It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Elvis the Singer
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:13 pm 
Site Admin

Elvis' VOICE was such a transmitter of his SPIRIT. Yes, he was an incredibly talented entertainer, but there was so much more to his vocalizations than that. His singing reached into the SOUL.

Elvis the Singer by Paul Simpson
By: Paul Simpson - May 20, 2005
Source: Elvis Australia

(excerpt) As a natural instrument, Elvis' voice had far greater range and depth than either singer, greater, indeed, than most singers, with the possible exception of Aretha Franklin. But for 80 per cent of his time in the studio, he knew how to use that voice to most telling effect. So he rarely over-sings when recording, delivering a vocal to suit the song. So he can rasp and rage for Jailhouse Rock, loudly accuse in 'Hound Dog', bare his soul and beg on 'Any Day Now' and sound quietly, sadly, worldly wise on 'Funny How Time Slips Away'. 'Return To Sender' is a superb example of a vocal tightrope walk beyond the powers of many of today's singers influenced by the likes of Carey and Michael.

This gift may explain why his music endures so powerfully and why his performances remain so easy to hear. And, being Elvis, every so often, he sets his voice free to produce a moment that can make you shiver. He can do this even in songs that aren't classics - for me, the way he assures his lover "Oh babe I've not forgot" on Bringing It Back is worth the price of the 'Elvis Today' album just by itself, though it has the unintended effect of outshining the song.

complete article:
http://www.elvis.com.au/presley/elvis_the_singer.shtml

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:19 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

Elvis could take any song from any genre & make it his own. Take, for example, what he does with the country song, "I Really Don't Want to Know". I never heard a country song sung like that before! He put so much "soul" into it, and when I listen to it, it cuts deep into my soul.

Post subject: Walk A Mile In My Shoes
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:40 pm 
Site Admin

WALK A MILE IN MY SHOES - THE ESSENTIAL '70's MASTERS boxed (CD) set is my favorite collection of Elvis' music - bar none! :D

It not only has ALL the good standard Elvis songs from the 1970's, but outtakes that are superb, such as "Aya En Rancho Grande", a fantastic studio version of "I'll Remember You" (dif from the old studio version - longer and better), a laughing "Froggy" , more, more , more, including "The Twelfth of Never" (sigh). All great! :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:50 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

“…THE ESSENTIAL '70's MASTERS” boxed set has been on my wish list to get. And now, thanks to Maia’s comments, I’m even more interested. Also want to get “….THE ESSENTIAL 60’S MASTERS” boxed set too but did wonder why “If I Can Dream” was not included in the set and also why his very best movie tunes (i.e. “Can’t Help Falling in Love”) were not included.

Last edited by Blue Moon on Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:23 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

hope you'll have them soon..those 3 box sets are great ,50's,60's and 70's masters all of'em.. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:31 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, I have the other two boxed sets as well (50s & 60s) and the are great too!! In fact, that "I'll Remember You" version I wrote about above was not in the 70s set but the 60s one. :roll:

Just that the 70's one seemed to have more real blockbuster new material on it (from my perspective).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:27 pm 
YOU KNOW WHEN I WATCH ELVIS SING THE RANGE HE COULD TAKE HIS VOICE IS TRULY AMAZING, FROM A BASS TO ALMOST A SOPRANO IN THE SAME BREATH. HE WAS TRULY A NATURAL! FAIRYTALE!

Post subject: Box Sets
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:08 am 
Sun Dial

I had never noticed that If I Can Dream wasn't in the '60s set, but you're right. Hmm?

As for the movie songs, they intentionally separated the movie soundtracks and gospel recordings (for the most part) from the regular recording session songs, probably as so many of the movie songs were "situational," didn't really stand on their own, and some of them (hate to say) were awful. Elvis Presley singing Old McDonald?? Please! I read somewhere that he hated that and stormed out of the studio after having to record it. :x Read, too, that he hated the song Dominic from Stay Away, Joe and made them promise not to EVER release that song on a record.

However, there were many great songs from his movies including Return to Sender, Can't Help Falling in Love, A Little Less Conversation, Almost, etc. So what they need to do is filter out the not-so-good songs and release a box set or extended CD of his movie songs.[/i] There are too many good ones to ignore the whole lot of them. :)

Post subject: Movie Songs
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:19 am 
Sun Dial

I got an email today that a new series of CDs is being released on three other Elvis "genres," similar to the previous set of Rock, Country, Inspirational. These are R&B, Live, and MOVIES! Most of them are the title tunes from the movies with songs of the same name. (Hence, nothing from Live a Little, Love a Little, It Happened at the World's Fair, etc.) Not always the best song from each movie, but hey! It's a start! Here's the link: www.elvisthemusic.com

Gives a track listing for each genre. Apparently it was released (in Wal-Mart, etc.) on August 1.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:12 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

Hi Wanda Mc,

You can also get movie hit selections with:
"Command Performances: The Essential 60's Masters II" http://music.barnesandnoble.com/search/ ... 0127&ITM=2
and also
"Can't Help Falling in Love: The Hollywood Hits" http://music.barnesandnoble.com/search/ ... 3829&ITM=3

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next