It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Movie 'Tears Of A King' About The Spiritual Elvis
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:34 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

Quote:
In the summer of 2007, the movie 'Tears Of A King' will hit the American movie theaters. Instead of yet another biography, this picture will focus on the spiritual side of Elvis that was very prominent in the 70s. The search from Elvis to his believe leads him to the Mormons. This community claims that Elvis was willing to join them thru a baptism, but he never made it. It's highly doubtfull that the movie wil come to the European theaters.Source: Elvis Matters / Updated: Jan 25, 2007

I have not read anything which would indicate that Elvis was planning on becoming a Mormon. Elvis seemed to me to be someone who tried to find the truth in various philosophies and religions, and was very open in his search. It may be that the Mormon Church misunderstood his interest.
Does anyone know any differently? Could it be that he really was planning on becoming a Mormon and kept it a secret?

Last edited by Blue Moon on Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:13 am 
I have never heard of this either, like you said Elvis stuied all Religons and Beliefs. But I think he was always going back to the Beliefs and Teachings of The Assembly of God Church where he grew up in, and what his Mom taught him. FairyTale!

Post subject: Mormon religion
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:50 am 
Site Admin

Well, yes he did study the Mormon religion and in fact gave me one of the Bibles so that we could "talk about it" as I didn't know anything much there. He was reading all kinds of religious books, all kinds of different faiths and beliefs at the time. He met some one who was a Mormon and spoke with him about the religion and knowing Elvis and his interesting way of discussing things, the guy thought Elvis wanted to convert. I recall Elvis saying that he could see similiarities but he couldn't
accept the idea that there was another person other than Jesus the Christ who spoke of and was the way to Heaven and he didn't want to change his belief in His teachings on the advice or urging of another human being. He trusted God to give him the path and direction. I know that that fellow came out and spoke of how Elvis was going to switch and with that idea in his mind after Elvis died and he truly believed that Elvis would have converted but I do not think so. Elvis made everyone feel as if they were the greatest thing since white bread and peanut butter when he talked with them, he listened, gave his full attention and made that person feel he was hanging on his every word when in fact he was just being Elvis and soaking what he wanted up like a sponge and discarding the rest. Elvis was just that way, he made people feel special, important to him and they sometimes thought they were the most important when in fact, it was only during the time they were there that he would show interest. Elvis just liked to tear things apart and examine every piece and then see how it fit back together with what he felt was right, whatever it was. I believe that's what happened with the Mormon Religion thing, he was just studying it, taking it apart piece by piece and had the guy believing that he meant to absorb it totaly and be come one. One of the last conversations we had in those last months of his life was how much he was looking forward to sitting at the feet of Jesus and have him explain things to him and he said, "'cause I sure don't have the brains to figure it out for myself!" That doesn't sound like he meant to become a Mormon to me. Jesus was his Lord and God was his Father and he had been baptised by running water in a stream and he said he could still remember the goosebumps and feel the touch of Jesus' hand on his head. He studied religions out of interest and trying to better understand other people and their beliefs...he studied the Jewish religion but he didn't become a Jew.
He studied the Catholic religion, Seventh Day Adventist, Lutheren, Baptist, Hindu, Muslin and probably some I have no idea what they are...he even checked out Wicker religion because he knew a lady who was he said, "a witch" and a member of that group. She was not a "bad" witch he said and practiced doing good works. Anyway, it will be interesting to see what Tears of a King is about-you know that controversy sells-and that will shake up some people if they go there-but it might also bring a great many people around to seeing that Elvis was a spiritual man, had true heartfelt belief in a hearafter and a living God. It can work both ways and will no doubt do more good than harm. It certainly will be much better than the Stanley movie. wjh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:16 pm 
I don't believe Elvis was interested in becoming Morman either .
He studied many religions ....more so, spirituality .
But, I agree Wanda .....Anything put in a postive {God} rather than a negative can only aide in helping people see what Elvis was really about. :D

Post subject: Re: Mormon religion
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:08 am 
Site Admin

Wanda June Hill wrote:
Anyway, it will be interesting to see what Tears of a King is about-you know that controversy sells-and that will shake up some people if they go there-but it might also bring a great many people around to seeing that Elvis was a spiritual man, had true heartfelt belief in a hearafter and a living God. It can work both ways and will no doubt do more good than harm. It certainly will be much better than the Stanley movie. wjh

I agree completely with what you said above Wanda--especially the very last sentence. :wink: :P :D

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]