It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: THE INTERVIEW - EXCERPTS FROM THE BEGINNING
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:24 pm 
Site Admin

[ Elvis asked me to come up with questions and act as the interviewer; he was doing this to help a friend who was taking a communications course in college. The questions became lengthy, Elvis opened up and the result far surpassed anything I had ever imagined, and I think it helped him understand that he could tell a good story-and should begin. In 1977 Elvis was telling friends he was interested in writing his own story and had chosen a title: "Through My Eyes". What a best seller that would have been! ]

Wanda: Now, you understand Elvis, people are going to hear this. If you say something you'd like to hear again, let me know and I'll play it back. This is just for his class and a few close friends to hear. The tapes will not be made public; I won't sell them or give up to anyone. Okay?"
Elvis: Jus' so I have a copy of every thing, including the finished piece.
Wanda: That's all; you don't want me to put it in writing or anything like that?
Elvis: Oh, I trust you.
Wanda: With your life...huh?

Elvis: What would you like to know? First off...hummmm. I don't sleep standin' up an'...brush my teeth with whatever toothpaste's in the hotel and...ah...ah...I always... sleep alone. (He laughs.) [He answered a question similar to this one at another time and said: "First off...eh...I don't sleep in pajamas...'n brush my teeth with whatever I can rip off from the hotel... 'n I always ...sleep alone!" And he snickered.] [Of course we know he liked to teasingly say the opposite of what he actually thought or did-just his sense of humor coming out.]
Wanda: Well, okay. Let's be serious! I mean it.
Elvis: But...you said, answer 'em anyway.... All right...all right...but that's no fun!
Wanda: Okay...Elvis...
Elvis: Yessss...
Wanda: When did you first realize that you had the potential to be a big star in the music industry, and that you were really going to get somewhere?
Elvis: Ah....uhhh...ah...suppose when I found out that people would pay me to sing.
Wanda: Could you elaborate on that a little bit?
Elvis: Well...uhh, how you want me to answer-we're bein' serious right?
Wanda: Yes, just try; answer like you would if you were not being taped-be yourself Elvis, you can do it. You do it every day...and you're talking to me, okay?
Elvis: That'll knock 'em right out of the trees! (Laughs) Lord...where do I begin? Been a long time baby...a while since then, ya know.
Wanda: Picture it in your mind-go back to the beginning-what you were thinking, you know? We don't have much time now, but we will later.

(Loud noises from several people could be heard and a male voice had just told him he had to leave soon. Elvis answered with, "Please close the door." I remember how kind and warm that request was made-definitely not an "order". On many occasions, when I thought he should be angry or at least irritated, Elvis spoke kindly and patiently to everyone-even those rudely and agressively interfering with his privacy and time.)

