It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Dolly on Elvis
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:13 pm 
Site Admin

I saw "Biography" on Dolly Parton last night. I really like her as a person, singer and songwriter (esp as a person)!

She reminds me of Elvis alot, like with her humor ("Honey, it takes alot of money to look this cheap!")

She mentioned that Elvis was interested in recording her song, "I Will Always Love You". She said, "I was so excited...I LOVE Elvis!" Then said that the Col. called her telling her, yes, Elvis wanted to record the song, BUT he only recorded songs that he owned at least half of. Being the good business woman that she is, would not sell half of a song that was already a HIT, sung by her. She was a big star by then. It wouldn't have served her to do such a thing. So Elvis didn't get to record the song and Whitney Houston made another big hit out of it.

The Bio people showed some music critic saying, and I paraphrase here..."Well, Elvis wouldn't record any songs that he didn't half-own and that's why most of his music sucked." (he did use the word "sucked.")

He repeated...Elvis didn't want..Elvis this, Elvis that. I was about ready to put my fist through the screen! Image

Then they showed Dolly again and she said something like..."Well I don't know if Elvis really had anything to do with it..but this was the Col's. way." She kind of looked down a moment when she said it, and I got the strong feeling that she KNEW the situation there, or at least that Elvis probably never even heard WHY he didn't get the song! There was sadness and compassion in her voice and I could have kissed her for saying what she did. Unlike some we know, she made the effort on his behalf.

She then said that she cried for days over it. But there was never any sense that she even was bitter toward the Col. In my book, she's St. Dolly! Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:59 pm 
GOOD FOR DOLLY, YES SHE DOES REMIND ME OF ELVIS IN ALOT OF WAYS. SHE NEVER FORGOTTEN WHERE SHE CAME FROM EITHER, AND SHE AS PUT MONEY IN EAST TENNESSE, WHERE SHE GREW UP TO HELP THE PEOPLE THERE. DOLLYWOOD! I COULD KISS HER FOR STANDING UP FOR ELVIS, YOU GO DOLLY!! :wink: BARB!!

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ]