It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 11:27 am 
Site Admin

Hi, thank you for posting the interview! I enjoyed reading it and I recall Elvis mentioning the director was helping him learn some things-and saying something about he wanted to do it and I thought at the time he sounded kind of suprised but we didn't get into any more about that part of it. He did mention Mahalia Jackson visiting and he also did like the "fisty Jane Elliot and was he said, teaching her karate moves as she was interested in learning them." I don't think it was a romantic thing going there-but then who knows now..only them. She did continue karate lessons and I think was mentioned in connection with one of the dojo's Elvis was teaching I think. Can't remember where I read or heard that now. wjh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 4:12 pm 
Site Admin

What a wonderful interview Sue-Lenora! :D Thank you so much for posting it!! :D I especially enjoyed reading the following parts: Q : What was the tone on the set with Elvis and the other cast?

A : The tone was very comfortable. Elvis was wonderful to work with. Elvis was the nicest man I ever met in my life. He was the politest man I ever met. He called everyone sir or ma'am, you know, starting with the crafts service man with the guard at the gate, all the way up to the head of the studio. Everyone was sir. He was very responsive to direction. He didn't show any of the kind of ego, the kind of temperament that you would expect from a big star -- and he was a big star. He was wonderful with the crew. He didn't like to go into the commissary at lunchtime because people would pester him for autographs, so very often he would eat in his trailer. And then quite often he'd come out and sit around on the set and bring out his guitar and he would sing and play for us. You know, he'd play some of the old favorites like 'Hound Dog', or 'Blue Suede Shoes' and this was wonderful for us. This was really a thrill.

[I feel that this part really shows what a loving heart Elvis had and that no matter how big a star he was he still ALWAYS remained an "every man" and never failed to treat others with respect and kindness no matter what jobs or titles they had. :D Nor did he ever make anybody feel like they were in any way inferior to him. :D Such a truly amazing and very admirable quality to have especially in Hollywood where that kind of an attitude is practically unheard of. :P :D :D ]

"I'll tell you something else that happened to him shooting. We were shooting this musical number on a merry-go-round where he's taken this little girl to the park and he takes her on the merry-go-round and she's riding around and Elvis is singing to her. Well, she was a very young girl and she could only work for a few hours a day with us getting into all kinds of penalties and overtime. So when it came time to do Elvis' close up the little girl wasn't available to do the offstage. Also, you know, her attention span was not that great. So Elvis said to me, 'I always feel better when I'm singing a song if I can look at somebody and if I can sing to somebody'. He says, 'I wonder if you would mind standing beside the camera and let me sing to you when I do my close ups'. So I had Elvis Presley sing a song directly to me in a movie, and that was quite a thrill."

[This part really touched my heart because it shows the shy litlte boy in him that I love that needed that reassurance in order to make him feel better. :D :wink: Oh and what a thrill it must have been to have Elvis singing a song DIRECTLY to him. :D What I wouldn't give to have been able to be in his place that day. :wink:]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 2:02 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

Thanks Sue! Very interesting to read.

This part is quite revealing of Colonel Parker's true nature:
Quote:
Well, the Colonel got wind of it and one day he called me into his office and he said, 'I hear you've been going up to Elvis', Sonny'. And I said, 'Yeah, that's right. I've been working with him. We've been working on the acting and he's really coming along very well'. So he said, 'Well listen, Sonny', he said, 'Let me tell you something. We make these movies for a certain price and they make a certain amount of money, no less and no more'. So he said, 'Don't you be goin' for no Oscar, Sonny, because we ain't got no tuxedos'.

But Mr. Graham has this to say of Elvis' acting abilities:
Quote:
Q : What do you think of Elvis as an actor?

A : I think he had some real potential. I think that if he could have worked some more on it and if he could have gotten better scripts, I think he could have been a perfectly good actor.

And he has this to say of Elvis the person:
Quote:
A : Only that of all the people I've ever worked with in my entire life, and I've been a director for 47 years, Elvis was the nicest man I've ever worked with.

I wonder what Elvis thought of Mahalia Jackson visiting the set. He had her records and she was one of gospel's greats. I imagine he must have been thrilled.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 4:03 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

Here's a photo of Elvis with Mahalia Jackson.
I think Elvis may be wearing his Change of Habit doctor's cloak??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 12:16 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

Great interview, thank you,Sue!!

Quote:
Elvis was wonderful to work with. Elvis was the nicest man I ever met in my life. He was the politest man I ever met.

....again and again we read this from so many different people!! :D :D

"ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE IF YOU ONLY BELIEVE"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 5:03 pm 
Site Admin

FOUND IT VERY REVEALING AS TO WHAT GRAHAM HAD TO SAY ABOUT THE COL. VERY SAD THAT HE DID THIS BEHIND ELVIS' BACK. SO OBVIOUS HE WAS UNDERMINING ELVIS' CAREER. :cry:

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]