It is currently Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 3 of 5 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: pictures
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:56 am 
Site Admin

It was all of those things and much more-the personal damage and humilation must have really got to him at times-as he said jokingly though he realized it was all so true- "I'm too vain..." You know, he said his mother used to hold him up in front of a mirror and tell him how handsome, wonderful he looked and that he was going to grow up to be even better looking, able to do anything he wanted to do, better than anyone else and he would be very handsome-" And he said kind of quietly and matter of factly, "I still do that-look in the mirror and tell my self what I need to know so I can be who I am." Self hypnosis it would seem- he was so insecure I think she was doing that to build up her shy little boy-and it helped him all his life to over come some of that.wjh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:22 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

Boy, she was sooo right.

He became a very beautiful man :wink:

So from what I've read here, he "knew" he was that handsome didn't he :)

It must have been painful for him to see himself in the mirror in the last couple of months. He didn't look good. It is such a shame he was so ill at the end of his life.

ELVIS - Did you ever know you were my hero

Post subject: handsome
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:30 am 
Site Admin

He knew but he didn't realize the effect it really had- like all people, he found fault with his looks-wasn't satisfied that he could not be better. He thought his crooked smile was ugly-!! and "deformed" not perfect. He thought his mouth was too small-would have liked to had more "space" so he could sing better-have more volume and etc; and that his nose was crooked??? I could never see that- I think he meant when he was younger he hadn't matured and his nose was not perfect because he was still growing until he turned 23-24 and began to mature into adulthood...as most men do. And it's said he had his nose straightened-the "Bump" on the bridge leveled off. He said all he had done was inside and it was to open his nostirls wider for more air and that it was scar tissue from when he was little on one side that was blocking his breathing some what and it was just minor and done in the office-he bled a little and had to stay sitting up some with packing in his nose but it was just a few days down time and done in 1956 and he never had cosmetic surgery on his nose. Wasn't no need for that-he said. Sure wasn't either! His nose was perfect for his face. He said he had his teeth capped early-to make his smile look good. One front tooth was chipped and jagged so they did them both and matched them. He knew he looked good to women-and he was told somuch by men and women, he knew but he didn't think he was all that special. He liked the way the guy on Hawaii Five O looked and talked - would have liked to appear more "rugged instead of so gawd damn pretty!"
He always said that with such disgust. wjh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:20 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

:lol:

ELVIS - Did you ever know you were my hero

Post subject: perfectionest Elvis
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:09 pm 
Site Admin

He was that for sure! And more so about himself when he was going out to his public or having someone not family/living with him etc; going to see him. Darn funny at times. But having had to look that way since still a teenager and one with skin problems too-well, it was ingrained into him by many in charge, I'm certain. To have people who were his bosses like producers who put up money for his films, tell him he looked "fat" or something when he wasn't all that heavy-I mean 5 or so pounds! And then they seemed to stick him in the kind of clothing that actcentuated any weight he might have every time too, sometimes I think it was on purpose. To expect him to be rail thin and to look his best when the scripts were so awful sometimes-well, HE was selling the film so they picked on every little thing. And he tried but he just couldn't keep on being upbeat and etc; over those movies. He had integrity and they were awful for the most part-considering what he had wanted to do since first coming to Hollywood. He had such high hopes and then they were slowly eaten away by greed-that's all it was-they sold and they could make them cheap. Kinda of like our Rumsfield guy-on the cheap- and he got his way so here we are, bleeding to death little by little trying to make up for his stupidity. Oh, sorry-just saw the news... anyway, poor Elvis-and wonderful Elvis he
continued to do his best. He was very ill on that last tour- bleeding from his colon, his eyes were severely hurting him, couldn't see very well and having trouble keeping things to gether-but doing the best he could at the time. I don't think he realized quite what people who didn't know the problems would think-he just knew he had to do it-and he did. He started out looking good-but by the time those and that picture was taken, he was pretty well beaten down and going on the stuff his doctors kept giving him to get him out there. He said he had gotten off nearly everything-except when working-and he meant then that he took stimulants but they were not strong ones-and he wasn't hooked on them-he only did it to perform- and he said "or else I couldn't do it- just don't have the steam in me any more". I don't fault him for that- not at all- If it were me, I'd do it too - I used to have headaches so bad that had I known how to do it, I would have gone on the street for something to make it go away! For days I couldn't do anything, think or walk straight-it hurt so badly and the doctors didn't find anything wrong-just migraines etc;-and nothing they gave me worked. Until I found out that asprin/codiene would do the job-if I could just go to sleep, I'd wake up okay-but with an "empty head" and be talking funny, backward kind of and not get all the sentence out right. It wore off in 24 hours and I'd be fine until the next time. So I kind of understand how he felt-he had those headaches "cluster ones" , his colon cramping and everything he ate causing problems, his eyes going crazy and hurting with the thought of going blind at any time staring him in the face, wearing out his body, emotions and still he had to "look good" for he was the "machine" that brought in the money for the good of his people and the businesses that "hired" him.
Machines, even human ones need maintenance and care- Elvis wasn't getting it-he was just patched together and sent out to work. Maybe it was his fault-but people had "taken care of him" all his life- he trusted that-and after all he was only 40 years old when it all "fell apart"-
he said one time when asked how he stayed looking so good-he didn't know, probably he'd fall apart all at once.
It sort of happened that way. They say there are three things people have to do in life and if they fail at one they do okay, two it's rough, three and they usually don't make it. One is getting to adult hood and finding something to do. two is susceeding at what ever it is they found. three is finding a mate and making a go at marriage and family- Elvis didn't make it well through any of them. First career- it was great but he paid a high price and he lost his base-his mother. two he did well but he never "measured up" to his expectations,
Three-we all know that one. He in his mind and his ideals for his life, failed at them all. He didn't make it.
Maybe it's true... wjh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:31 pm 
Pharaoah

