It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Re: Flaming Star, a positive review
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:36 pm 
Thanks for sharing this RainBowLight, it is a real Shame that Elvis couldn't once again do a Good Movie like he Dreamed. It is also so Sad that other People seen want Parker was doing, and that it seems like People were either to Afraid of the Colonial or just didn't care enough for Elvis' Benefit!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:12 pm 
:D :bouncy: :mrgreen: Yes it would have Been Something to have seen Elvis get a OSCAR! :love:

Last edited by FairyTale on Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:30 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

I think that Elvis was "caught" by promises made by the CON and had he had a real manager he would have made the movies he wanted to make because his acting ability was as real as his amazing voice. The CON certainly had others stand in fear of him and he used fear to keep Elvis "caught."
73smile

Herodotes Greek historian 484-432 BC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:59 pm 
Site Admin

Lots of people who worked with Elvis or knew people who worked on the films, some producers and directors etc; now say that he had talent, was a good actor and could have handled much deeper roles. they all seem to blame his management etc; because they felt Elvis wanted to make better films. He surely did.
From the first film, the Col. and his Paramount productions friend tricked naive Elvis into believing he was taking a "strictly acting test" when he tested for Rainmaker and then when he pretended to play a guitar with no strings, for his film test and he blew them away. Right away the powers behind the business saw that he had such power on stage, he was a money maker for sure they thought and with his charm and looks and ability to turn the teens on, they saw dollar signs and that was all. Elvis went into that first film saying he wasn't going to be singing in the movies...well, he was barely into it when he had to play and sing at the country social thing and then to his film mom and his wife while his brothers looked on. 3 songs got worked into that film, and then at the end when he was shot and killed, another one brought it to closing. He wasn't happy about it, he called his mom and complained, getting it out of his system and listening to her telling him to go and do his best because they wanted him to do it and it must be for the best. He could ask not to do anymore in the next one. Well, we know that the next one was all a bout him singing, as part of a traveling group. It just didn't end there. He sang in Flaming Star, in Wild in the Country, in G.I.Blues and Blue Hawaii and every film he made, even if it was only the title song. He was signed as a musical comedy artist for 7 years... and then hooked back to it for another 4 or so, don't recall now how many that second time. He was loaned out alot to do the films, and because he was so popular he kept many an actress and actor working, keeping studios open and helping keep the film industry from going in the tank. That is a known fact that has been spoken of several times over the past few years. Elvis provided so many jobs for actors and actresses, for stage crews, for studios, for publicists and sales of publicity items, and records, players, guitars and inspired so many young people to go into the singing and music business. He caused more guitars to be sold when he used one, than any other artist of his time and before his time. He even helped sell clothing, guys wanted to dress like he did and women wanted their men to look that way too. And they wanted to look good enough to catch Elvis' eye- he was a walking money machine for many people and businesses. He still sells things... I think it's great. Elvis was very aware that he had been "used" and he was okay with much of it, but he was not pleased or happy with his acting career...he never got to make that great film... Yet he was one of the most attractive people ever put on film in any year. He hated to hear that...he didn't want to be known for his "looks" which he felt weren't anything so special if you looked close you'd see the flaws...uh-huh. He truly was hard on himself, critical and harsh a good part of the time. Other times he knew he looked good and flaunted it- on stage mainly. He was a man of many sides...in that way. Showmanship was his in abundance.
wjh

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:02 pm 
:D I Wish I could have Looked into the Face, And Kiss Those Lips of the Many Faces and Side's to Elvis! :love:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:33 pm 
Site Admin

I have watched some of the documentary running about Michael and Elvis, comparing their careers, methods and etc:, performances and how they began etc: and of course they go into the sadness of their last years. It is kind of easy to see how much Michael studied Elvis' moves and how he learned from his experiences and stage presence. He of course, had lots of experience as a child working with his brothers which Elvis didn't have, but Michael did watch and learn, and came up with his own unique style just as Elvis had done. Both were fantastic performers in their own ways, and both were very introvert off stage, shy and quiet among strangers etc: and liked to have fun with friends and play like kids in every way they could, such as Elvis putting a saddle on his tractor and trying to buck off the one in the saddle... what fun???? Anyway, Elvis loved ridding roller coasters, bumper cars and whatever was fun in those days...he just didn't have it set up at Graceland though he had what he wanted there anyway. He mentioned when Lisa was little of wanting to buy a real merry go round and put it up at Graceland for her to enjoy any time she wanted to. I kind of think that his daddy would have nixed that idea - too much money etc: on foolishness.
Anyway Elvis took her to "Liberty Land" (I think that was the name of that amusement park-been a while since that came up) and rode things with her until they were both nearly dizzy and sick...he said she'd ride as long as he did and he admitted he was beginning to get dizzy first!
wjh

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:05 pm 
:lol: Lord The Fun Things That Man Could Come Up with, Know Wonder I have Heard Lisa say that When her Daddy Died it Ruined her Child Hood. I know this Week as to be Very Hard on Lisa, and I well be Praying for Her, and For You Wanda because I knew it well be Rough on you To. I have been Overly Emotional Myself this Week, but I'm just Listening to Everything I have that Elvis Sang and Watching every Movie and Concert I have. :( :love:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:41 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

I believe I read in a book that Elvis deeply resented the fact that his movies financed what he called real movies. I think had he been allowed to actually make a movie with some grit that he would have won an Oscar. Elvis had so many facets that there really waasn't much he would not do or try to do.
The people around him knew Elvis singing sold and they added a "script" to go with his amazing voice and ability to move "his way."
Now though he is singing and if I am in the Book of Life I would be so honored to meet him.
He was sent here for a reason and I will believe that until the One above calls me home.
73smile

Herodotes Greek historian 484-432 BC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:18 pm 
Yes Elvis sure was Meant to be, and even though it was Hard to Live up to the Image that Elvis Struggled with. I think Elvis Handled the Image Part Very Well, and I Hope and Pray before I Leave this Ole Earth. That More People Come to Know the Person we all Know here at ELC, and just How it was The Lord that Indeed Sent Elvis! :hug:

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]