It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Study Elvis!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:28 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

The University of Amsterdam, Faculty American Studies, presents a bachelor course this fall on "Elvis Presley: from King to Contemporary Saint", starting September 10, 2010.

Goals are:

1) Introducing students to Elvis Presley as an icon of American culture
2) Focusing on the religious or spiritual meaning of American icons as Elvis in the US and in the Netherlands

Content:
In the course we will analyze the life of Elvis Presley (1935-1977) and his posthumous career. The rise of Elvis in the mid-fifties marked the start of pop music and youth culture in the United States and abroad. "Before Elvis, there was nothing" said John Lennon. Although Elvis was considered a threat to the moral and religious establishment when he started, he was quite religious himself. Elvis was the first of many idols to come. After his untimely death his musical inheritance and his mansion Graceland gained a sacred status. What is the religious or spiritual meaning of Elvis as a cultural phenomenon anno 2010 in the United States, Europe and especially the Netherlands?

Professor Ruud Janssens of American Studies has asked Fred Omvlee, chaplain and aspiring to obtain a PhD on the religious meaning of the cultural phenomenon Elvis Presley, to present this course. Literature that will be used in this course is:

Erika A. Doss, "Rock and Roll Pilgrims: Reflections on Ritual, Religiosity, and Race at Graceland" in Peter Jan Margry, Shrines and Pilgrimage in the Modern World (Amsterdam University Press 2008)
Erika A. Doss, Elvis Culture, Fans, Faith and Image, (University Press of Kansas 1999)
Peter Guralnick. Last Train to Memphis. The Rise of Elvis Presley. (London, Abacus, 1994-2003)
Peter Guralnick. Careless Love. The Unmaking of Elvis Presley. (Little, Brown and Company, 1999)
Kees 't Hart & John Schoorl, Wees niet wreed. Gedichten voor Elvis Presley, (Amsterdam, Nijgh & Van Ditmar 2008) (Dutch)
Greil Marcus,"Elvis: Presliad" in Mystery Train. Images of America in Rock 'n' Roll Music, (London, Faber and Faber, 5th edition 2000)
Gregory L. Reece, Elvis Religion, The cult of the King, ( London and New York, I.B. Tauris 2006)
Gilbert B. Rodman, Elvis after Elvis, the posthumous career of a living legend, (London and New York, Routledge 1996)
Rob van Scheers, Elvis in Nederland, (Meulenhoff 2010 or earlier editions) (Dutch)

Post subject: Re: Study Elvis!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:14 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

Great! wish I were a student once more!! :wink: Imagine (A) !! Wonder what Elvis thinks about that! And I'm sure he is AWARE of what is going on!!

"ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE IF YOU ONLY BELIEVE"

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:01 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

:hello: Sarena, I think Elvis would be very Amazed and wonder why they would be Studying Him? You know he never thought he was Worthy of any thing Much, so he would be Probably Scratching his Head. I to would Love to sit in on that Class Room, what do you think? :love:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:28 am 
Rainbow

Me too Rose Lyn :bouncy: it would be fascinating, we should hook them all up to ELC the discussions on the boards especially from Wanda are worthy of a study course in themselves.. :hello: :love:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:56 pm 
Site Admin

Hi, there has been a class or two out here in colleges and I can't recall the one from up in the NY area that also had a class a few years ago. They really get into it about how much influence he had on music, cultures and it's all good stuff, they don't dwell on the "dark side" of the business and so forth. Except for the one that explores the "inner personality" but even that one didn't make him out to be "nuts" or "strange". It would be interesting to attend those type classes-
but then I wouldn't be a good student...I'd have to keep the "lid on my fuming" probably when they turn to some information for their "facts". Jimmie says that's why my hair is falling out...too much fumming over things has killed off the hair roots....He might be right-ha! Actually it is just natural thinning for my age (darn it I'm old!) but I always had such thick hair it is not that noticeable because it is also naturally curly. I'm very lucky to have hair at all- I have a friend who is almost bald and she's only 57! It runs in their family she says. But they make
really beautiful wigs now, if you didn't know, no one else would notice. If I ever became totally bald, I think I'd just have it painted with some lovely
scene or something...hee-hee. Maybe with "eyes on the back of my head"- my daughter said I had them anyway...
wjh

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:14 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

:hello: :lol: Lord Wanda you did seem to have such Thick Hair in the Picture's I have seen of you ? I wonder what Elvis would say if he knew how thin your Hair has Gotten? I have heard that some Medicines can Thin Hair, but what Jimmie said could very will be the Cause of your Hair Thinning. So I had Best watch it myself when at Times I get so Dang Mad at what People say about Elvis, that my hair doesn't start thinning. :hug:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:47 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

This sounds really cool great to hear! :D :) :hug: :hello: :love:

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]