Janelle McComb of Tupelo, Mississippi was a good friend to Elvis and his family for many years. On several occasions Elvis asked her to lend her unique talents to record his feelings in verse. “The Priceless Gift”, a birthday poem for his daughter Lisa, was one of those occasions. Lisa’s copy is displayed at Graceland. Here, from its author is the story of how the poem was created:

In the latter part of ‘71, I was visiting Graceland. Lisa was pushing her baby buggy through the hall, and I said to Elvis, “Can you imagine? She is soon going to be four years old. What are you going to give her for her birthday?”

Elvis paused and said “I don’t know - she’s all we have - she is our most prized possession. I want Lisa to know what the important things in life are. Money is not important - it is fleeting and all this is just vanity.” He said “A lot has happened through the years. Do you remember, when we left Tupelo, all we had was a little trunk on top of the car.”

We talked and laughed for an hour or more reminiscing about his childhood, about his mother cooking, about how his grandmother wore an apron, and about the song “Precious Memories”, which was sung at his mother’s funeral. He said “Those early values that my parents taught me are still my values, and I want my child to know them.”

“Mrs. McComb,” Elvis said, (he always addressed me as “Mrs. McComb” when he was talking to me, but always autographed things to me as “Janelle”.) “do you think you could take your pen and write something for me to give my little girl to tell her what the real values of life are, because I may not always be around.”

“In other words,” I said, “you want to give her ‘the priceless gift’.”

He said “That’s right, and be sure to sign it ‘Daddy’.”

I said “Well, Elvis, I’ll try.”

I went home and wrote the poem. When I brought it back to Elvis at Graceland, he was so touched and pleased when he read it, he ran up the stairs two at a time to hide it until Lisa’s birthday. When he came back down crying, I asked him to sign my copy of the poem. He signed it, then with his elbow attempted to wipe the tears off the paper and smeared his signature. He said “Oh, Mrs. McComb, I’ve ruined your copy.”

“No,” I said, “someday those teardrops will be just as priceless as this poem is to you.”

The Priceless Gift

Birthdays are always special
as your fourth one comes to you
and I wondered what I’d give you
Just anything wouldn’t do.

I thought of childish treasures
to hang upon your wall
Yet nothing seemed appropriate
or none I could recall.

Money seemed so cold and fleeting
Bought treasures go so fast
And I wanted a gift to please you
And one that would also last.

You know you’re sort of special
You are really all we’ve got
You’re Mama’s bit of heaven
And Daddy’s tiny tot.

I closed my eyes - the years rolled by
And I slowly found my way
To a shadowed corner in the attic
T’was a link to my yesterday.

