It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Rolling Stone / Robert Plant article
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:21 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

Quote:
The 100 Greatest Singers Of All Time
The Rolling Stone magazine blue-ribbon panel of 179 experts ranked music's finest vocalists and several wrote an article on the artists in the Top 10.

The Top 10:

1. Aretha Franklin By Mary J. Blige
2. Ray Charles By Billy Joel
3. Elvis Presley By Robert Plant
4. Sam Cooke By Van Morrison
5. John Lennon By Jackson Browne
6. Marvin Gaye By Alicia Keys
7. Bob Dylan By Bono
8. Otis Redding By Booker T. Jones
9. Stevie Wonder By Cee-Lo
10. James Brown By Iggy Pop

Iggy Pop and Patti Smith from the expert panel put Elvis on #1, see their ballots.

Elvis Presley by Robert Plant

Born :January 8th, 1935 (died August 16th, 1977)
Key Tracks: "Mystery Train," "Hound Dog," "Suspicious Minds"
Influenced: Bono, Bruce Springsteen

There is a difference between people who sing and those who take that voice to another, otherworldly place, who create a euphoria within themselves. It's transfiguration. I know about that. And having met Elvis, I know he was a transformer.

The first Elvis song I heard was "Hound Dog." I wasn't equipped with any of the knowledge I have now, about the Big Mama Thornton version or where all that swing was coming from. I just heard this voice, and it was absolutely, totally in its own place. The voice was confident, insinuating and taking no prisoners. He had those great whoops and diving moments, those sustains that swoop down to the note like a bird of prey. I took all that in. You can hear that all over Led Zeppelin.

When I met Elvis with Zeppelin, after one of his concerts in the early Seventies, I sized him up. He wasn't quite as tall as me. But he had a singer's build. He had a good chest — that resonator. And he was driven. "Anyway You Want Me" is one of the most moving vocal performances I've ever heard. There is no touching "Jailhouse Rock" and the stuff recorded at the King Creole sessions. I can study the Sun sessions as a middle-aged guy looking back at a bloke's career and go, "Wow, what a great way to start." But I liked the modernity of the RCA stuff. "I Need Your Love Tonight" and "A Big Hunk o' Love" were so powerful — those sessions sounded like the greatest place to be on the planet.

At that meeting, Jimmy Page joked with Elvis that we never soundchecked — but if we did, all I wanted to do was sing Elvis songs. Elvis thought that was funny and asked me, "Which songs do you sing?" I told him I liked the ones with all the moods, like that great country song "Love Me" — "Treat me like a fool/Treat me mean and cruel/But love me." So when we were leaving, after a most illuminating and funny 90 minutes with the guy, I was walking down the corridor. He swung 'round the door frame, looking quite pleased with himself, and started singing that song: "Treat me like a fool. . . ." I turned around and did Elvis right back at him. We stood there, singing to each other.

By then, because of the forces around him, it was difficult for him to stretch out with more contemporary songwriters. When he died, he was 42. I'm 18 years older than that now. But he didn't have many fresh liaisons to draw on — his old pals weren't going to bring him the new gospel. I know he wanted to express more. But what he did was he made it possible for me, as a singer, to become otherworldly.

Playlist:

1. Mystery Train
2. Hound Dog
3. Suspicious Minds
4. Can't Help Falling in Love
5. Jailhouse Rock
6. Burning Love
7. All Shook Up
8. Kentucky Rain
9. In the Ghetto
10. Don't Be Cruel

On the Rolling Stone magazine website you can read more on the Top 100.

Source: Rolling Stone / Updated: Nov 18, 2008

Last edited by Blue Moon on Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Rolling Stone / Robert Plant article
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:25 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

I have this copy and I read what was written about Elvis. I sense that in America a generation of Elvis fans are coming back to him and the music he created. In that sense, too, young people are learning of Elvis and the amazing gifts he gave in his too brief amount of time here.
There will never be another Elvis. No one can replicate his voice, his joy, the love that is found in his song arrangements, the way he moved, the smiles that came from his heart and to his lips and his beautiful eyes. "They say the eyes tell so much......" and in the case of Elvis' blue eyes that certainly is true. Whether I hear him, I read about him or I see him on a concert tape all comes back to me and my heart. I will always, and I do not like to sound like a broken record, believe Elvis was a gift sent by the One above to teach humanity some lessons about compassion, integrity, being able to FEEL what another is experiencing and how can that person be helped. What can be done? Elvis did not hestitate much. He felt strongly about many things and what he cared about/how much/how often was generally not known outside of his small group of people he thought he could trust. Maybe that is the lesson we were to learn: "Everyone has an agenda and think about what that might be BEFORE instead of afterward."
I know that Elvis Presley lives in my head and in my heart and 'the kids' no longer tease me about having a bedroom like a 'teen' in love because they know my feelings for all Elvis was able to "teach" will remain in the room in which I sleep for as long as I am her as a member of planet earth. I am teaching Gavin and I will be teaching Hayden and most certainly 'jelly bean' all about what a single individual was able to accomplish in a few short number of years before he was taken back on home. They in turn will be able to understand their grandma better and learn all about a precious man called Elvis.
always with love,
73smile

Last edited by 73smile on Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Herodotes Greek historian 484-432 BC

Post subject: Re: Rolling Stone / Robert Plant article
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:25 pm 
I have also read this and it is SO FANTASTIC! :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy: :mrgreen: :hug:

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]