It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Eddie Bond, Elvis Contemporary, Dies at 79
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:01 pm 
Flame

Eddie Bond, Elvis Contemporary, Dies at 79: Eddie Bond, a rockabilly singer and radio host who once told a teenage Elvis Presley that he would be better off driving a truck than trying to make it in music, died on Wednesday at his home in Bolivar, Tenn. He was 79.

Mr. Bond was almost 21 and already established on the music scene in Memphis when a 16-year-old fellow band member, Ronnie Smith, invited Presley to audition to sing with the group in May 1954 at the Hi Hat Club on South Third Street. Presley, 19, drinking a Coke with his girlfriend, Dixie Locke, waited nervously to go on.

Peter Guralnick wrote in 'Last Train to Memphis'. "Bond came over to the table to say hello. He asked Elvis what he did for a living, and Elvis said he drove a truck for Crown Electric, but Dixie was embarrassed for him because he couldn’t stop drumming his fingers on the table."

Presley soon took the stage and sang two songs, accompanying himself on acoustic guitar. Afterward, he and Bond spoke out of earshot of others. Presley did not get the gig, though the following year he and Mr. Bond briefly toured together, along with Johnny Cash and others.

A few years later, Mr. Bond told a friend about the night at the Hi Hat. He said he had told Presley to stick with his day job, "because you’re never going to make it as a singer."

Mr. Bond told many people that he was simply conveying to Presley the assessment of the club owners, but the conversation apparently stuck with the future king of rock ’n’ roll.

In 1957, as Presley was about to film "Jailhouse Rock," he told a friend that Mr. Bond "broke my heart." Traveling by train to Hollywood, he said, "I wonder what Eddie Bond thinks now."

Eddie James Bond was born on July 1, 1933, in Memphis. He was playing in bands by the time he was 16; after serving in the Navy, he continued making and recording music in Memphis. He also hosted radio programs and owned nightclubs.

Mr. Bond never had a major hit as a singer, but he wrote many songs that were popular locally, including several about Buford Pusser, the former sheriff of McNairy County, Tenn., whose efforts fighting crime inspired the 1973 movie "Walking Tall." Mr. Pusser died in 1974. That year, Mr. Bond ran unsuccessfully for sheriff of Shelby County, which includes Memphis.

(News, Source;ElvisInfoNet)

Post subject: Re: Eddie Bond, Elvis Contemporary, Dies at 79
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:14 pm 
Sun Dial

:hello: I would say that Mr. Bond was Probably Embarrassed for want he told Elvis, Elvis became So Famous. :love:

Last edited by Barb on Tue May 28, 2013 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Without you I am nothing an could never be so bold. The times we've shared, the laughter and the tears. Priceless memories, treasures all. How could I ever fail? With you I don't fear that at all. Elvis Presley!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:42 pm 
Flame

to err is human....Even Elvis was hurt deeply about this statement, I'm sure he forgive and forget the words.. :hello:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:15 pm 
Site Admin

Actually he did not forget, nor did he ever like the guy afterward. It cut him to the quick to have someone he thought was "smarter than he" tell him he was no good etc... and there were a couple of people he never "got over" who did it. One being the guy at the Grand Old Opera House when he went there for an audition or whatever it was... He was hurt, and cried said his cousin who was with him. Elvis was funny, he wore a green suit, I mean a GREEN suit! His cousin said he left it in a filling station bathroom he was so upset, he didn't want that suit to keep reminding him I guess.
And he did his thing and then the guy told him he didn't have what it takes in so many words. Elvis told me the audience was a little stunned at first but then
they warmed up some...he thought he went over okay considering he was a nervous wreck about being there. But that guy and he'd say "an' he knows who he is" would have to "kiss my ass" if he ever wants me back!" And he
was doing shows in Vegas when he said that...nope, he did not forget nor did he forgive. Not when it came to his efforts to "make it in the business"...
He did say that all the bad comments and press just made him work harder
and be more determined to prove them wrong. It worked.
wjh
I forgot to add that when he told me he'd have to kiss his etc; I said, well, there are probably several people from those days who'd be really thrilled to do that very thing." He howled with laughter over that thought and agreed that was probably true since he got a lot of "turn downs" along the way.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 6:10 pm 
Sun Dial

:hello: Elvis Got His Feeling Hurt Easy, and mine would have been to I think want those people said to Elvis was just To Harsh. I wouldn't have ever For Gotten Either. :hug:

Without you I am nothing an could never be so bold. The times we've shared, the laughter and the tears. Priceless memories, treasures all. How could I ever fail? With you I don't fear that at all. Elvis Presley!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]