It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: ANTIQUES ROADSHOW LOOKING FOR PIC OF ELVIS IN SUIT
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:21 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

Antiques Roadshow, a PBS traveling show which visits cities to appraise peoples antiques, is wanting a photo of Elvis wearing a certain black stage suit. I'm not sure what to call it but maybe "black rain"??

The show was in Memphis where a woman brought in the suit, donated from & authenticated by Vernon for a 1975 benefit auction. The value of the suit increases significantly if a picture of Elvis wearing this suit can be found. I've done some looking on the net and so far could not find a picture of Elvis in this suit. He must have hardly worn it. Surely, though, someone somewhere must have a picture with him wearing it.

Here is the link to the story and picture of the suit. Double click on the photo to see more of the suit.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/roadshow/ ... ur3_1.html

To watch a video of the appraisal, click on the below link; then click on the picture of the suit.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/roadshow/ ... hour3.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:57 am 
Site Admin

Hi, I think he did wear that suit in Vegas-but it was black and hot and they didn't let people take photo's in the showroom with flash cameras so any that were taken were sneaked photos without flash. I didn't see him wear it that I remember, but I have seen a few photos of him with it on-at least it looks familiar and I think it was called the "Rain" suit. He didn't wear it much at all from what Starla says-and maybe just in the Vegas era that one time...kind of like the Cisco suits-they came and they went-fast. Luckily I did see him wear the brown one and that was a fluke as had we gone later on in the month-wouldn't have seen it or the others either-I think there were just two made, the brown and the black one like it. I do not know of any photo's in that Rain suit-no one I know now has any but if there are any-Sean Shaver would have it. wjh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:14 pm 
Site Admin

I can see where he probably wouldn't have worn that suit too much either like you said Wanda due to it being black and so hot on him. Poor baby worked up such a sweat on stage but man he looked good doin' it. :wink: :P :D That being said, I agree with you Sue in that it is a really great suit and I'm sure it most definitely looked even better on him! :wink: :D I don't think I've ever seen a picture of him wearing it either. Laurie thank you so much for this really interesting information and the links you shared with us too. :D It will be interesting to see if a picture of him wearing it ever shows up. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:34 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

You're welcome Sue & Mari. I have never seen any of Elvis' suits appraised before so was interesting to watch.

Wanda, thanks for the info re this suit. I sent an email to Antiques Roadshow suggesting they check out Sean Shaver's work.

I am now more curious than ever to see a picture of Elvis wearing this rarely seen stage outfit.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]