It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 4 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Medicine and the Supernatural
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:36 am 
Hello friends,

A new book came out that I think Elvis would have enjoyed. It's called The Scalpel and the Soul: Encounters with Surgery, the Supernatural, and the Healing Power of Hope. The author is a Harvard-educated brain surgeon. This is sort of at the crossroads between medicine and all the off-the-wall mystical stuff our hero loved. :D We seem to have a whole new generation of "shamans" coming into existence.

Many of the fascinating stories told within the book are recounted by the author in this radio program:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aD6nBmFZ ... re=related

Just in case this topic is interesting to you. :D All the best....

Love,
Trish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:53 pm 
:D Hi Golden Sky, this looks to be very Interesting for sure. Thanks! FairyTale! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:20 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks so much dear Trish for letting us know about this new book. :wink: :D It does sound very interesting and in light of all of the serious health issues that I've been dealing with the past couple of years, will definitely be checking it out! :) :wink: Thanks also for the helpful link you posted for us also!! :D Will definitely be taking a listen to that and the other 2 corresponding links later on tonite once the house settles down and all is quiet. :wink: :P :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:06 am 
Dear Mari,

I'm so sorry to learn that you've had serious health issues. Are you alright now? You are always so cheerful and upbeat- I would never have guessed that you struggle. (All the more lovely that you cheer us all on so much!) :D I'm giving you a hug in my heart, hoping you are better, and keeping you in my prayers. Thanks for letting us know.

Love,
Trish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:33 pm 
Site Admin

Thank you so much dear Trish for all of the very sweet things you said about me. :wink: :D I am doing a little better now, but last year I was diagnosed with uterine cancer,(they said I probably had it for at least 1-2 years by the time I was diagnosed :( :roll: ) and had to have major surgery and then follow that up with extensive radiation treatments. :( If you look in the Chapel Of Love folder you'll be able to read all about everything I've gone through. Thank you so much for the hug my dear angel and for keeping me in your prayers. :wink: :D Please know that many hugs and prayers go back out to you in return!!! :wink: :D :love:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:57 am 
I to well keep you Mari and Trish in my Prayers, there is nothing I don't care if its Cancer or what The Lord well take care of it. FairyTale!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:40 am 
Site Admin

Thank you so very much Sue and FairyTale my sweet angels!!! :wink: :D :D (A) :love: :hug:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:56 am 
Dear Mari,

I was so upset to read you've been dealing with cancer. I hate that disease, and how dare it come near my friend! But you give me every indication you'll beat it through and through; your morale is simply beautiful! And positive thinking is crucial...and you know that :D I'm going to find your story in the Chapel of Love file and catch up, and I'm keeping you in my prayers.

Do you take any natural remedies to supplement the radiation program? Have you heard of taking miso to help offset the effects of radioactivity? (No need to answer if that's a bothersome question! :lol:)

Love, prayers, and hugs to a brave woman,
Trish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:34 am 
Site Admin

Dearest Trish your kind and loving words about me, and all of your prayers for me make my little ol' heart just soar with happiness!!! :wink: :D :D Yes, positive thinking is most definitely crucial but not always the easiest thing to do which is why I feel so incredibly blessed to be your friend and a part of our loving family here at ELC!!! :hug: :love: :D :D :D There ain't nothin' like genuine LOVE to help bring about a more postive outlook on things!! :wink: :D (A) At the moment I am not taking any kind of natural remedies to supplement the radiation treatments I've had and I don't think I'm too familiar with miso. Would it be too much of a bother to ask you to elaborate more on what this is and what types of natural remedies you might suggest my dear angel? :oops: I've always got an open mind to suggestions like these. :wink: :D Oh and for the record, none of your questions are now or will ever be bothersome to me my sweet friend!!! :wink: :D :love:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:55 am 
MaryInTheMorning wrote:
Yes, positive thinking is most definitely crucial but not always the easiest thing to do which is why I feel so incredibly blessed to be your friend and a part of our loving family here at ELC!!! :hug: :love: :D :D :D There ain't nothin' like genuine LOVE to help bring about a more postive outlook on things!! :wink: :D

AMEN to all of this, Mary! And I'm delighted to be able to help in any way. We ARE a family of sorts, right? :D

Ok now I have to take a deep breath and try to think of how I should talk about natural remedies. As I said in another thread, my mother, father and brother all had cancer (and my mother died of it). That left me feeling "doomed." So about 10 years ago, I started reading books about how to cure cancer naturally. I acquired a pretty big health library and read about 200 books. I have no credentials and most of what I've read I've forgotten, but the experience has given me a lot of faith in the legitimacy of natural cures. Unfortunately, experience can't just be transferred! And I think it's "spooky" to some people when you talk about natural cures with them. (I know my borher-in-law didn't want to hear anything about natural cures when he was diagnosed last year, for example) So I really try and tread lightly with this topic, respecting everyone's unique comfort zones. :D

Miso is the fermented soy paste that's used as the base of the popular Japanese soup, fittingly called miso soup. It has been discovered to have radioprotective qualities...I'm rather certain that a study was conducted on long-term survivors of radioactive poisoning in areas near Nagasaki and Hiroshima, Japan, and the regular ingestion of miso soup was common to all these survivors. If our medical industry weren't so woefully, almost criminally (in my opinion) ignorant of natural medicine, miso soup would be suggested for all patients undergoing radiation. I like it, it tastes good. It's also simple to make: buy miso at the health store, mix about a teaspoon with hot water, add scallions or even little tofu cubes if you like, and viola! Miso soup.

The other important supplement for radiation patients may be iodine. But you may already be taking that. (See, this is why I probably shouldn't get into these conversations! I'm not a doctor! :D) But knowledge is power, right??? Anyway, iodine protects the thyroid from radiation. In the old days, kelp tablets were simply recommended to provide iodine. Then it was discovered they could aggravate hyperthyroidism, (Grave's disease), so now kelp isn't recommended as wholeheartedly. It's actually gotten all complicated, but if the spirit ever moves you, you might consider looking this up. I know Christiane Northrup (of Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom fame) recommends painting one's skin with iodine liquid in a precise method to ensure optimal uptake. Her method is found in her book, but the last thing I want to do is make you feel stressed thinking you have to chase books and paint your skin! These are just things to consider, if you are in the mood to broaden your health horizons. :D

There are many, many, many natural remedies for cancer...too many for me to go into. And I wouldn't want to pretend I'm your doctor, anyway :D but I would like to encourage you to enjoy your exploration of those options, if you ever get curious about them. I have made it a rule for myself that I won't read any books that scare me for any reason whatsoever, no matter how "helpful" they are in theory. I only read optimistic books! :D And I hope that if you get inspired to go looking for them, that you will find them in abundance. And I'm always here to talk to about it, too. :D

Lots of love, and a big hug,
Trish

Page 1 of 4 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next