Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Elvis hero was Mississippi Slim
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:49 am 
Flame

Early Elvis
The Tupelo years by Bill E. Burk
PAGES: 179-180

MISSISSIPPI SLIM

Every young boy has a hero he looks up to. For young Elvis, it was Carvel Lee Ausborn. You never heard of him ? Maybe it's because he was better known by his stage name- Mississippi Slim. Elvis' one goal in life, at age of ten and eleven, it's been said, was to one day be as famous as Mississippi Slim and, like Slim, to have his own thirty minute show on WELO Radio in Tupelo! To archieve this level of fame, to Elvis then, would be to enter Heaven on earth !

"My brother was tops at the time" say James Ausborn, Slim's younger brother, speaking of 1945-46.
"He was the star on WELO".

Elvis, a schoolmate of James Ausborn's at both Lawhon and Milan, stuck close to James, knowing this was the quickest way to get to Slim.

"On saturday's. Elvis would say to me "Will you go with me to his program. I want him to show me some more chords om my guitar", said Ausborn. He was always wanting to go up there.

"My brother told me once, 'Elivs was up today. He wanted to sing again. I'm going to give him a chance".

Twice, said Ausborn, Mississippi Slim let Elvis sing on his program. (Tapes of those programs are believed to be still around Tupelo, If so, someone is sittiong on a half-million dollars and doen't know it).

"Elvis couldn't play much then, maybe three or four chords at the time. He knew hos chords, he just couldn't put 'em together real good."

Mississippi Slim, so named because his hundred, forty-five pound body was stretched over a near-six-foot frame, was known to give many artists exposure on his radio show. Many times, during Elvis quick climb to stardom, Mississippi Slim would be asked , "What do you think about him now ?" and he would reply: " I didn't think he would ever be anything. He had a good voice but he couldn' t carry a note. I let him be on my program because he wanted to be on it. It was something different. But I never thought about him making all that money. Still, I'm always glad to see somebody make good".

Just before he died in late 1973 Slim looked back over his career and, noting Elvis phenomenal success. After leaving Tupelo, told his brother, "Just think, that boy is making all that money and he was on my show !"

Mississippi Slim, who recorded six songs on the Tennessee label, once visited Elvis on Aububon drive in Memphis.

"He stayed a long time that night", said James Ausborn.
"They played music and sang together and talked for hours.
Elvis showed him around the house and the next Christmas, sent him a Christmas card",

After leaving WELO, Mississippi Slim performed on WSIX Radio in Nashville and toured with the late Hank William Sr. James Ausborn and Elvis were off-and-on friends over about a three-year period. James was with Elvis thar day at the Tupelo fair when Elvis walked into a booth, snapped on a cowboy suit, and was photographied as a real western wrangler.

Post subject: Re: Elvis hero was Mississippi Slim
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:43 am 
Flame

Early Elvis
PAGES: 180-181

Roy Miller

Even though Roy Miller was a few years older, than Elvis, the lives of the two weaved together, in and out, over a number of years.

"I knew Elvis in church, for about five years before we began appearing together in those jamborees in the courthouse, said Miller.
"He was always a real quiet boy in church. Stayed with his mother. He was really interested in singing in church.

"When we would walk into the courthouse on saturdays, they would take our names. Eventually, they would call your name and you would go up front and sing.

"Elvis mostly sang 'Ol' Shep, at the jamborees. After the jamborees, many times Elvis would take his guitar, go out on the levee and just sit and sing. He loved that guitar".

WELO Radio Broadcast the jamborees. Lew Reibert was one of the announcers . Off times, Miller and Mississippi Slim sang during the jamborees. Each had their own program on WELO.

"The station was new in those days," said Miller. "They had a lot of free air time. You could go down there and put on a program. They welcomed it. Later, we got Kirkey Brothers furnitures Compagny as our sponsor".

The jamborees, he recalls, had more adult entertainers than children. Of the few children, one was Elvis.

"He was good, real good", said Miller. "If he wanted something, he would go for it. Ortherwise, he was a shy person..
He sang other songs, but I don't remember then I don't remember them. I only remember him singing 'Ol'Shep' all the time. They all liked it, him being a kid and a good singer, as well. They didn't seem to ever get tired of hearing him sing 'Ol Shep'. He knew that song better than the rest of the ones he sangs.

"Sometimes, after the jamborees, Elvis would come on my program on WELO and sing. It was a tiny studio, about fourteen-by-fourteen (feet),

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:00 am 
Flame

Early Elvis
PAGES 95-96

Magdalene Morgan

Maybe Elois Bedford though her romance, was going to last forever, but Magadelene Morgan had had her eyes on the sky youngster for a longer time and she knew - just knew - that one day, sooner or later, the would become "an item",

"I guess my infatuation with Elvis started in that little (Assembly of God) church up in East Tupelo, say Magadelene known as Maggie in school because people, including Elvis, never got around to learning how to spell her name correctly.

"We were always in Christmas play together up at the church. I always played opposite Elvis which really thrilled me a lot. One time, I remember, he was one of the wise men and I was one of the angels. Another tine, he was Joseph and I was Mary.

"He was just my ideal guy. He was very pleasant, very polite. He didn't talk a lot. Elvis was kind of embarrassed a lot. He did not like crowds. He woulk talk to me a lot if we were by ourselves, like when my mother and I would visit the Presley home which we did often because Gladys was my mon's best friend".

Magdalene said she attended a couple of birthday parties for elvis in his home.

"He and I would sing. We would hold hands and talk. We would go for walks in the woods out behind his house and he would talk about what he wanted to be when he grew up. He always talked about wanting to be a singer and hw would marry someone who would have be a lot like his mama. This was when were ten, eleven, on up in there. He was hus my little guy. you know".

"At the time, I was very young. I didn't expect my life to end or go anywhere without Elvis because he was my man. I was right there with him when he sang his very first song on WELO radio. I was so proud of him".

The station was downtown, she believe on Spring Street. Not aboce the black & whithe store, as been written so often.

"That's incorrect", say Magdalene. "There was a restaurant on the same street. Nanny's Cafe. Owned by my uncle. My mon and I worked there well, man worked and I piddled. The radio station was upstairss over the restaurant. The Disc jockey would call down and order his food and I would carry it to him. That's where Elvis sang his first song on the radio. I can't remember the DJ's name. It wasn't Mississippi Slim and it wasn't Roy Miller. Mississippi Slim had his own program and Nubin Payne sang with him on his show. Elvis did song on Slim's program a couple of times, but that was later.

Last edited by Liliane on Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:10 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

:hello: Liliane you sure have done some Research in Finding all of these Terrific Stories about Elvis, and I want to Thank for Posting these Stories for some that maybe have never read them Before. :love:

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]