It is currently Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Priscilla Visits Elvis' Birthplace
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:47 pm 
Flame

Priscilla Visits Elvis' Birthplace: Tourists at Elvis Presley's Tupelo birthplace got a surprise bonus, a glimpse of the singer's ex-wife, Priscilla Presley, making her first visit since the early 1970s.
She was given the keys to the city Saturday, and said she was taken aback the first time Presley showed her his childhood home.
"There were no additions when I was here last, there was just the little house he was born in," she said. "Coming here for the first time I was so shocked to see the place. Two rooms! I don't know how they lived — and with his grandmother and father and, of course, Gladys."
Elvis was 13 when his parents, Vernon and Gladys, moved to Memphis, Tenn., in 1948. He had his first recording contract in 1954, a year after graduating from high school.
Dick Guyton, director of the birthplace, said Presley took time to read
the description of every item in the museum.
Priscilla, who met Elvis as a teenager in Germany, said he spoke often and fondly of his life in east Tupelo.
"He told me of his humble beginnings: the home he was born in, the Assembly of God church that he went to," she told the small crowd. "I got to learn a lot about him there because it was a delicate time for him. He never forgot Tupelo, Mississippi. He never forgot where he was raised."
She said she's proud of what Tupelo has done to preserve his early life and will send as much tourism there as she can.
Before the tour, Mayor Jason Shelton, with the aid of Elvis' second cousin Brandon Presley, gave Priscilla Presley the key to the city and read a proclamation naming her an honorary citizen of Tupelo.
"I was absolutely star-stuck," Shelton said. "To be able to present Ms. Priscilla Presley with a key to the city and make her an honorary citizen is certainly a highlight of my administration."
Guyton showed Priscilla the mold of a statue of Elvis as a child, with guitar, that will be placed on the ridge along with another larger-than-life statue and a new pavilion.
"We plan to have it finished in time for the 80th birthday" next year, Guyton said. "We would like to invite you to be our guest at the 80th birthday party."

(News, Source;MemphisCA/ElvisInfoNet)

Post subject: Re: Priscilla Visits Elvis' Birthplace
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:18 pm 
Sun Dial

:hello: Liliane its nice to see you and Thank You for posting, Nice Article! :love:

Without you I am nothing an could never be so bold. The times we've shared, the laughter and the tears. Priceless memories, treasures all. How could I ever fail? With you I don't fear that at all. Elvis Presley!

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ]