It is currently Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Maia's report on Elvis, 1975 Vegas
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:31 pm 
Site Admin

Here are my original notes on my Vegas trip in 1975. It was my last time to see Elvis in person.

Elvis Report, August, 1975

August 18th - arrived in Vegas. That night was Elvis' opening at the Hilton, but we did not have a reservation until the following night. Still, I was in hopes that Janey (Hilton photo girl and friend of Felton Jarvis, James Burton and others of Elvis' people) might get me up to Elvis' suite after the opening show. When I called her she said that James Burton had been over to her apartment with some friends the night before, and while he was fixing her TV mentioned to her that Elvis was very overweight but singing great. Janey had also talked to Red West . He was hiding out for some reason, and wanted her to buy his groceries for him. He said he would call back about the groceries, so we waited at Janey's apartment that night (since she was waiting by the phone), but he didn't call. As a result we didn't go up to Elvis' suite that night and he had come out of his bedroom.

19th - We went to the dinner show that night and the lines were impossible. Everytime we go, they get worse. Dispite a tip of $20.00 we were given a poor seat - far enough from the stage that I could not get my book to Elvis.

When Elvis came out on stage, and after the immense burst of applause filled the air, there was a slightly audible gasp from the crowd, as they stared at a very large Elvis. His abdomen up into his chest was extremely swollen. I say "swollen" as it was not fat. He was obviously on cartizone (or something of that nature) again. His arms and legs were thin, and his face only slightly puffy. He seemed embarassed, but his inner beauty and that glowing, handsome smile could not be daunted. (Janey told me that he was very heavy in March, also, and when he came out on stage he looked straight at the audience and said, "Okay, I'm fat. Now let's get on with the show.") His face was a pale, ashen color, and his breathing was labored. The lights in his eyes seemed to really bother him (probably the gloucoma). During many songs he shielded his eyes with his hands. His singing was controlled. I could tell he was trying not to sing too loud - to save himself, but sometimes he would get carried away and just burst through. It was as if the spirit of God was in him! (of course it was) As Elvis reachede his voice up into heaven on How Great Thou Art, my mother who had been praying for him, began to cry. But after such bursts of song he would almost whisper his singing. At one point he had his group sing a number and he walked off, looking very ill. He then returned a few moments later. Dispite his ill and bloated appearance the girls and women were still reaching for him and the applause was tremendous.

Janey met us after the show and around 1 AM I found myself on an elavator with her anticipating my arrival on the 30th floor. As we walked through the double doors into Elvis' Hilton suite I was astonished to learn from JAney that his room was just on the right after entering the suite. A very un-private location. Girls were sitting and guys were at the bar mixing drinks with urgent fevor. Elvis does not drink, but his employees live it up with booze at his expense. Everyone seemed very conscious that Elvis was in his bedroom.

Janey received hugs and hellos from all the guys and then Vernon came in, gave her a hug and she introduced me. He took my hand and in a voice as soothing and homey as his son's said ""You hand is cold, honey." It was -- I was freezing. Elvis liked "meatlocker" temperature. Vernon looked terrible. Had had recently had two serious heart attacks, and was pale and hollow-eyed. He retired after a few moments.

J.D. Sumner came along, apparently somewhat under the influence of his beverage, and tried some manuvers with Janey. She deftly out-manuvered his groping hands. Then he turned a foggy eye on me, and Janey nearly paniced - she may have been thinking of my mother waiting in the Hilton ladies room. However, J.D. lost his train of thought and kind of wandered off. I want to stress that nothing "elecit" was going on in the suite. It was mostly a kind of teasing game with them...at least in Elvis' suite.

Charlie Hodge breezed by with a full glass in his hand singing to himself, "Elvis loves me this I know 'cause the Colonel told me so." Then we saw a young girl come out of Elvis' bedroom. She stumbled out the three or four steps and landed on her knees. Two of Elvis' guys came over and with great excitment, she showed them a ring Elvis had just given to her. Janey then commented to me, "Oh, Elvis is giving away jewelry again." A few moments later another young girl came out of his bedroom, again in a state of extreme bliss. She ran over to Joe Esposito and showed him her gift. Janey told me that she was Joe's new girl friend (Joe was then separated from his wife).

Finally, a man came out of the bedroom and he was as excited as the girls had been. He dashed from one group of admirers to another showing off his prize ring. J.D. had previously shown us his gift from Elvis - a huge ring with diamonds covering it.

Soon Dr. Nick went into Elvis bedroom and stayed there for the remainder of our time in the suite. Elvis did not come out that night. Janey told me that Elvis has another doctor who gives Elvis whatever it takes to keep him on his feet, even if it is slowly killing him. Elvis is against "drugs", but like many people, he does not consider medicine perscribed by doctors as "drugs". Both doctors are dripping with jewels, cars and homes bestowed on them by a generous Elvis.

Janey told me that Elvis' current "girlfriends" are mostly girls he has never seen before or will again. He takes them into his bedroom and reads to them for hours. The material is mostly highly intellectual and spiritual. He tries to discuss it with them. The girls think it is silly (of course it is way over their heads), but they humor him. He usually falls asleep reading and only rarely does a girl get her night's reward for listening to him. Of course she often gets a ring to compensate her.

20th - This night we went to the midnight show. Janey told the Mater'D to seat us by the stage and she would join us before the show started. He apparently did not understand, and seated us in the back. I called Janey and she was furious. Finally, he sat us closer, but still too far away to hand him my book.

That night Elvis' face was even grayer. Every few moments Charlie was behind him with a chair, making him sit down. Finally Elvis exclaimed, "I told them I wanted two chairs - one at each end of the stage." Charlie shook his head "no". Elvis responded, "The Hilton can't afford to give me two chairs?" Again, a negative from Charlie. Elvis then muttered under his breath, "Well, Son of a Bitch." That was all. He didn't mention the chair again.

Elvis spoke of his documentary of five years ago (TTWII) and some man from the audience yelled, "You were alot younger then, Elvis!" Elvis looked over in the man's direction and in a tone of voice as if he had known this person all his life said, "Aw, shut up. You were alot younger then too, you damn fool!" He was scolding, but not angry.

Then he startede kissing the beggin girls by the stage. He gave them what he called "baby kisses" - "like I give my daughter, Lisa".

Elvis was on the stage for a very short time. After the show, Janey and I talked with James Burton and Glen Hardin. It was James' birthday, and Glen was trying to get James to go home, as friends were giving him a surprize party.

Elvis' "other" doctor was walking around wearing Elvis' horseshoe ring, which he had given him. I felt at that moement as if the good doctor was a shark in fancy clothing, having devoured his patient whole, leaving only the gleaming ring as evidence.

20th - Elvis canceled the remainder of his engagement and was flown to the Baptist hospital in Memphis.

Post subject: The last show
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:43 am 
Site Admin

Hi, Maia, that was very good observation. Yes, Elvis liked that room-it had another exit that they closed, locked and made it impossible for him to "Escape" unnoticed as he was apt to try to do at rare times. Once he made it down to the the 24th floor to visit friends and back before they had called in the police to look for him. He said he told them he went to the bathroom, what the hell! He had his own, so that pretty much told them to shut their mouth. I know he was really sick the last time we saw him there also-his colon was blocked, he refused surgery (he was scared) and they didn't give him any real assurance having it would help him very much so I can't blame him for fearing something like that when it would be useless in the end. He shouldn't have been up there but he had no choice-he flat said so. I only wish someone could have changed his mind-those doctors were I think doing what they were told-and Elvis just was trying to keep his word and do the job. Starla has one of his horseshoe rings-he had given it away, the lady who had it was dying and because of our book and because she had no family, no children she left the ring to Starla, her attorney sent it to Starla with a letter explaining the gift. It is white gold, it was his first horseshoe ring that he wore in the early days; it had weakened from wear, he had a "wooden fence with a horse head hanging over it added to it to strengthen the band and on the sides are eagles which were added to the band to restore it's roundness as he had warped it by wearing it so much. She of course treasures it and has only worn it well taped on a couple of times when she was performing with her band. She never sang any of his songs on stage-but she wrote songs that he would have enjoyed doing himself. Thank you for telling us about your last visit and getting upstairs. I think he gave away his jewlery because he wanted so to reach the people he met, to do something, to see them happy and have them remember him and in that state of mind and physically shot to hell as he put it, he couldn't do anything else-he was just too sick and he was grateful someone "cared" enough to come anyway. Who knows, he wasn't himself and there wasn't much he could do about coming back. The best thing I can think of when I go "there" is most of those people who were responsible for torturing him and I mean those who were so high and mighty and had control (not his people)
the mafia linked ones, have all come to bad ends since Elvis left us. They have been shot, died of severe medical problems, mysteriously ened up dead at their dinner tables after eating or drinking something and they died of old age. I'm sure they are receiving their just deserts-if not-they will in time. Again, thanks, though I know it was painful for you to do this. Wjh

Post subject: Re: Maia's report on Elvis, 1975 Vegas
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:42 pm 
Flame

Yesterday I was reading this post and I found it very interesting. And all the concerts was recorded too and I had the tapes. This's the setlist from all of them. And I listen to all the concerts and I enjoy it even I didn't know how ill he was at the time.

Monday August 18, 1975, Las Vegas, Nevada,
Las Vegas Hilton Hotel, Opening show Show: 1

See see rider
I got a woman
Love me
If you love me (let me knoe)
Blue suede shoes
Suspicious minds
My boy
Heartbreak Hotel
Pool Salad Annie
Johnny be goode
T.R.O.U.B.L.E
The wonder of you
Why me Lord
How great thou art

Tuesday August 19, 1975, Las Vegas, Nevada
Las Vegas Hilton Hotel, Diner show Show: 2

See see rider
I got a woman
Blue suede shoes
Let me be there
It's now or never
My boy
Love me
Loving you
Suspicious minds
Intro orchestra
T.R.O.U.B.L.E
Why me Lord
How great thou art
Crying in the chapel
Can't help falling in love

Tuesday August 19, 1975, Las Vegas, Nevada
Las Vegas Hilton Hotel, Midnight show Show: 3

See see rider
Blue suede shoes
Young and beautiful
Are you lonesome tonight?
If you love me (let me know)
It's now or never
Polk Salad Annie
Johnny be goode
T.R.O.U.B.L.E
Why me Lord
Love me tender
All shook up
Love me
Hound dog
My boy

Wednesday August 20, 1975, Las Vegas, Nevada
Las Vegas Hilton Hotel, Diner show Show: 4

See see rider
I got a woman/Amen
Hound dog
It's now or never
Are you lonesome tonight ?
And I love you so
Blue suede shoes
Green green grass of home
Fairytale
Softly as I leave you
Johnny be goode
T.R.O.U.B.L.E
Why me Lord
Until it's time for you to go
Burning love

Wednesday August 20, 1975, Las Vegas, Nevada
Las Vegas Hilton Hotel , Midnight show Show: 5

That's all right mama
See see rider
That's all right mama
I got a woman
Fever
If you love me (let me know)
Until it's time for you to go
Softly as I leave you
Burning love
Happy birthday
Johnny be goode
T.R.O.U.B.L.E
It's now or never
Why me Lord
Let me be there

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:57 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for posting that list. On Aug. 19th we (Suzy, her friend and I) went to
Vegas, saw the midnight show and next we saw the show (20th) where he sang "And I Love You So" which was one of Jimmie's favorites and he had told Elvis it was. Elvis thought Jimmie would be there because he knew we were coming. Jimmie did not go, we had gone earlier and he was there, but had to go home to work and
so he didn't want to go back, he'd already seen the show??? Well, Elvis had asked us all individually which songs we liked and did we have any from some other singer that he didn't do already, to tell him, and he'd see if he could cover them just for us. Well, Jimmie requested that song, so Elvis performed it for him I think because he had not sung that one any time we had been there until that night. He later asked if Jimmie liked it and I could not tell him that Jimmie
hadn't come over; I said Elvis, Jimmie likes anything you sing! Especially when you do it because it was one of his favorites. And Elvis never realized he wasn't in the audience. I guess it was sort of lying to him, but I didn't want him to think Jimmie didn't want to come back to see him perform. He never got to see him in Vegas again...but we did see all the concerts he gave around our area-
and for several miles away as well. I think when Elvis died Jimmie regretted not going back one more time...we all wished we had gone more even though we were there pretty often. Loyalty is a touchy thing- at times it hurts when we
feel we let someone down...it was almost like we HAD to be there because he
would be hurt if we weren't...and that was actually so. He understood, he never
expected any of us would go to the lengths we did...like sleeping on cement to get tickets! We had fun, he kind of was amazed and amused but he didn't fully understand why anyone would do "that" because we had seen a lot of his shows.
I don't think he could understand that "why"...but he was awed when it began
happening all across the United States! Somehow, I think people realized if they were going to see him...they'd better do it now. premonition -perhaps.
wanda

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:07 am 
Flame

Thanks Maia for sharing with us your memory of your last Elvis concert. As Wanda said, it must be hurtfull for people who know him personally and seing how sick he was but still trying to give his best for his fans because he don't wanted to let them down.

So often I ask myself question why all this people around him couldn't see how sick he was. Maybe they were too much into their own stuff of alkohol and drugs. Personally I think that he was crying out for help but nobody wanted to see or notice it.
All were only interested in their own well-being and sheared a damn whether he felt good or bad - as long as enough alcohol, drugs, and women were there to meet their own needs.
When I read all these stories, then more and more confirmed my opinion that all of these people / friends do not even cared as much about him as they always try to pretend. The main thing, he paid for everything and they had fun and satisfied themselves.
But at some point they have to pay for everything bad, what they have done - in one or another way.

Too many people took advantage of him - all his life. Certainly he knew or realized that and yet he was so generous. He was a man who really cared and loved his human fellows.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:33 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

As I see it, Elvis was “riding” on two different dimensions: this polarized 3D reality –now so obviously falling apart- and the one where he found inner strength and inspiration, the one where Love and Harmony permanently abide. Surely his physic body suffered fully the shock between realities. Only those near with an open awareness could understand the strain he was under. All the others could only make a lecture of what was happening with the lenses that the 3D could give them… Most probably Elvis almost never felt understood, with rare exceptions, and that is not an insignificant suffering, yet he certainly could use the alchemy of Love to make so much suffering bearable…

Nobody is to blame for the range of his/her awareness at any given moment of their evolutionary journey. Each step is valuable, priceless, no matter the apparent place in the scale it shows… I can only guess Elvis “knew” and this knowledge made him easily forgiving…

Elvis said: "LOVE is what it's all about." :*::*: Now I know it's true.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:59 am 
Site Admin

Hi, yep, we are like that...we mostly tend to be "surface" folks, then we dig into something and find it so hard to take, to believe and accept and like me, "stew over it" even knowing it's done, and HE handled it with grace and understanding as the guy he was born to be. On a higher level of spiritual growth than most of
the people I have known in the past and some in the present...myself I feel, is
more toward the bottom of the pile because I have had to learn a lot in how to deal with things and people's views. Thank heaven there are those among us who see beyond and above...all of them keep me on the path of growth in how
I see and feel things, seen now and recalled back then. Thanks Amanda for
helping me along that way; I am more black/gray and white/ecru level of seeing
things. Maybe that is a tad better than either black...or white... seems better!
Take care of yourself, Everyone! Give yourselves a hug, a pat on the back and
occasionally even a bow! In today's world we all need a little applause...
Love ya
wjh

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:26 pm 
Sun Dial

:( Thank You Maia for Posting when you saw Elvis in Concert, and I Know How Mad, Hurt, and How Much I Cried in Reading this. But I know you Felt all of these Even More Maia! :love:

Without you I am nothing an could never be so bold. The times we've shared, the laughter and the tears. Priceless memories, treasures all. How could I ever fail? With you I don't fear that at all. Elvis Presley!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:28 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

Wanda June Hill wrote:
Hi, yep, we are like that...we mostly tend to be "surface" folks, then we dig into something and find it so hard to take, to believe and accept and like me, "stew over it" even knowing it's done, and HE handled it with grace and understanding as the guy he was born to be. On a higher level of spiritual growth than most of
the people I have known in the past and some in the present...myself I feel, is
more toward the bottom of the pile because I have had to learn a lot in how to deal with things and people's views. Thank heaven there are those among us who see beyond and above...all of them keep me on the path of growth in how
I see and feel things, seen now and recalled back then. Thanks Amanda for
helping me along that way; I am more black/gray and white/ecru level of seeing
things. Maybe that is a tad better than either black...or white... seems better!
Take care of yourself, Everyone! Give yourselves a hug, a pat on the back and
occasionally even a bow! In today's world we all need a little applause...
Love ya
wjh

It's YOU, dear Wanda, the one to be thanked -now and always- for your efforts and BIG heart, so warm, loving, honest, generous...! :love:

Have you considered that what we are expressing here (each one) might well be an infinitesimal portion of our total Being, just "tailored" to the purpose of our presence in this lifetime? 8)

Our culture shapes our ways of thinking with limiting points of view and stereotypes... But we can try and joyfully be open to see the full color range of the rainbow...! :bouncy: :P :hello:

Elvis said: "LOVE is what it's all about." :*::*: Now I know it's true.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:23 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

Thanks everyone for your posts here. I've enjoyed reading this thread. Sorry to be so brief, but it is late. I wanted to at least give my acknowledgement. :D

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]