It is currently Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 3 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Elvis: You Know!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:52 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

I lived in so many places, we, from bein' little to bein' a young man-seemed like we were moving about ever six months for a while there, 'n then was at Lauderdale for a while an' that wasn't too bad, really. Jus' kinda noisy at times but we had our own bathroom! ( Laughs ) Hated sharin' that man, jus' never know who's been usin' it last, ya know-" floaters ", sticky seat-Lord! ( Giggles-Laughs loudly ) Well, it happens... Anyway, we were livin' there an' I was workin' two jobs
usually if could find two that'd fit together kinda, an' finishin' school best I could. Man, wanted to quit school but momma, she didn't want that, she thought I could be somebody or somethin' if I just graduated an' stuck with somethin' long enough.
Hell, she thought I could be-be president... of some company or somethin'. But you know, she's my momma...( chuckles )

Anyway, we moved ' round, learned how to get along with folks,
all types of 'em so it wasn't a bad thing. We all got to get along and
it's good to know some body's way of thinkin' and what made 'em think
that way. Man, I'm a squirrel too...right out of the trees- I know it
man! Weird Elvis...look out, man he's crazy! They may be right on it!
( Laughs ) I'm just like all you people, no different-I got dreams an'
plans an' wants just the same as you... Oh, I want to have time to do a
few things I'd like to do-eh-maybe go skiing this winter an' have some
friends come along. or maybe go to Hawaii a while-or hell, might just
stay at home an' enjoy being there with a few friends...don't need to leave home sometimes to have the best time of your life. It's what is
inside a person that counts-if it's fun, happy and gratifying, then
that's jus ' 'bout all anyone could ask, really.

Last edited by Wanda June Hill on Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: fixed two little errors-for clairity.

Post subject: Re: Elvis: You Know!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:29 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

Thanks for posting and sharing this from out of Face to Face, dear Rose-Lyn! :) :P :D :hello: :love: :hug:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:55 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

:hello: I'm Glad You Like this, in a way this Reminds me of the Movie King Creole with what Elvis said about when he was Growing up. :love:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:14 pm 
Site Admin

It does quite a bit, it makes a big difference in a kids life, moving around alot
changing schools, though he said he didn't have to change, they didn't move
that far etc:... Jimmie was in in 8 different schools before his Jr. year...
kids can't learn easily when that happens, and it makes it hard. Back in those times, kids often quit school to work, Jimmie did and Elvis would have but he
wanted to please his mother and dad and he wanted to be able to finish as he would be the first one in his family to do so... But he said he "squeaked by" doing it. I think he had some help from his girlfriend and his buddies too, school work wise and too, he had a really quick and good memory so if he had the time to
study whatever, he could learn enough to "squeak by" on tests etc:. He said he didn't make good grades, barely passing because he just wasn't much into
learning what was being taught... once he could read, that was what he learned
from, that and practice in living and working jobs. It's worse today, kids are not being taught much useful stuff, and so many college kids can't even name the
capitols of states or things from recent history It is kind of scary...of course
with the computers, they don't need to know, they can always look it up now if needed. I guess that helps...but what if there is no power to run all these
gadgets? What then? Elvis talked about computers...I think it was Radio Shack that had one but there was no internet, it was just a glorified typewriter with memory of minor amounts. He didn't get to know about the things we have today, not in human form anyway. He would have had so much fun! -and been "safe" from reaching hands etc....doing it. wjh

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:04 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

Hi Wanda! :hello: Thanks for sharing with us as always! :D Elvis did what he could and yeah, I'm certain he would have loved the internet and had the freedom to search, look at, post etc without being bothered or disturbed too much though if anyone had found out his avatar name? Well.... :wink: :P :hello: :love:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:19 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

:hello: Hi Wanda I have been wonderin' about you,Elvis sounded like me when it came to school. I to wanted to quit School at 16, I just thought I knew how to read and write some and Figure a little so why do I have to go to school for 12 whole grades. But I squeaked by and Graduated to, so I know just how Elvis felt. :hug:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:19 pm 
Rainbow

Hi Rose Lyn, Just wanted to ask you or Wanda something I don't understand, I must be dim, but I puzzle over this reference to Elvis saying he's a squirrel. I think being English we never heard this saying, or maybe just me. Anyway I have read it in other places and just thought in was an in-joke between E and the MM. What do you reckon? :? :love: Whitebud

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:18 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

:hello: Hi White Bud, I think Elvis used that Word Squirrel like in the Movie Spin out if you have ever watched it. When he tells Shelly Fabrae's Father in the one Scene, how that Squirrel ran him off the Road. I think Elvis used the Word Squirrel, instead of some Other Choice Words that I Know Elvis would and Did Use when Some one Did Something to Him or to Some one else. At least that is what I think, But if I'm Wrong I know Wanda would Definitely Know. I at Least I hope I have Helped you Some White Bud, if I was you PM or email Wanda and ask her. She wouldn't Mind at all! :hug:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:33 pm 
Rainbow

:hello: Rose Lyn, thank you for replying, I haven't seen the movie yet but hope to one day. I thought maybe Elvis had been called a squirrel by kids in Humes High because he was so different some reference to nuts or something like that, anyway I will go figure, as you say :roll: :love: whitebud

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:53 pm 
Site Admin

I think he referred to himself that way because he'd been called that due to his nervousness fidgeting as squirrels do, flicking their tails, jumping around and never
still much...and they ran like the wind which he said he could run pretty fast. It was used in many ways, that word, but also he was called "nuts" and various
other things in school and after as well. and he gave the impression that he was
always spur of the moment jumping around to do something...actually, most things he did were well planned in advance by himself usually, while he was not sleeping and doing alot of thinking. He wasn't nearly as spontaneous as some might think, at least that was my conclusion formed over the years of listening to him discuss things and talk about his life etc:.... alot "just happened" as he said, and he was confused, startled and at times miserable because he couldn't keep up mentally with all that was going on in those early days, and he was tired out, exhausted physically and mentally but he had so much to do he had to forget about it and go on. So maybe he felt like a squirrel, jumping from place to place,
a nervous wreck waiting to appear, getting there, and waiting. There is a lot of waiting around in the entertainment business... learned that when doing the roadie work with Starla and her band. We'd hurry to be there when told, and
then spend hours waiting around for them to appear or set up or whatever.
It was a lot of patience required kind of job, believe me. I wouldn't want to be an entertainer of any type as a result...way too much pressure! Of course we did that with showing our horse also...hurry up and then wait and wait and wait...Foxx handled it better than we did! He was always ready to get ready!

Page 1 of 3 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next