It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Elvis & The Elvispresleytarians video
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:03 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

Interesting, 8) awesome, :o shocking :roll: ... meaningful indeed. This I found today while searching in Internet in a completely different direction. Some of the oldies here have a video our Julie-Sharon Rose copied generously for us, which shows that TV program (and other scenes that Maia registered). I'm glad you all can view it directly now.

This is the link to the first of 4 videos:

http://youtu.be/ZJhQ8FRn8Bg

TEXT PRODUCED BY THE PERSON THAT PUT THE VIDEO IN YOUTUBE:

1997 documentary made for the 20th anniversary of Elvis' death finds Americans worshipping him almost as they would a deity.
"Elvis and The Presleytarians" will say the way he has been worshipped since his death has more in common with a messiah than a singer.

The programme finds fans who believe Elvis was sent to fulfil a biblical prophecy. The BBC unearthed a previously unheard recording supposedly of Elvis' voice claiming to be on a higher plane of being than ordinary people. At the Elvis Gospel Church the programme's maker, theologian Karen Armstrong, found preachers who use fan worship to bring Elvis fans to Jesus.

Ms Armstrong also explores how, for those who want to see them, there are connections between Jesus and Elvis: both died an ignominious death and in the Christian communion service the devout imitate the actions of their messiah, just as Elvis impersonators do, and Elvis impersonators can be seen as the high priests in this quasi-religion. "People have found the sacred in Elvis," says Ms Armstrong. A fan tells the programme: "I am convinced he is a prophecy that has come true and he will come on Judgement Day. It will be within ten years or less." Todd Slaughter, president of the UK Elvis Presley Fan Club, said the 1,000 British fans heading for Memphis this weekend to mark the anniversary of The King's death are unlikely to be lured into an Elvis-based Christian cult: "We Brits find it all a bit strange. There are many things they get up to in America that take it all too far. Our members who are going to visit Graceland will probably head for the pub afterwards rather than a church." Thousands are expected in Memphis on Saturday for the anniversary.

FEATURING:

LARRY GELLER, Elvis' Hairdresser & Spiritual Adviser
MAIA SHAMAYYIM- NARTOOMID, Co-Author "Blue Star Love: From Elvis' Heart To Yours"
CLIFF RICHARD
Dr. VERNON CHADWICK, University of Mississippi
KAREN ARMSTRONG, Religious Historian
MADELEINE WILSON, Elvis Gospel Ministry
MARY HANCOCK HINDS
DAVID WALL, Leeds University
PATTY CARROLL, Photographer
DAVID "JESSE" MOORE, Elvis Tribute Artist
TOMMY FOSTER
NORM JONES, Elvis Tribute Artist
Prof. GARY VIKAN, Author: "Saint Elvis"
ROBERT CAMPBELL
SIMEON NARTOOMID, Co-Author "Blue Star Love: From Elvis' Heart To Yours"
GEORGE KLEIN, Elvis' Friend Since Childhood
CRICKET COULTER, Superfan
ELVIS HERSELVIS, Elvis Tribute Artist
Dr. RICHARD MADDOCK, Psychologist

Elvis said: "LOVE is what it's all about." :*::*: Now I know it's true.

Post subject: Re: Elvis & The Elvispresleytarians video
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:35 pm 
Site Admin

Yes he was special, and had a very strong charismatic attraction to bring people around him, he inspired love and devotion, he tried to live a life that was not offensive as he put it "to God, my family and my fans" and he practiced as well as he could, when he could, what Jesus told us to do. Mainly, love one another, unconditionally and help our fellow man...he surely over did that in some instances. But he would be mortified that anyone would compare him to Jesus, the Christ...even though he tried to emulate his teachings in his every day life. He would be horrified that people would 'worship' him, because he wasn't "no kind of king" and had done nothing to be worthy as he put it "to walk in his shoes" (Jesus') shoes. I kind of think some people take it a bit far in that sense, but Elvis would be thrilled that his gospels and his efforts to "show the way" were
of benefit and that people were turning to Jesus for comfort and guidance. He would be so excited as to be breathlessly exuberant and probably stammer his head off if he wasn't shouting praises to his Lord Jesus for letting him be a guide for people to find the "way to glory". Elvis was simple in his beliefs, he looked, read, studied and questioned his way through life, and he went to the Bible to verify what he felt and thought of it all. But he was not even close
to being a "Jesus" and he knew that too, he prayed every day and said he
hoped that God was not offended when he "slipped now an' then" because he said, "It's impossible to live a truly pure life and be just mortal man, and I am that."
It's great that there are people who have seen "the light" that Elvis tried to shine in this world... I'm proud of him, "mortal man" or not!
wjh

