It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 2 of 3 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Elvis talk about his movies years
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:11 pm 
Flame

Judge Evans was extremely impressed with Tual's inital findings, and on December 10, 1980, he ordered that the investigation should be broadened. He wanted to see the Colonel's tax returns. He wanted to know why there was six separate agreements when a single comprehensive one would have been indefinitely preferable. He wanted to know why the percentages the Colonel negociated on Elvis's behalf were so much lower than the industry standards for an artist of his stature. Why, for exemple, was Elvis mking only half the points received by the Rolling Stone? One question of particular interest was why the Colonel made more than Elvis on the Amazing Buy-Out Agreement. and why it was structured so badbly, than a large amount of what Elvis made on the deal was taken in taxes. The judge was also curious as to why the Colonel never questioned RCA's royalty figures when there was "industry wide pratice of objective as a matter of course".

Judge Evans appointed Blanchard Tual, a rising young Memphis lawyer, to "Represent and defend the interests of Lisa-Marie" and to prepare a detailled report on the agreement between Parker and the Estate , on which the judge would base his decision whether or not approve their continuation. The Colonel must have felt the botton was falling out his world. The enemy was inside the gates. His worst nightmare was coming true and he couldn't do a damn thing to stop it. A lousy court judge had brought the walls tumbling down. There was no one to bride or bully.

In september 1980, Blanchard Tual presente d what is now know as the "Original Report" containing the first conclusions while investigations were still going on. Tual recommended that all moneys coming from the Elvis Industry would be paid directly to the Estate and not to Parker. and "That the Court enjoin the executors from paying Parker any futher commissions pending the conclusion of the investigation." Tual asked the court not to approve the fifty-percent commission and withold approval of any percentage. He also wanted Parker and all his companions to open their books. The "Original Report" said that the Colonel was "GUILTY OF SELS-DEALING AND OVERREACHING AND VIOLETED HIS DUTY BOTH TO ELVIS AND TO THE ESTATE".

Blanchard Tual stated than Parker "handled affairs not in Elvis's but in his own best interest". He describeb the Colonel's role as follows:

Last edited by Liliane on Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:24 pm 
Flame

Elvis and the Colonel
by Dirk Velllenga pages 225-226-227-228-229

Part Three

Blanchard Tual stated than Parker "handled affairs not in Elvis's but in his own best interest". He describeb the Colonel's role as follows:

He had made a great deal of money and received many beneficts from those who had to go through Parker to reach Elvis. RCA, William Morris, the motion pictures compagnies, the television network, and the Las Vegas Hotels, all catered to Parker and provided various monetary and non-monetary incentives to keep Parker happy and therefore get Elvis. For exemple, RCA has always provided Parker with free office space, office supplies, secretaries, etc. Whenever Elvis appeared in Las Vegas, Parker was treated like a King and virtually get everything he wanted including special glambling privileges. Parker had always has complete free rein with William Morris and again, whatever he wanted he got.

Tual said that Parker systetically overpowered Elvis. He handle all the money earned by Presley. All income was paid to him or All Star Shows, and Parker would deduct his part and pay the rest to Elvis. He never gave full, annual accounting. Elvis and his acountants always assumed that his figures were beyonds and doubt.

Judge Evans was extremely impressed with Tual's inital findings, and on December 10, 1980, he ordered that the investigation should be broadened. He wanted to see the Colonel's tax returns. He wanted to know why there was six separate agreements when a single comprehensive one would have been indefinitely preferable. He wanted to know why the percentages the Colonel negociated on Elvis's behalf were so much lower than the industry standards for an artist of his stature. Why, for exemple, was Elvis mking only half the points received by the Rolling Stone? One question of particular interest was why the Colonel made more than Elvis on the Amazing Buy-Out Agreement. and why it was structured so badbly, than a large amount of what Elvis made on the deal was taken in taxes. The judge was also curious as to why the Colonel never questioned RCA's royalty figures when there was "an industry wide pratice of objecting as a matter of course"

The New Amended Report was filed on July 31, 1981 and it didn't mince words. "Both Parker and RCA are guilty of Collusion, conpiracy, fraud, misrepresentation, bad faith and overreaching." The 1973 Agreement were called "Unethical, fraudulently obtained and against all industry standards".

On August 14, 1981, the Probate Court of Memphis adopted most of Blanchard Tual's recommendations. Judge Evans ordered the Estate to stop making payments to Parker and to file a complaint against him to recover and unspecfied amount of money.

Last edited by Liliane on Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:44 pm, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:21 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

:hello: Ladies Thank You for Posting All of this About the Dirt on Parker, I wonder why the Court couldn't Find in Parker's Papers about Paying the Mob buying Elvis to Pay for Parker's Gambling Debt's? :hug:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:07 am 
Flame

Not all what is written in all these books are true. Some events you can read in 3 books in 3 different stories from 3 different authors. Especially in case of Col. Parker. Not all is like it seems to be. I think that the relationship between Elvis and Parker was a very difficult one and nobody know excact what happened between them. They never talked about business openly but always between 4 eyes. I'm sure not a friend of Parker, but to blame him for everytrhing bad in Elvis' life is not correct and wrong.
There are a lot of documents - and only by this documents or contracts we can judge Col. Parker. All other informations are hearsay account and own conclusion of the authors - even a little truth is always there.

All books, written by members of Elvis' inner circle gave always their subjective view of things, but never a objective. Personally I think that both man, Elvis and Col. Parker, couldn't without each other. Both man were very succesful - each of them in his own way. But no doubt - without Elvis and all his talents Parker couldn't never be such a succesful manager. But who knows...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:37 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

:hello: Angel Eyes, All I know is that Parker was a Forked Tongue Self Centered Rat. He seen Elvis and his Parents as Nothing But Ghetto White Trash that Were Dumb as a Bunch of Rocks, Parker Never Thought Elvis was To Bright. So that is why Parker Knew he could Do all he wanted to do with Elvis and his Career but the reason Parker did do all he did to Elvis and the Money is Elvis never took interest in the Money End of his Life until; at the last couple Months when Elvis was wanting to Give Parker The Boot!, it is a Will Known Fact that Parker Sold the Mob Elvis' Contract to them from 1969 until the end of Elvis' Life. Elvis knew this, if you would just read Wanda's First Book "WE REMEMBER ELVIS" Elvis and Wanda talk about this. So there is a whole lot in some Elvis Books that aren't True, but what Wanda as said in her Books are and that is what I'm going by. So Angel Eyes have you read Wanda's first Book, if not you really should. :love:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:01 am 
Flame

Rose-Lynn, as I wrote: We can judge the man only if we know all facts and have seen all documents or contracts.
To be honest - I'm not a friend of Col. Parker, but that doesn't mean he was a bad person at all. I heard and read a lot of people saying bad thing of him - and some may true. People say that he was a very brusque and shrewd person, but all say that you could count on his word.

In case of Elvis: at the beginning he was very good and made Elvis very sucessful in a very short time. But later, in the sixties, he made some wrong decisions, specially during Elvis' movie years.
And I also think, as times changed he wasn't able to changed his behaviour too.
His business methods were too old-fashinioned. Also he was in case of money greedy and looked more of his financial benefits than of Elvis'. Also he did a lot of profitable (for him ) side deals.
But what we must have in mind: Elvis signed all contracs which Parker negotiated. Maybe he was thinking he was worth this share - who knows.
It is common knowledge that Elvis was very inteligent and think that he wasn't aware of what Parker did, question Elvis' intelligence.

I think it was a very complicated and sometimes a difficult relationship between the two of them.
I know that often it is diffucult so see things without emotion - specially when it affect Elvis. But during my yearlong research I must lern to do so - even it is often very hard not to be emotional. Because of all the crap and lies are written about our man.

Elvis was a very generous and a giving person, also very loyal to people around him and to people he liked a lot. I think that he never forgot what Col. Parker did for his career and maybe this was his loyalitiy to the Colonel - in good and in bad times.

For me the worst things is, that Parker Elvis and his sensitive, creative vain never fully understood and what this means to Elvis. Al the same routine again and again. Such a great and creative artist like Elvis needed always challenges, but the sad thing is - at the last years he hadn't - and in my mind this is the greatested tragedy and maybe this had to do with some wrong decisions in his life - whosoever it made.

No, I didn't read Wanda's first book, but it must be pretty interesting too. :hello:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:34 am 
Site Admin

You make a lot of sense Angeleyes, and yes, there are many different opinions of theCol. and also of his relationship personal/business with Elvis. he was behind the times in many areas, especially about contracts and movie deals and he tended to go with a sure thing quick and easy first. Elvis was lax in not taking more interest, in being so trusting and also, obliging. But the Col. knew him too well, he was very adept in reading people, and taking advantage when he could, he was after all a cunningly smart man when it came to making money off of other people's interests. he sold pictures of Elvis to the fans, from day one of their
career together, but Elvis didn't get even a penny off of the reciepts from those
and he apparently didn't seem too concerned that he didn't...all Elvis wanted was
enough money to get the things he wanted for his parents, to do what he wanted
for himself, which included helping family members and also, strangers/friends he
had around the country. Elvis was a people person, and very easily taken in at
times, he gave everyone his trust until he learned that he couldn't always do that
and come out okay himself. The col. kept a tight rein on him, probably was a good thing since Elvis was so willing to trust people's word. he had some hard
knocks as a result, he learned to hate the press, and he learned to play the
game the Col. wanted him to play, to be ElVIS for the fans, and then himself
away from them...he had to be hard to keep that going all the time. Elvis did
tell me some things about what he thought regarding the way his career was
going and he did lay it at the feet of the Col. and he did want out of those
films, and he did ask for better but the Col. appeared from what Elvis said
and what was going on, kept saying he ought to just shut up and enjoy the
money he was making for doing so little. He just didn't understand why Elvis
wasn't satisfied with making money, having fun and forgetting anything else
about wanting to be a good actor etc...after all, he was the highest paid
entertainer/actor for a long while there...and it still wasn't enough. TheCol.
then saw a chance to rake in big bucks sending him on the road...and he did
rake it in...in cash mostly apparently...and kept rather odd records ...Elvis
share paid all the expenses...he got a flat rate no matter how much was taken in... that seemed kind of strange to me, but Elvis was satisfied with what he
made...he was just bored stiff again, he needed something that satisfied his
spirit, his soul and made him proud of what he had done... the stage had become "just another of those films" kind of thing to him. Sadly the Col. was
not able to understand that thinking, he just enjoyed making money, and he
liked taking advantage when he could...as long as it meant more money. Elvis
was shocked to learn how much he was worth, and how much money had been
made off of his talents...he had no concept of it apparently until Priscilla's lawyers brought it to his attention... it was almost beyond his thinking...and he
did brood over it all, and began to be even less satisfied with things he was
doing...he couldn't imagine having gone through all that money...he decided
he wanted his own plane, after all, he thought it would be cheaper than using
others and having to pay for it when he made so much he could have his own.
he didn't realize how much it took in fuel and etc and again, he got rooked by
those who were supposed to be keeping his plane in good condition...when he
died and his dad sold it...the buyers had it checked over and found lots of
false paper work regarding the maintenance and up keep. The plane could have
crashed at any time they said, it was that bad. But Elvis always prayed for
a safe flight, and he prayed that no one would be hurt on the tours, not his
people or any fans... considering the flights, the many concerts and all those
people rushing to get tickets and going, very few were hurt and the plane did
not crash...or have any real serious problems. It is remarkably common even
today for airplanes to have faulty paper work regarding their upkeep, even the
commercial airlines have that problem cropping up pretty often. one always takes a risk flying... greed can be lurking for opportunity to increase at every
possible turn of the clock...anywhere in the world... where ever humans are
it's there...but so is love, charity, compassion and loyalty to those we care about... human nature is a mixed bag...but wouldn't it be dull without that mix!
in the end, Elvis got his wish, he died at home, with his friends and family, he
didn't get forgotten and probably never will be, he is with his mother, brother and those friends he loved as he grew up and now his companions and those he respected, loved and enjoyed are gradually joining him. Thank the Lord we can
believe that we too will join them all for one great concert in the sky...those who do not believe in a place that is prepared for us all, may you have comfort in knowing there is a choice..and we have the right to choose.
love to all,
wjh

