It is currently Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Priscilla Presley fought to save Graceland
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:55 am 
Flame

Priscilla Presley fought to save Graceland
Jan 5, 2013

(BANG) -Priscilla Presley felt Elvis Presley's voice ''guiding'' her to save Graceland.

The actress' late ex-husband's house in Memphis, Tennessee, has been preserved as a shrine in his honour and it is now a huge tourist attraction, but Priscilla had to fight hard to keep the property and its contents after Elvis' death in 1977.

She said: ''I wanted to do the right thing, knowing what Elvis wanted and how much he loved Graceland. I had the forces against me. Attorneys, business and financial people just a him as someone who had passed away and would be forgotten about in a few months. I didn't see it that way. I put my foot down.

''They wanted me to sell Graceland and get rid of all the properties and artefacts, and I said, 'No, it's not happening. This is his legacy.' He gave us too much for something like that to happen. It was almost as though his voice was guiding me.''

Priscilla, now 67, also said Graceland serves as a great reminder of who Elvis was for his grandchildren; Riley Keough, Benjamin Keough, Harper Vivienne Ann Lockwood, Finley Aaron Love Lockwood, all offspring of her and Elvis' daughter Lisa Marie.

She told Britain's HELLO! magazine: ''We go to Graceland and there are pictures, so we'll tell them about that if they ask. If they hear music we'll say, that's your granddaddy singing.''

Source: Divine.ca

Post subject: Re: Priscilla Presley fought to save Graceland
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:43 pm 
Flame

Thanks for posting this article, Liliane.

But I ask myself question what kind of crap we hear as next. Last year she told a newspaper that there is a "message for her" in Elvis song "Bridge over trouble", now she told newspapers that she is the one who "saved" Graceland because "Elvis voice guiding her". Did she realize really what she is telling? I have my doubts! So what came next?
She is NOT his widow, there were around 5 years divorced when Elvis died. And she wasn't the sole heirness of his legacy. That was and is Lisa Marie. And she wasn't alone in charge of Elvis' legacy, she was just one member of the executive comittee, which were National Bank of Commerce, Memphis/Tennessee and Elvis lawer Joseph. A. Hanks and as third co-executor Priscilla Presley.
So why she also like to be the person who "saved" Graceland? She couldn't make any decission by her own, no way without the other two trustees.
Why she never mentioned that she got paid for her "work"?
Better she keep quiet about "the great love of my life" and look after herself and amuse herself with her new, 25 years younger lover! :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:08 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

Again, I would like to make a bright golden veil of Compassion fall on whatever weakness we all may have, as to allow the beauty of essentials be the inspirer of our seeing. * * *

Elvis said: "LOVE is what it's all about." :*::*: Now I know it's true.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:00 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

:roll: I Agree So Much in What you have Said Here Angel Eyes!! :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:21 pm 
Site Admin

Perhaps age is catching up with her? She has been on a "roller coaster ride" most of her life of one kind or another; sometimes people stop thinking clearly about the present and kind of drift back into the past more and more. I am finding that I remember things from the 60's and 70's that I really hadn't thought about in years-nothing spectacular but just little incidents and experiences back in Garden Grove; good times all of them actually. And according to Grandma Suzy who lived a heck of a long time and a heck of a life as she'd put it, it's natural to remember
things one used to enjoy when the present is changing and out of your hands---
Her's don't have much hold on her present family-Lisa's- any more. Her little girl is her own person and does things her way; she is more like her daddy in thought and even actions, including she wanted a family, a home life and she left "the country of her birth" to give the last one's that type life. I applaud her for being her own person even though she had a very hard and heavy load to carry
considering her daddy's fame and her mother's guidance or lack of it. That we really don't know about...only what's been said, read and repeated and often not by anyone who actually was on the scene and actually knew her or how she truly lived- away from the press and cameras. So I cut her some slack...
she did what Elvis said she would do...she came to help when needed, she helped make the decision NOT to sell of his stuff as his daddy wanted to do...
and she knew how much he loved his home Graceland, how he wanted his child to live there, to have it for her home...so we have to give her some credit since
had she NOT agreed to help (and yes she was paid and still is) Graceland would
belong to some one else and it would probably NOT have remained as he would have wanted it to...China might have become the owner... and be making things even more shoddy than what the Col. did or what is going on now!!! I am really glad that Elvis' words came back to give her the will to put her foot down and insist on saving everything... it's what he would have wanted her to do. I guess it is true that she was told it was a "money pit" considering the age of the house, the up keep and the repairs and etc and costs of keeping it running...and yet, it's the most visited home in the US, after the White house.
Elvis would be shaking his head in disbelief! And he'd be very pleased also...
Have a great week,
wjh

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:03 am 
Flame

Wanda, you're right in all what you said in the first part of your post about Lisa Marie. And yes, it is true - when we got older and looking back of our life, our memories are always more "golden" as the reality often was.
Yes, Priscilla had her stint of saving Graceland, but the facts are different. First of all the city of Memphis thought to buy and save Graceland - but the cost were to high so their plan failed.
Not to forget: Graceland was and still is the property of Lisa Marie.
Also it is untrue, that Elvis was broken at the time of his death, that is a fairytale, told by Priscilla. Fact is that his legacy at the time of his death was worthy around 7,5 Million $ - as the official records from Shelby Country show up - the alway told sum of 500.000.- $ were just the cash money in the bank.
(I posted a few months ago some of this documents in another thread!)

To open parts of Graceland for the fans (at first Elvis' graveside) was the decision of Vernon Presley. Later on (after Vernon's death), when Priscilla choose Jack Soden as her adviser, he had the idea to open Graceland as a museum to fans. Of course she and the two others of the comittee had to agree to all the plans. No doubt, it is great that Graceland is open for all of Elvis' fans. And I gave Priscilla some credit for her involvment in all this plans and their realization. And that's the reason that I don't see her as the one and only savior of Graceland - and a lot of Elvis's fans neither do so.
The idea behind the plans of to open Graceland were, that with the admission fees of all the visitors could be paid all cost of maintenance for Graceland.

To make it clear again: I'm not a Priscilla-hater nor a Priscilla-lover. I make up my mind just of the facts, underpins with documents - that's all.
But in my opinion Priscilla never did something without to have a benefit for herself. As she said onces she was always jealous of all the love, that Elvis got from his fans - and I think that's the real reason behind all what she did and said. As I wrote: she had a very subtle way and reading her interviews with a open mind, you can see between the lines her real motiv.
And if her life was like a roller coaster ride - so she decided of how her life would be - like everybody. And if you make decisions so you have to bear the consequences. I don't want nor I like to judge her, but what I dislike a lot is her partiality of always beeing in the limelight -at the expense of Elvis.
In one way I feel sorry for her because seemingly she needed for her self-esteem to be in the lime light or to be acceppted or loved by fans and people - as Elvis was and is.

And as Lisa Marie make it clear: She never will sale Graceland. iI is her beloved home, full of memories of happy childhood days. Thanks to God that she is a lot the person of what her Dad was too.

P.S. Wanda, I was lucky to get your book "We remember Elvis" and I'm happy to own it now. :bouncy:

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]