stay on line-I don't call Elvis' stories lying, don't feel he lied to me all the time etc:... every one who knew him knew he was prone to tell some stories, and enlarge on them at times for fun and to get laughs- but serious things were a different matter. My memory is not perfect- by a long shot and I am not nor did I ever intend to write a biography on Elvis- to do that one would have to have more knowledge, and indeed facts as absolute as possible, I don't rely on anything but my memory, that of people who were present and knew him or had been present and saw and heard thinigs-
If I feel that what i'm told is their version of what they had and saw etc; and it is truth as they know it, then I am inclined to believe them and if later on it turns out doubtful, I will give the benefit of the doubt and chalk it up to everyone of us humans, see, hear and think differently on any given subject. No two persons tell the same exact story about anything they both witnessed---it's just the nature of human beings.

I don't remember "cheesecake" being mentioned in the 78 book but haven't seen it in some time- but if it does say "cheesecake" and not ambrosia that maybe be why - a lot of people don't know what ambrosia
is and that's a fact. The editor of the 78 book took a lot of liberties and left out more pages than I can remember now. But less than a 1/3 of the manuscript was used. And that was frustrating, I couldn't do anything about it and that was that. Elvis liked cheesecake, but it wasn't that he spoke of using the same cow's cream etc:...and a bathtub to mix it in.... I don't think he did that- or anyone did- but then, he would do some crazy things at times... Like slicing cake with his comb---I saw a photo of him doing that - it was black and white and I think the cake was a birthday cake for him. And he's the guy who used to carry his own fork, knife and spoon with him!

I have done the best I can with remembering things, and that's all I can do. I refuse to spend time trying to figure out something I can't really remember, so I will go with what notes I have, transcripts , many not dated either, and what I can piece together with something that was going on in my life, or his, at the time to try to have a time line. That is all I can do.

The important point is that I wanted people to have a chance to know the "other" sides of Elvis instead of just what his exemployees told about him, and are still saying. It's really odd to me that people will believe what they say, even those debasing things they can come up with and then say HE is lying because I said he told me this or that. I choose to believe Elvis, he might have told me lies at times, but they were innocent lies and perhaps he had a good reason for saying whatever it was at the time. He didn't tell me every move he made, thank heaven!
And I didn't question him and I don't question his motives now- or when I found out he wasn't were he said he was- I thought he had a reason and that was good enough for me.

You all can come up with dozens of such "mistakes" in my books no doubt, but it was what I was thinking at the time, and what I recalled, and as several people have said after reading these posts over the past day, maybe it is because I am within "reach" and resonded and none of the other's do? Maybe so, but this is it kids- what time I can see the screen and be on line at the same time, I am too busy trying to get indexes, sources, internet addresses and credit pages for F. to F. which is as accurate as I can make it, to keep up as it is.
bye, wjh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:49 pm 
Hi Trish,

very beautifully stated! I don´t think you´re being intrusive, this is an open forum!

With lovely and good-hearted members, that´s a fact that doesn´t need to be proven.

And it´s great that we can learn from each other.

I´ve read your post about Elvis being a dog, not a pig according to the Chinese calender in the Spritual Path forum. It´s funny, I found out about me not being a snake, but a dragon by accident, when I was working at a store as a college kid, and we were selling these Chinese bracelets that were very popular a few years ago!

Since I´m definitely the wrong person to ask, I hope the more knowledgeable members will reply to you.

Like you I´ve also enjoyed reading Guralnick, especially the first book of the biography about the early years. He had access to the vast Graceland archives for his research, which isn´t granted to everyone.

But you have to like dry facts, as you pointed out, Trish!

Coming back to the original topic, Wanda, well, what a response!

What Trish said exactly reflects my own feelings.

If I can´t take as a fact what sounds like a fact, I´m confused.

The paragraph I quoted about Fun in Acapulco contains false facts, even if they didn´t happen on purpose.

You know, Guralnick makes mistakes, too, so that´s not the point at all. I have an example: he made Priscilla 24, when in fact she was 22 at one time in his book Elvis Day by Day. Innocent mistake, and meaningless in the bigger picture.

But what am I supposed to think if it´s not only an innocent mistake like placing a movie in the wrong year, but a questionable Mexico trip no one knows anything about, a Hawaii vacation when Priscilla was pregnant that she didn´t mention in her own book, conflicting addresses on letterheads, questionable content in letters from Elvis in even more questionable handwriting. Bookpages from Elvis´ books you have with strange notes in the margin.

You´re right Wanda, I do have more examples.

As a former believer, who began to wonder about a few things and to look closer, I have more examples, and more questions. Plus I´m aware of the criticism against you.

I can´t just blindly believe something, you actually gave me credit for that, Wanda.

I´m not questioning your good intentions and your purpose to paint a different, more positive picture. To set the record straight about Elvis.

I totally understand that you have written me off after my blunt questioning, and I told you privately that you don´t owe me anything. You generously chose to talk to me anyway.

The way I understand it, you will not answer any more questions?

Trish came up with legitimate points as well, being more diplomatic than I was, I don´t feel she deserves this kind of brush-off that was probably mostly directed against me.

Ingrid

Page 1 of 8 [ 75 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next