It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Phil Spector talking about Elvis
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:19 pm 
Flame

Phil Spector talking about Elvis: Rolling Stone magazine featured an interview with the great producer Phil Spector in the November 1, 1969 issue. It was conducted by Jann Wenner for the magazine in April 1969. The interview features Spector's famous quote about how "sensational" Elvis was. He also makes some interesting comments about Col Parker.

Q. What did you think of Elvis' (NBC Comeback) television show?
Spector: They ruined it; you should have seen it before they edited it. I didn't see the final version. What was originally done was sensational. How it ended up, I can't tell you. I know they cut out three scenes that were unbelievable. I mean they cut out everything that was Elvis, really Elvis. They destroyed a lot of it, so I can't tell you how the final version was. But I think he's a sensation on stage.

Q. Do you think he's gonna come back?
Spector: Yeah, he's got a hit now. I don't know what it is, but it's a hit. Oh, he should man. He is never gonna die. Somebody ought to cut an album of him singin' the blues. You know, there's a strong belief—and judging from what I saw and heard at NBC, I believed it - that when he goes into a room with Colonel Parker, he's one way, and when he comes out, he's another way. You know, it's possible Colonel Parker hypnotises him. That's the truth, too, and I can tell you six or seven people who believe it, too, who are not jive ass people. I mean, he actually changes. He'll tell you "Yes, yes, yes," and then he'll go in that room and when he comes out it's "No, no, no." Now, nobody can con you like that. I wonder about that.

Q. What has Elvis got that has survived the worst recording career direction in history?
Spector: He's a great singer. Gosh, Elvis is so great. You have no idea how great he is, really, you don't. You have absolutely no comprehension—it's absolutely impossible. I can't tell you why he's so great, but he is. He's sensational. He can do anything with his voice. Whether he will or not is something else. He and Dylan I would like to record. Elvis can make some masterful records and can do anything. He can sing any way you want him to, any way you tell him.

EIN Note: A large number of Phil Spector's key musicians such as Tommy Tedesco, Mike Deasy, Larry Knechtel, Billy Strange, Darlene Love and Hal Blaine were all involved in Elvis' studio sessions, particularly on the NBC TV special.
With thanks to TJ from the FECC website

(News, Source;FECC/ElvisInfoNet)

Post subject: Re: Phil Spector talking about Elvis
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:58 pm 
Sun Dial

:hello: Liliane this is a Very Good Article, but I have to Disagree with want Phil Spector said about the 68 Special being Awful. I Thought the Come Back Special was very Much Elvis and Truly Fantastic! :love:

Without you I am nothing an could never be so bold. The times we've shared, the laughter and the tears. Priceless memories, treasures all. How could I ever fail? With you I don't fear that at all. Elvis Presley!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:27 pm 
Site Admin

Apparently there were many parts of that special that did NOT get into the final production. Mainly because the Col. was upset that Elvis was "giving him lip service and then doing what he thought was better advice from Steve Binder. Elvis even complained about the show and what was used instead of what was best...so I would agree, that even though the audience thought
it was a great show, and it WAS a great show considering Elvis had NEVER done such a thing before...his fans were delighted, his critics silenced some what and it got very high ratings. It is still one people talk about...that says a lot right there. I wish we could have seen what got cut out, I'm sure it was great because Elvis was excited and he did things no one else ever did. I know they would not show the "Bordello" section at first...they thought it was too "sexually explicit"????? I guess back then maybe so...however the way those girls were made up was scarey...not sexy! That was intentional I am
sure...and Elvis got away with doing those scenes that the Col was afraid to
have seen???? Well, his views were not always the best...as we suspected for all those years, and now we know. We can only imagine what we might have seen had Elvis been the one doing the choosing... He knew
what worked well for his talents... too bad it wasn't appreciated as much
as it ought to have been. Thank heaven for Steve Binder's input and
Elvis' faith in his suggestions.
thanks for posting the piece... I agree with Phil.
wjh

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:01 pm 
Flame

Elvis Black Leather Sit-down show June 27, 1968 No. 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEtiWkv4ID0

Elvis Black Leather Sit-down show June 27, 1978 No. 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=773vZPJvVlc

Elvis Black Leather Stand-up show June 29, 1968 No. 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPHn0XgKl_o

Elvis Black Leather Stand-up show June29, 1968 No. 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7V96VJKu ... ults_video

This's the Elvis comeback '68 that the world see in december 3, 1969
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfiNVvb6osw

This's the Elvis comeback special edition of 1:29PM
Including all the numbers who was cut from the original special.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fipT2RRvdLY

Last edited by Liliane on Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:11 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for posting the links... however from what I have heard and what E.
said way back there in time, it still isn't the scenes that hit the cutting room floor...never to be seen again. That is probably what was tossed out...from the original- they always go through and whittle it all down for one reason or another- and to make it fit the time and frame space. As for the bordello
scene, those girls were not really sexy...they had them made up so much they were scarey.... Even Elvis was a bit unsettled that they had done them
up so "much" was how he put it. I guess it was to make the blond "angel" one look really "angelic"? It worked. Huge difference in make up jobs!
It would have been really nice if they had just let Elvis do his job the way only he could.
wjh

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]