Elvis: Well. Okay. When...uhhh...when ah first thought of being uhhh....an entertainer...was well, most of my life I guess....but never dreamed for anything like...like this. Ah guess uhhh...the first time I realized there was money in it was...when ah went down and made that first...the first record...and uhh, it was..."My Happiness" 'n "That's When Your Heartaches Begin" 'n later, "I Love You Because". Momma liked that one; 'course she liked 'em all. (Soft chuckle) Went down couple of times, and recorded some others and then year later they called me in to uhhh see what we could cook up...couldn't quite get it then 'n Sam wanted this one song, eh, "Wasted Love"...but in the meantime I was trying...ah...did some playing with friends 'n hung out in some of the...eh...places where momma didn't want me bein', (Laughs). Used to go down to Beal Street 'n hang out, lots of clubs, music goin' ever' where 'n I liked listen' to the groups 'n others singing. Liked the way they looked 'n all that. Wasn't supposed to be down there 'n momma'd ask where I'd been 'un I'd say jus' listenin' to some music; 'n when it was gettin' late, I'd come home. 'n she'd smell my hair 'n my clothes 'n tell me, you been down there, don't you ever tell me no! (Laughs) Never told me I couldn't go...flat out...jus' said she didn't want me goin'.
Wanda: How old were you? (Silence; can almost hear him thinking.) Okay, that was good-just tell the story how you felt it back then, no one has to hear any of it Elvis-okay.
Elvis: Started goin' down there 'cause a friend of mine was workin' a job at a...eh...club, cleanin' 'n settin' up an' all. An' I loved the...the atmosphere, music an' singing, different but the same kinda. An' the people singin' it, loved watchin' an' listenin' to 'em all. Lotta blues 'n such-gospel mixed in too. An' the people, like bein' hypnotized with it. Guess they was mostly drinkin' but I wasn'...never did-don't like the way it makes me feel later...'n I get silly, too. (Laughs) Really. I was young...16...first time I went by myself I was 15, 'n went onaccount of a fella I heard on the radio, WHBQ. He's a colored fella singin' blues mostly 'n he was gonna be at a place down there. But I couldn't get in so jus' hung out in the alley hopin' to meet 'em. Didn't, but did meet some of the band an' got to talk to 'em. They was all commentin' on my hair 'cause it was longer an all that. Un one of 'em asked me if I was interested in bein' a musician 'cause I said I had a guitar 'n could play some. Un I said no really, jus' wantin' to sing in a group or somethin' like that. Un they told me to keep tryin' - you got the right attitude 'n looks kid. Made my day-'n whole week too! (Laughs) 'cept that time when I got home daddy was waitin' an' he told me I couldn't go down there late on account of it was dangerous 'n worrin' momma to death. So, after that, jus' picked the right time to do it. Off days ya know, like after the weekend an all. Safer then-less kniffin's an' fights goin' on. 'n too, momma was all time worryin' some bad woman was goin' to get her hand on me 'n she'd lose her son to an evil woman. (Laughs, snickering,) But never happened---jus' didn't let 'em see me 'n if they did told 'em I was too young 'n then, I could run pretty fast
if I had to. (Laughs)

(This is a short snippit-there are 100 pages of interview in the We Remember, Elvis 2006 edition: some 240 pages that includes the interview and pages of memories, mine, my daughter's, my husband's, and my father and other family members. Plus personal memories from other people who had the opportunity to talk with Elvis, meet him and had personal relationships with the man, as well as the entertainer. These people were everyday human beings, who had a chance to get to know the man as well as the entertainer and they tell their stories with love and respect, remembering him fondly, and missing him dearly. The book is available from Amazon.com. Please feel free to ask me any questions that you may have about the book and our relationship with Elvis. And welcome to ELC-please come back any time. We are a friendly bunch and we don't have any bickering or argumentive discussions among us. Every one is welcome to express their feelings and thoughts, and know that they will not be ridiculed or "jumped on".
Humor, good will and a warm heart that wishes to know more about the intelligent, funny and down to earth spiritual side of the man who will always be "the king"- is welcome here. wjh

Last edited by Wanda June Hill on Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:19 pm 
Site Admin

Thank you Sue, I thought for those who are coming and reading, it might give them a chance to get a book if they wanted one. Some people still don't know it's available now-they think in terms of the 1978 copy and can't get one of those...except for a high price off E-bay or Amazon. Anyway, thought I'd throw that up here in case there were anyone interested coming on to read things. wjh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:54 pm 
Site Admin

Rainbow Light wrote:
Excellent interview, Wanda! Thank you for sharing all this so openly and honestly with us here! Some of the things he says and the way Elvis puts them is great and really pretty funny! :lol: it's great to read that he felt like he could be open and be himself! :D :D

I agree 100% with everything you said here dear Sue-Lenora. :D A FANTASTIC interview Wanda and in reading it one could tell the complete ease Elvis felt in talking to you and with you. :D Thanks so much for sharing this with us. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:45 pm 
Site Admin

You are all quite welcome. It was Elvis who made me feel comfortable talking to him, once I got past the whole idea of him being who he was and realized that he was just like a young kid, one who was shy, timid in some ways about what he felt inside himself. And one who was lonely though he had lots of people around him. He himself couldn't figure out why he felt lonely when he had friends right there, eager to spend time with him. He said he got so he "felt kind of on the spot because they expected to have time alone and if he gave any one that then the others were as he put it "so jealous and spiteful" to each other and he felt like it was a "pack of dogs fighting over something one of them had, like a bone or something". I recall laughing because he said he sometimes felt like getting one of those big bags of doggie bones and tossing a few out the door now and then as if to appease them. He would never have let them know he thought that I imagine, but that's what he said. I wish I had that conversation on tape or written down- I recall laughing alot over it and so did he...he really cut loose with some lines and then laughed and giggled and ended up saying how badly it sounded, and that he loved them all equally, but couldn't get it across. He felt better after laughing and joking about it all. I guess that's what I was good for, a way to get it all off his chest and out on the line in the air so he could go back and handle whatever it was better. I think he did that with Suzy too, only she got the heavy stuff and I got the funny stuff which was fine with me! Loved to hear that muffled giggling snicker of his and his laugh when he just let it go now and then. wjh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:45 am 
Site Admin

