It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: 'Homesick' Elvis letter in Auction: A letter Elvis
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:25 pm 
Flame

'Homesick' Elvis letter in Auction: A letter Elvis wrote from Germany just after his mother Gladys died emerges for sale 54 years on. The King's note from 1958 will be auctioned in Spain this week. "I just want to tell you that I miss and love you all very much", Elvis wrote.

He had just lost his mother and was living thousands of miles from home in a foreign country.
So it’s fair to say that Elvis was feeling genuinely lonesome the night he wrote an emotional letter to his friends.
Aged 23 and doing his national service in Germany, he sent the rare note home in 1958 telling them how homesick he was and how much he missed his mother Gladys who had died three months earlier.
He also spoke of his frustration at having to postpone his burgeoning singing career for the two years he spent in the US military.

The two-page handwritten letter was addressed to a 15-year-old girl called Frances Forbes, but was meant for a whole group of friends back home in Memphis, Tennessee.
It has been with a private collector from Hertfordshire for many years, but has now come up for sale.
The letter reveals Elvis' vulnerable and tender side. We have had a lot of interest in it and we expect it to go for more than the pre-sale estimate of $6,000.

Elvis' letter includes, "Well I don’t know what ever made me decide to write a letter but I guess it’s because I am so homesick and lonely. I just want to tell you that I miss and love you all very much and I am just counting the hours until I can return and we will all be together again.... I guess I miss mother more over here than anything because I am just now realizing that she won’t ever be here anymore."

(News, Source;ElvisInfoNetwork)

Post subject: Re: 'Homesick' Elvis letter in Auction: A letter Elvis
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:32 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

:hello: Liliane, Thank You for Posting this Letter. Elvis was so Heart Broken, and Lonesome. I know that Elvis Never did get over, in The Lonely and Hurtful Feeling of Losing his Mom. Its like when Elvis is at GraceLand for the First time coming back from the Army, You can see the Lost Look in Elvis' Eyes in not seeing his Mom any where. I know after everyone left and Elvis was by himself, he Cried is Heart Out! :(

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:57 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, I'm sure he did too Roslyn, he looked so young, like a teen ager when he came back. And he did look lost, timid and not quite at home yet. Then he had to face the journalists, in his own home he had to hold an interview and be ELVIS and he did it, but it was difficult for him though as usual he put his pains aside and let the public see what they wanted, though he couldn't hide it all. I think that was one of the most tender and true interviews he had done up to that time in his life. He was always honest, he threw in some humor here and there when under the "spotlight of journalists" but still there was honesty and the man he was showing through for anyone who wanted to really see. I always wondered how he could be so patient, gentle and understanding when he had to be "ELVIS" and answer questions. I know that I wouldn't have been one third that patient-and
wasn't the short time I had to do interviews "out there". He was here and for a purpose, that is a positive fact. He handled it all extremely well considering all he had to deal with from so many, on a daily basis. He was always wondering, why he was "Elvis"...the reasons is simple....he was MEANT to be! wjh

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:18 pm 
Flame

Elvis is back part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byMdfU7MGFo

Elvis - Post army interview at Graceland March 8, 1960

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MyrPxU6Ruo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:04 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

:hello: Thank You Liliane for posting this interview of Elvis, he did do a Great interview but I know he was Hurting So Inside. :hug:

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]