It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Elvis Is Everywhere
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:09 pm 
Flame

Elvis Is Everywhere -- Still: Michael Sigman is the son of Carl Sigman who composed the English lyrics for 'What Now My Love', here he explains why Elvis is still everywhere for him....

- I never met Elvis, but sometimes it seems that the sentiment in Mojo Nixon's anthem -- "Elvis is everywhere / Elvis is everything / Elvis is everybody / Elvis is still the King" -- remains as true as ever.

Without Elvis, my stunningly fleeting screen career would have been unthinkable. The TV coverage of Elvis's famous "gold belt buckle" June 1972 press conference - prior to his first-ever live concerts in New York - includes a few nanoseconds of me at age 22 covering the event for the music magazine Record World. My colleague Gregg Geller, two seats to my left, recalls that Colonel Parker, ever the entrepreneur,
sold pencils at the confab.

David McGee, an Elvis fanatic and another erstwhile Record World comrade, got
hitched at one a while back in true Elvis fashion. His wedding vows featured such sentiments as "Do you, Mary, promise not to treat David like a houn' dog?" and
"David, you don't be cruel, okay?"

David captured the heartbreak so many felt when Elvis died in 1977 when he wrote in Record World, "In Elvis, I found someone to believe in; in rock and roll, as I learned it from him, I found a way of life that I wouldn't swap for any amount of money, because it was, and is, endlessly rewarding and fulfilling. It's only natural that I feel a certain hollowness inside of me now. A certain hollowness? I feel as if my guts had been ripped out."

Elvis's vast legacy also embraces the many Elvises who followed, including Elvis Crespo, Elvis Mitchell, Elvis Duran and, of course, Elvis Costello.

My friend Will's dad got his Elvises mixed up when he commanded Will to turn down the volume on Elvis Costello's "Armed Forces." Will told his dad it was
Elvis (as if that were an explanation); his dad considered that possibility for a moment and asked, "Is this what killed him?"

Speaking of dads and Elvises, my dad didn't like Elvis Presley one bit. Dad, a crafter of pop songs in the Tin Pan Alley tradition, saw Elvis as an existential threat to his career. He did like it when his co-composed Sigman/Becaud tune "What Now My Love" became a staple of the Elvis's live show and was recorded for posterity on the "Aloha from Hawaii" album. When a golf partner asked Dad to name some of his tunes and he mentioned "What Now My Love," the clueless guy said, "You didn't write that -- Elvis did."

Proof that Elvis is still everywhere arrived in my mailbox just after Christmas in the form "Elvis -- Prince From Another Planet," a new boxed set commemorating the 40th Anniversary of the Madison Square Garden performances. This gift from David Stein, an old friend who worked at the firm that promoted those shows, includes a DVD with rare footage of the pre-concert press conference. Right after the King unleashes the buckle seen round the world, my (and Gregg's) split second of TV time -- and, it seems, the four decades since -- arrives and vanishes in an instant.

(See original full-length article here)
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michael-s ... 67976.html

Listen to the hilarious 'Elvis is Everywhere' here on YouTube "Who built the pyramids? ELVIS! Who built Stonehenge? ELVIS!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaD5mAC3P2s

(News, Source;HuffPost/ElvisInfoNet)

Post subject: Re: Elvis Is Everywhere
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:44 pm 
Site Admin

This is very funny and also enlightening in lots of ways! It is amazing even to me,
how popular Elvis is today, even in humor and satire and put downs of course. He
thought he would be forgotten...like all his "idols" in music seemed to have just
"disappeared, but I got records". And he certainly did-what a collection of mixed artists and styles! Only part of his collection was shown at Graceland several years back...there wasn't room for them all.
Thanks Liliane for this enjoyable piece!
Love to all,
wjh

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:16 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

Hahahaha... that Monjo Nixon Elvis song...! Yes, funny, but in many aspects, TRUE.

I share the notion that a couple of generations somehow have Elvis under our skin, no matter if we were/are fans or not. The cultural explosion that Elvis meant was so huge, that particles of his presence hit everywhere around the world. That wave is still going, aided by the EPE interest and efforts for its continuity, which would not work if Elvis would not had been the one he was, of course...

Elvis said: "LOVE is what it's all about." :*::*: Now I know it's true.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:19 am 
Sun Dial

:hello: I would Love to Hear want Elvis would say, if he could see How He didn't have to Fear, about being For Gotten. :D But it is also Sad that Elvis couldn't have been has Popular when he Walked this Old Earth, has he is Now. :( :hug:

Without you I am nothing an could never be so bold. The times we've shared, the laughter and the tears. Priceless memories, treasures all. How could I ever fail? With you I don't fear that at all. Elvis Presley!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]