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:35 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

I will Say that I think Elvis would be Feeling a Little Hurt, if he saw and read this. Because he Never Thought of Himself in any way Special Especially if he knew that People had Started Church's to Worship Him. :( Elvis would say so Many Times, I'm not any Better then Any Body Else and that he Wasn't Any Kind of King.I sometimes have Wondered if Elvis could have been a Prophet, but Never in Any Way Jesus. :(

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:01 pm 
Rainbow

Hi Everyone. Thank you for posting this link, the videos are really fascinating. The most fascinating of all was the end of part 3 where the narrator says that Elvis only shared his spiritual side with Larry Geller and a few close intimate friends sometimes in long phone conversations. Then we hear a part of a tape of Elvis talking about his yearning for contact with other spiritual minded people whom he can share his perceptions, he talks about being on steps either 6 or 7 of the spiritual ladder and how others lower down on steps 234 find it difficult to understand him but those on step1 find his views terrifying. The narrator says this has never been heard on air before. What I am feeling is that must be one of Wanda's tape recordings. Elvis sounds quite emotional and for the first time we feel like we can hear what Wanda heard in her phone calls with him. Maybe you can tell us Wanda, but it is quite extraordinary to hear Elvis talk in a way that before we could only imagine :love:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:46 am 
Site Admin

Hello Whitebud and all,

I was not able to hear but bits and pieces of the 2nd and didn't hear any thing being said by Elvis- I can see the video part of the time, and hear some guy talking here and there and then it just all freezes up except for the video pictures still working.
Which section is the one you are asking about?
I am letting it all download, maybe then I will be able to hear everything in line; will get back to it when it's finished loading. Some parts of what I've seen in the video I've seen before but not in line as this appears to be. I have never heard of any tapes I have being released anywhere though, sooo will have to hear it to know for sure. There were a few little sections used in spiritual ways but not for release to the public...right now, I can't say one way or the other what is on these. There are a lot of "emma-tators" as Elvis jokingly said of his "rivals" doing him when he was alive. He got a real kick out of it all.
Love to all,
wjh

Post date: I finally managed to hear part 4; and it has been really "cleaned" up to be understood; the conversation wherein he talked about his spiritual interests and desire to do more, to reach people spiritually I had was hard to hear and understand due to the noises in the background, the actual phone noises and God only knows what was going on at his house as it was always under construction and he had recordings playing etc and sometimes the phone connection its self was bad just as sometimes cell phone calls can be hard to understand. Elvis did long to be more than "jus' a singer", I wish he had been able to fulfill what he believed was his purpose for being here before he died. He so wanted to do gospel concerts, to speak to people about Jesus and give them the "fire of hope" in their hearts. I often thought when he spoke of such things that his words were almost being "torn from his heart" and his sincerity so strong it could be "felt" coming through the telephone wires.

To review the 4 parts with an open mind and subjectivity, it's pretty interesting, expresses the love people have for him in various ways, makes one
stop and think back and gives a whole new view of what Elvis was when he was here among us. I think he would get a kick from the lighter parts and be
moved by the sincerity of his fans and the people who "were there" when he was. I give it a B+ and recommend it to anyone who can be "open minded" and
looking for more about the man behind the image he created on stage.
wjh

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:42 pm 
Rainbow

Hi Wanda,
I have posted the video with Elvis' speaking on my Facebook page so you can check it out there to see if you can hear it. :love:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:25 pm 
Site Admin

Hi, I can hear it now that I downloaded the whole part and figured out how to stop the overlapping of the other sections. As I said in the bottom paragraph of my earlier reply, it has been very well cleaned up so the words can be heard...it's been a long time since I have heard those comments, but he was very sincere in his desires to do "more than I have" as he put it. These 4 parts and this whole piece has been available for years, and out there I guess, funny that it is turning up on line and noticed "now"? Maybe it's getting to be the right time?
Thanks for posting it,
wjh

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]