It is currently Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 4 of 5 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: A bit of color
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:51 pm 
Sun Dial

We always have a lot of Cardinals in our yard. They love Planter's lightly salted peanuts or of course, bird seed. I just hung out some suet with bird seed mixed in it. That will give them some much needed energy in this cold weather we are having.

We had between 18-20" of snow last weekend. It is so beautiful, but now all of our Christmas angels, Santa's and all of our other lawn ornaments are buried. My husband had to blow snow right over them because there is no where else to put all the snow. Well, it's supposed to rain tomorrow, so that will wash some of the snow from them. We have had almost arctic air and snow. Now it's going to be 50 degrees on Christmas right through the weekend!! :? There's an old expression about New England weather; "If you don't like the weather wait a minute. The weather here can change so fast. Our whole house is covered in Christmas lights. It is amazing. OK, think Chevy Chase in Christmas Vacation when he puts the lights up. Haha! :lol: He starts putting the lights up at the beginning of November and finishes during the first week of December. My husband turns back to being five years old again when it comes to Christmas. He's very cute to watch during this season.

Isn't it cute how you can always tell when a cardinal (Red Bird) is around? You will always hear what I call their clicking sound. It's not a chirp and it's not a whistle per se. The link I am attaching calls it a chip sound. They sing too, but that clicking sound is so distinct. I find it funny how in the animal kingdom that the female is always the blander of the two in a pair. Hmmmm! :wink:

http://animals.howstuffworks.com/birds/ ... l-info.htm

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:49 pm 
Site Admin

Hi, I love the Cardinals- we don't have them here but further up in the mountains above LA they have jays and occasionally red birds. A few years ago we had robin redbreasts- a pair who stopped by on their way somewhere else as they aren't native here. We live on a bird flight path so we get lots of birds, some that are quite rare for our area. I think they might get carried here by the strong winds we've had across the US or something. When Starla and I went back to Nashville and Memphis a few years ago, we saw a Red Cardinal sitting on the fence beside the road that took us to Graceland- I thought that was pretty neat. I always think of him when I see one- I guess we all will who know what he said about being a bit of color in a sometimes dreary world. I loved the way he put things... he was very much a poet at heart and I wish that he had been more confident in his ability to write songs and lyrics because he did have a talent for it- it just wasn't encouraged I guess...and he needed a lot of that in some areas. Just a natural shy child deep inside, needing some one to build up confidnece for him.
We're doing fine, it's rained thankfully, and everything looks like spring around here. But we are to get some more cold that will kill off the greenery and hopefully these pesky flies that have hatched out in the past two days. Hope everyone has a wonderful new year with many happy times, thoughtful times and warm, pleasant memory times as well. wjh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:15 am 
Sun Dial

It's nice to hear from you Wanda. I too love birds. I remember when I was little, my grandmother and I used to sit by her window and watch the birds during the winter. She had all kinds of bird books to figure out what bird was at the window. We used to go to the feed and grain store to get cracked corn, thistle and sunflower seeds for them. I also remember putting down cracked corn for all the pheasants that would be across the brook that ran through her back yard. The pheasants are long gone now, but the blue jays, cardinals, pheobe's and the chick-a-dee's are abundant. The poor grackle's sit upon the chimeny tops to catch some free warmth. I feel so sorry for them. Birds are amazing to watch. They are never boring. My favorite local bird is the mocking bird. They mock everything, including sea gulls and we had one that meowed like a cat. I kid you not. They sing so many different songs in the matter of minutes that it's hard to decipher which birds they are mocking. They sound so beautiful. I have yet to see a blue bird though. My grandmother used to tell me that they were abundant when she was young in New England. I wish they would come back. Heck, I even love pidgeons! :lol:

Ladies, what are the most common birds where you come from?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:48 pm 
:hello: Wanda My Dear, it is so Great to see you. I'm the same way now about Cardinals, everytime I see one I always think about what Elvis said. I Hope You and Starla, and Jimmie had a Fantastic Christmas and that The New Year Brings you all many Blessings. :love:

Post subject: Re: What does God require of us?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:38 pm 
Site Admin