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:25 am 
Flame

What a great reply, Wanda. I agree with you in a lot. Yes, Parker kept a tight rein on Elvis and at the beginning is was a good thing. He did a lot for Elvis and his career when Elvis was in the army and away. After the army he helped him to lauch his career as an actor. He negotiated the movie contracts at first very well and made Elvis to the highest paid actor and box office success. But later on, he was looking after one good deal to another - ignoring Elvis wishes for better scripts. But all what Parker did was negotiating a new, 7 yearlong contract, because every film of Elvis was a boxoffice success. I remember that Elvis talked after a while about his movies as "travelodges". Understandable he was very frustrated over the years about his roles in all this films. He wanted a chance to show that he was a good actor and could play serious roles too.
Even a lot of his directors testify him a great acting talent, Elvis never got the chance as we know. But guilty for this to a certain degree were film procucers like Hal Wallis for example too. They promised serious roles (ok, the next one) but break their promises to Elvis. They subordinate his talent for box office success.
And as you say: Col. Parker was around 1965 behind the times. In my opinion Elvis should quitting Parker. But on the other side, he was a very loyal person and that's maybe the reason that he didn't Parker fired al least because he never forget what Parker at the beginning did for him.
On the other hand - Elvis tried to fire Parker two times, but after a few weeks he would return to the same. What I think is, that Parker, as the shrewd and listy man he was, blackmailed Elvis and his father, saying that Elvis own him a lot of money (what sure wasn't true) and without him as his manager Elvis was nothing. He played a masterfully game to Elvis and his father. He played with their fear to be poor again, loosing all what he gained. And thats why he won again controll over Elvis. Even he was succesful, on the top so to say, perhaps deep inside he and Vernon never loose this fear and in my mind Elvis always was insecure of his talent, if people like me and.. and.. but you know this maybe better than me.
But as I said in my previous post - we can judge Parker only by what we know for certain. A good example how Parker thought is in an interview which take place at January 17, 1968:
Q: Elvis, what is your reason for doing a TV show (68 Special)?
E: We figured it was about time. Besides i thought I'd better do it before I get too old.
Parker: We also get a very good deal.
Q: Are you acting as well as singing in this special?
E: I'm going to sing almost exclusively in it and I'm going to sing the songs I'm known for.
Q: Why did you decide to make it a TV special?
Parker: As you know, we have another mouth to feed next month and we need the extra income (birth of Lisa Marie)
But we must not forget, that Elvis also was very strongwilled and sometimes stubborn. Also he was very trustful to Col. Parker, may thinking he would know what ist the best for him and handle it well. I can imagine that it was a rude awakening for Elvis as he realized what's going on. I'm sure he knew about all the side deals of Parker but accepted it. Just for loyalitiy to him? Who knows what was going behind in the background.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:59 am 
Flame

But what me really surprise is, what you telling about the airplanes of Elvis. It is common knowlegde, that Elvis was frightened of flying. And he did everything that his flights were safe as possible. And that means that he took also care of the technical condition of his planes. I remember an incident that his flight captain, Mr. Elwood, mentioned an defect to Vernon and that it must undergoing repairs, but Vernon denied it. So he was going to tell Elvis. Elvis got furious about it and decided that the repair must done immedately. Elvis told Elwood that for future reparation he should come directly to him. I cannot imagine that the planes or the Lisa Marie were really in such a dangerous condition.

Oh yes, I believe that Elvis wasn't aware of how much money he made or was worth.
Sadly that he realized it only when Priscilla lawyers brought it to his attention.
All what he wanted is to please his fans, make them happy so that they could forget for a short time all their troubles and problems. Like he said in an interview:

I look at myself strictly as a human being who's last been very lucky. I have blood running through my vains and can be snuffed out in just a matter of seconds, and not as anything supernatural or better than any other human beeing.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:27 am 
Site Admin

I surprised me to learn about the failure of those who did the upkeep on the airplane to keep it in good condition...but greed is everywhere, even back in those times. What happened, apparently and I stress that we can only guess what it was and who was responsible, the repairs were not made and things were not
done or kept up to par as the records indicated they were- that is the rub- the records were there, but the actual work was not kept up properly. This came from after the plane was sold, the new owners were appalled; they had bought Elvis' airplane, thinking it would be in great shape as it looked like it was from the inside and the service records were intact etc... however, it was said that the
plane was a flying accident waiting to happen and here he was flying about the country, on tour, with other people on board and his little girl as well- he would
have had a hissy and heads would have rolled had he known. yes he had a fear
of flying going back to when he could 'see the birds sitting in the trees' as the plane (a prop plane, not jet back in those days) came down so low he thought
his time had come...after that he didn't fly, his mother didn't want him to anyway and he was convinced for a long while not to fly. But after he came
back from the army, he was braver and he accepted the fact that air travel was safer and much, much faster. He always prayed when flying in his airplane, he thought them to be well cared for and believed what he was told.
Elvis was as trusting in most instances, as a child...he wanted to believe in people's word, his trust was betrayed often, but he still gave people a chance to be trustworthy; it's impossible to know how many times he gave others a 'second chance' when they did fail him. But when he finally had enough, well
you'd better keep out of his way... or risk getting seared by that temper.
Thanks for all the great things you post! information is understanding. our Roselyn will be back on here in a few days, she's regrouping her resources and
generating at present.
wjh

Page 2 of 3 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next