It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Maia's Reviews of Bios on Elvis - August 16th, 2006
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:08 pm 
Site Admin

August 16th - Elvis documentaries:

The "Elvis in Hollywood" one began with showing all the people that were going to be talking...mostly the MM - like Lamar Fike, etc. Then it started out with drugs, drugs and more drugs and then Elvis and "wild sex." It was about one minute into a two hour show. I TURNED IT OFF.

My review is as follows:

Biography (on Biography channel) was GREAT! It was June Juanico, Elvis' 1950's girlfriend discussing the young Elvis she knew and their relationship. Nothing "sticky" or anything like that. June is really a neat lady - I wish he had married her!

Wonderful candid film of him fishing on a boat - his mother bringing him a banana and peanut butter samwhich and holding his fishing rod for him (with her eye on HIM all the time) while he ate it. Elvis singing and clapping with his friends and family on the boat (can't hear it - all silent).

There were some snatches of Elvis' voice in those days talking about this and that, which I hadn't heard before.

I loved it when June said, "The Col. gave me some really dirty looks, but being the snake that he was, I just SMILED at him!"

LIKE I SAID, I LIKE JUNE! Image

She said that the Col. told Elvis to put some distance between him and her, and Elvis told her this - that he had to slow down a bit in the relationship because the Col. said so. Elvis would complain about the Col's decisions about his career to June and she would tell him, "Just TELL him how you feel!" but he couldn't do it.

So then when Elvis told June to meet him at the train and he came to her all happy saying, come home with me for awhile she said, "No Elvis, I am engaged to be married." He just looked at her, stunned. She said that was the end of it.

She was not at all bitter, saying three people ended the relationship - the Col., Elvis and herself. She said she was young, bull-headed and didn't want to take 2nd place in a man's life.

She laughed good-natured alot and was really "together" about the whole thing.

The Lisa bio was DULL! Image

Rick Stanley did much of the talking - nothing bad, just that he made himself out to be Pris and Lisa's confident. If he every was, HE CERTAINLY ISN'T NOW! Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:24 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

I had to laugh about your very fitting EMOTICON, Maia, the first one.

I also enjoyed what you told about June! I didn't read her book. Would you or anyone else recommend it for reading?

On the German News yesterday were some really good clips from the 68 Comeback DVDs. Then they showed a tiny bit from "American Trilogy" from the ALOHA DVD and the comment about that one was "...there he already had become a little bit FAT and wore his white baby-suits..." (tried to translate it somehow from German). That's when I really became angry :evil:
The day before I had read Wanda's words that she thought Elvis was really THIN for that show and she is right as you all know.

(BUT I have found that some camera angles weren't in favour of Elvis )

"ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE IF YOU ONLY BELIEVE"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:45 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

I liked June as well. I read her book & have the dvd as well & enjoyed them both. I thought she would have made him a good wife. But the Colonel absolutely did not want Elvis getting married in the 50's for fear it would upset his fans. And at that point in time, Elvis was so absolutely trusting of the Colonel that he couldn't allow himself to follow his own heart.

The book's title is "Elvis - in the Twilight of Memory" and the dvd is "Elvis & June, a Love Story". For some reason the book's title makes me cry, but the book itself is very enjoyable, tho' the ending is sad. The dvd has some rare footage and you can see just what a hyper person Elvis was, so fidgety. Really worth getting. It's not long, but you get to see Elvis just being himself.

One thing I thought curious in the book are the parts having to do with Nick Adams. I get the impression that Nick was on Colonel Parker's payroll as he appeared to be trying to stir up trouble between Elvis & June, tho' June could see thru' Nick. She's careful to not come out and say he was on Parker's payroll, but you can tell she is smart & very observant. And all she had to do was lay out the facts and let the reader draw their own conclusions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:43 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

Thank you, Laurie, for the information about the book and DVD!! :D

"ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE IF YOU ONLY BELIEVE"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:34 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

Yesterday I missed the news, due the particular circunstances (hospital, etc.), but at night Antonio called me: "Come, Elvis in TV!" I rushed but got just a glimpse of the candle march. Don't know what was said. But at least, Elvis was remembered here in Spain too.

Elvis said: "LOVE is what it's all about." :*::*: Now I know it's true.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]