Wanda June Hill wrote:
......... He felt better after laughing and joking about it all. I guess that's what I was good for, a way to get it all off his chest and out on the line in the air so he could go back and handle whatever it was better.

Dearest Wanda I am most certain that you did help him out so very much in this aspect. :D You and your wonderful family were good for him in so many ways and I know he was good for all of you too. :D God most certainly knew what he was doing the day that glob of make-up was so teasingly placed all over your hand. :wink: :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:13 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

MaryInTheMorning wrote:
Wanda June Hill wrote:
......... He felt better after laughing and joking about it all. I guess that's what I was good for, a way to get it all off his chest and out on the line in the air so he could go back and handle whatever it was better.

Dearest Wanda I am most certain that you did help him out so very much in this aspect. :D You and your wonderful family were good for him in so many ways and I know he was good for all of you too. :D God most certainly knew what he was doing the day that glob of make-up was so teasingly placed all over your hand. :wink: :D

RIGHT ON, MARI! Image

I'm sure you were oh so healthy to Elvis, Wanda...! (As much as he was probably to you...! ) :wink:

Elvis said: "LOVE is what it's all about." :*::*: Now I know it's true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:37 pm 
Site Admin

Rainbow Light wrote:
Absolutely 100% perfectly agreed, ladies! :D

Quote:
I got the funny stuff which was fine with me! Loved to hear that muffled giggling snicker of his and his laugh when he just let it go now and then. wjh

Thanks for sharing as always, Wanda! How great that you were there to share these times and help Elvis to laugh, snicker and just to know he could be himself with you, that's so valuable and precious! Means so much to us here at the forum too! :D :D

AMEN!! :D It most certainly does! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:13 pm 
Site Admin

Bringing this back for new readers and those who might have missed it earlier in the year. There will not be "interview" of pages in "Elvis-face to face" (2008 release) but there will be throughout the text some direct conversations and a section with several other conversations on various subjects that will let you all be "listening in" to he and I "just talking". I hope that in
putting some of his conversation in books, people can get to know the guy we knew, loved and respected. He's just the same guy so many other of his friends have written about in the past few years-it was such a delight and made us feel so good to find out he was the same with them as he was with us...just a friend, a guy who laughed, teased, loved and had some moments of irritability -a normal guy who happened to also be very special in many unique and heavenly ways. I can't wait to get this last book done! But I don't want to leave out anything as it is the last chance. MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE! wjh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:09 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

Wanda June Hill wrote:
I can't wait to get this last book done! But I don't want to leave out anything as it is the last chance.

Wanda, are you still going to do the free 3rd book and fill it with the conversations not put in F2F?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:13 pm 
Site Admin

If I am able to do that, if not then maybe Starla can help out but I am not thinking that far down the road right now. I just want to get Face To Face out and have it be even better than WR,E in that it will have completed the "picture" of what wasn't told int he first one. And have some other poeple involved as well. It's so "close" to me that I find myself wanting to be sure not to forget this or that-and have talked to a few other people who remind me of this or that going on and so I have to get that in too,
and it take some time. It sure helps to have a printer so I can see it and read it the way others will. It would be a nice thing to have the conversations in one book-even I would enjoy reading that-having them right there easy to read etc:... but we shall see. I'm not a spring chicken or even a an old "laying hen" and that big "boiling pot" is acomin' closer"
as my grand mother used to say about some of her chickens who were getting old-she had some that lived 12 and 15 years! I guess they can if they are cared for and not eaten? Anyway, time will tell. It's a full moon, my shoulder and right arm is telling me to "knock it off" now! I sprung the roter again...hanging up clothes of all things! wjh

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next