I raised the lid to a frayed old trunk
And there a priceless treasure lay
A tattered apron with strings still tied
And I knew I heard her say -

“Son, I’m now just a precious memory
But don’t ever forget one thing
I always tried to guide your life
With these worn out apron strings.

They guided a man named Lincoln
As he steered the ship of State
It’s the only gift I gave you
That will never go out of date.

Apron strings changed the course of
History as great men felt their tug
They followed sons onto battle fields
Without the slightest shrug.

They guided both kings and beggars
Through harmony and strife
Son, you surely must have felt their tug
For how God has blessed your life.

I bowed my head and said a prayer
For I knew God had surely touched
A tattered old trunk so tucked away
And an apron that had meant so much.

So Lisa, I give you the “Priceless Gift”
That surpasses all other things
A whole lifetime of love for you
She tied in her apron strings.

Daddy

©1971 Janelle McComb

Post subject: Re: Gemini's
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:43 pm 
Peacock

maral wrote:
Wanda June Hill wrote:
I think she was born in the South? Not sure of that. Her birthday is in June...

cillas birthday is 24th of Maj. and she was born in New York.
love, maral

sory i gave the wrong date :oops: it is may 25th and i think Linda's is 27th. not sure.......
love, maral

Post subject: Mrs. McComb's verse
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:50 pm 
Site Admin

Wasn't she a wonderful poet! It has been a long long time since I heard about that poem and it was great to read it again and hear that story. She was a special lady, when everyone was knocking me/us for our book, and we were in Vegas at the big convention she came over and told me I had written such a beautiful book. I was so surprised I was tongued tied but I said thank you and about that time one of the mm guys came walking up and took hold of her arm and turned her to talk to her and walked away from me with her in toe. They didn't want her talking to me I surmised but I went by her booth when they were gone and it was just her and Charlie and one other guard, I think. I stopped purposely and thanked her again and thanked her for helping take care of Elvis for all those many years and she said it was her pleasure, she didn't take care of him but she tried to be his friend. I said well, thanks for that-he needed good friends. She looked at me very intently and said, yes he did, we (and she stressed that we as she looked straight into my eyes) were so fortunate to be living during his lifetime, he was my precious boy and a dear friend. I said he was to me also, and I was the luckiest woman in the world the day he entered my realm of life. She smiled and held out her hand to me and I took it and she said, We were both the luckiest women!" Charlie sat there saying nothing, but he was smiling and listening. I think that she had read our book some-there was one at Graceland and I also left one at Tupelo at his old home there. The ladies there took it and put it "in a place of honor" one of them said. But then maybe they didn't know about all the mm sayings or didn't believe it. Whatever, I was really pleased with Mrs. McComb's comments-all on her own and it was kind of like giving me a blessing... I wasn't going to back down to the mm guys-and they knew it pretty quick-so it turned into a "back stabbing" thing-chicken livers that they were. Mainly though, it was because they didn't know what I might know about them-and their activities on the road. And still keep playing it safe and sneaky when it comes to saying stuff about me not knowing Elvis, being "just a gate girl" and he didn't have anything to do with me, etc. etc. and yet they run like chickens and parrot away... it's funny- I have to laugh at their efforts. Always have. I learned that from Elvis..."won't hurt you if you laugh about it and just keep on goin' on
doin' what you know is right." A men to that one, buddy!
wjh

Post subject: birthdays
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:56 pm 
Site Admin

Funny how he'd pick a gemini on the rebound huh? But one that looked totally different. And was in personality traits that count I guess. Linda was interested in what he liked and she of course didn't know him as long in the early days but she stayed around for quite a while and I think he pushed her out-using his womanizing ways-to get her to go without it being him kicking her out etc:-he wanted her to choose and finally she did after he was such a "turkey" on purpose. She even let him see other women.... he was just rotten doing that but maybe it was the only thing he could come up with and make her choose to go on her own... because he was such a rat fink liar and dirty dog... uh-huh. He was during that time-but I guess in his mind, it was for her own good. ???
He was after a male and thought like one too...so could be it was all he could think of to do. Make her think he was so callous as to want his cake and eat it too? wjh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:23 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

Two questions here . . . Why did Elvis want Linda to leave him? And I've heard that toward the end of his life, he was forgetting some of the words to some songs. If true, was this due to the migraines you mentioned earlier?

Page 3 of 5 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next