Elvis: Our Lord doesn't expect perfection but he does want truth in our everyday living. He has said clearly what he expects from his children-us. Made in his Image. God doesn't give us more than we can handle, now maybe he expects more from us than we think we can give, but that is when prayer and faith comes in to give us strength of will and purpose. God has never given us more than we can bear, or more than we can over come because he is there to guide, lift up and support us in all our attempts to be the person he wishes us to be. In the verses of Micah, chapter 6 'n verse 8 he is clear in what he requires and it is explained as follows:
The question is asked> "What does God require of us? What does he want us to give him?" "What does the Lord require of you, but to do justice, to love kindness and mercy, and walk humbly with the Lord?" To do justice is to listen to others, to practice fairness in our judgment of their intentions, to trust our fellow man and treat them fairly. Everyone has their trials and each must reason their way through them, doing the best they can. We need to be patient with their outcome and offer fairness and justice to their cause through understanding of where they fare in life's great journey. Now to practice kindness and mercy is to turn aside when others are angry, saying harsh things they don't really mean though their distress has caused them to toss those things our way. To practice fairness is to be just, to follow one's heart is to be kind, and to consider one's plight as if it were your own is to practice mercy. And all three bring understanding of our Lord's intentions when he has said, "What does the Lord require of you, but to do justice, to love kindness and mercy, and walk humbly with the Lord"
Elvis: "Now understand what is said in that last line...to walk humbly with the Lord. It is not your own power, prestige or greatness that allows you to walk with the Lord...it is His mercy, kindness and love of what is good that he tells us will bring us to be able to walk humbly...not behind but WITH the Lord. Praise God! For in his greatness of heart and knowledge, he allows to walk humbly by his side, and our gift to him is our love and respect for his word. He said, "I am the Word" We must learn his word, for it is life it's self."

{Elvis was studying ancient scriptures from Jewish books so that he might further learn God's words and so he would have a fuller understanding of the scriptures from sources other than his King James Bible. Elvis read more than 1,000 books, mostly of spiritual nature, many pertaining to our Lord Jesus Christ who Elvis said he wanted to be able to sit at his feet in Heaven and learn all about life's meanings. I believe he is doing just that.
I came across a few notes I'd taken of a conversation with him, but I don't have the transcript as it was not recorded. I kind of thought that these words sort of fit what is happening in our today's world, with it's harsh judgments, often made on much of nothing, and "news" that is often more entertainment oriented than real news happenings. It's hard to know and judge which is true, right, or even real these days. But It is easy for us as human beings to practice God's requirements...they are so few really. Just to treat one another fairly, to listen to what is said and look beyond the reasons and like Elvis often said, look at the needs...for they are behind the wants, good and bad. And don't we all need to have more mercy one to another, to be patient and show kindness in something so simple as listening carefully before we jump up and down shouting etc: or get hurt feelings. If we practiced those things, kindness and mercy, fairness and patience, we would be more apt to listen and "see past the wants and understand the needs" which would in turn, open up the heart and there would pour the understanding and love that Jesus said was just and good. Thanks Elvis, once again you have shown that you
were a kind, decent and loving man, generous to a fault but good through and through that big heart of yours. bye-bye, see ya soon, wjh

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:50 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

thank you Wanda for this great reading and yes I would love to see him even sooner..

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:32 am 
What a True Blessing to read these Word's of Elvis', I Truly think Elvis had you to put this Up for Me Wanda so I wouldn't be so Down with Missing Elvis So Very Much. Elvis is telling me that he is Sitting at the Feet of Jesus, and that one Day I well be able to Sit with Elvis at Jesus Feet. I also think he is Letting me Know he is Happy, and Not to Cry that Elvis is with Me! :love:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:15 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

Thank you , Wanda, for sharing these precious words of Elvis with us! :hug:

"ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE IF YOU ONLY BELIEVE"

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:30 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

Yes thank you Wanda for sharing these beautiful words from our dear sweet precious Elvis :love: :hug:

Talia

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:04 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

Attachments:
cardinals in snow (large).jpg
cardinals in snow (large).jpg [ 231.14 KiB | Viewed 164 times ]

Page 4 of 5 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next